Sky InsuranceBadger5
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mjr901
  • 1 Post By c_w

Thread: Bought 2006 Audi A3 Sportback and came with towbar,but has it actually been removed?!

Reverse Gear

Status

Bought 2006 Audi A3 Sportback and came with towbar,but has it actually been removed?!

Hey guys I recently bought a 2006 Audi A3 Sportback SE 2.0 tdi. It's the BKD engine, has full service history and 162k miles on the clock. When I bought the car from a local garage it came with a towbar. They said they will remove it for free, but I don't think they actually have. The tow 'ball' the thing sticking out from the rear has been removed but I'm not so sure whether they have removed the bits connecting to the chassis. I have attached a photo, so please tell me your thoughts.

20140111_142117.jpg

Also the timing belt/water pump was due. The garage (who seemed very dodgy) told me that if I buy the parts, they will fit that in free of charge. So I bought the cem belt kit and waterpump and thermostat for around £135 in total from eurocarparts and gave them the parts to fit. How can I ensure that they have actually done the work instead of just stealing my parts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    unclip top of timing belt cover and a visual inspection to see if the belt looks new ,it should be pretty obvious, also ask for the old parts they should have them there for proof they have been swapped .

as for the towbar the bumper needs removing to get rid of the rest of the towbar .

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hollow View Post
    unclip top of timing belt cover and a visual inspection to see if the belt looks new ,it should be pretty obvious, also ask for the old parts they should have them there for proof they have been swapped .

as for the towbar the bumper needs removing to get rid of the rest of the towbar .
    do you think this is a factory fitted tow bar? is it connected to the rear bumper beam? so if that's the case it isn't really worth me taking it out is it?

5th Gear

Status
    I had one of these on my old A4 TDI Avant... I asked audi could they just take it off for me... cos its a part of the rear assembly new parts have to be ordered. they quoted me nearly £500 all in to take it off........ I left it... lol
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    I'd have left it on, stuck a tennis ball on it.

They're quite useful in parking manoeuvres when your not concentrating.
    NHN and y2kcurran like this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

4th Gear

Status
    you need a new rear bumper bar as the towbar replaces it.

that doesnt look factory, the bumper looks cut.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Remember also you're carry a substantial amount of unneccessary weight back there, a tow bar beam is usuallt very heavy bolted to the back of the car.
    NHN likes this.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You'd need to as said, remove bumper, remove the towbar main unit that also acts as your rear bump bar, then fit a bump bar, refit bumper with possibly replacing the valance or plastic weld/paint the gap.

The part thats sticking down is probably bolted onto the main unit, you can always unbolt this part only & leave rest on, have a look & decide best option for you.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks for all the input guys. I have managed to find a rear bumper reinforcer for my car at a scrap yard for £25. I am assuming this is the same thing as a rear bumper bar/beam or whatever it's called?
    What sort of weight saving can I expect?