DSG Launch Control whats your veiws

• Thread starter imported_S_Line
  • Start date
I

imported_S_Line

I have used the launch control a few times, mainly when I'm in a traffic jam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif to catch up with the car in front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But i have noticed that on the 3.2 the Launch control is slower to take off than just planting the throttle from tick-over.

This is what i have found

Launch Control:

Engage 1st, turn off traction control, put you left foot on the brake and then the right foot hard on the throttle.
Car sits there revving at about 3200 rpm- nothing too high.

Then to launch you just take your foot off the brake.

I have found there to be a slight delay int power coming in. Its not as you take your foot off the brake it engages... its more like - You fully take your foot of the brake then 0.5 of a second later off it goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now - From Tick-over.

Engage S mode turn off traction control.

Engine on tick-over...

Then floor the throttle, it instantly takes off. In fact quicker (as there isn't the Launch control delay from the brake) off the mark.

If i was running at the POD, i would launch from Tick over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How does this compare with the other engines out there ?

THe TDi
the 2.0 T

etc ?
do you find the same thing ? are the Revs on the launch control higher or lower ?

Brian

No launch control on 2.0TDi, but if I wanted to make an easy fast getaway, I'd use your tickover approach.

Manual mode is possible but catching it before it autochanges makes maual mode tricky in the first 2 gears. Short shifting (3500rpm) in the diesel usually gives the best performance as you maintain the engine in the torqueband.

When you say engage 1st, is that in manual mode ? Pretty sure launch control only operates in S mode.... ?!

[ QUOTE ]
Manual mode is possible but catching it before it autochanges makes maual mode tricky in the first 2 gears. Short shifting (3500rpm) in the diesel usually gives the best performance as you maintain the engine in the torqueband.

[/ QUOTE ]

I conducted an evening of acceleration (or gathering momentum,as it should be called in the diesel..) tests using all modes,and posted the best times on here some time back (from memory,around 8.7 seconds to 60 and 26 seconds to 100 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I tried every combination of manual/D/S/ESP I could think of.

The fastest times (0-60 and 0-100) were obtained by simply putting it in 'S' and flooring it (ESP off to allow a small amount of wheelspin at take-off,rather than power sapping traction control).

For me,it put paid to the 'change up early/don't rev it out' argument that is commonly used in connection with the diesel.

For normal driving in the diesel,I agree that changing up earlier gives a 'better' drive,but NOT a faster one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not in my standard car anyway.

Interesting stuff bowfer, thanks.

You may be right about the difference between speed and smoothness using the full rev band instead of short shifting. My short shifting technique comes from the 6sp Golf experience, where revving the nuts off doesn't mean the gearbox deciding to change up for you. As I said earlier, in the lower gears, the gearbox makes the changes anyway, but 3rd/4th and 4th/5th I normally hit the paddle about 3500, which keeps the engine in the sweet spot. The best place for me to try acceration times is at GTi International this year where they have the full timing setup.

There is an in-car device based around accelerometers with a GPS option, but it costs a few quid so I might forget that for a few months. It's touted as a cheap alternative to a RR session or as a useful trackday tool.

Redwing - you can use launch control in the 3.2 if you put the stick in manual mode too, not just S mode. It will still change up automatically at the red line. Same ESP off and left foot braking applies.

I always found the 0.5 second delay frustrating and found the normal stamp on the pedal with ESP off approach to be just as quick given no delay. Also means you are not sitting at the lights at 3200rpm if you want a quick getaway.

Why is so important to get away so fast from traffic lights etc. It not supposed to be a race. I just release the brake and accelerate and still get away quicker than most other traffic but if something gets away quicker, so what.

Perhaps on a track, but not in everyday use on the road.

[ QUOTE ]
Why is so important to get away so fast from traffic lights etc. It not supposed to be a race. I just release the brake and accelerate and still get away quicker than most other traffic but if something gets away quicker, so what.

Perhaps on a track, but not in everyday use on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know that when there is some little idiot in a 1.1 fiesta revving the nuts off it with his lardarse stupid mates in the car, if I'm not taking the moral (I don't need to prove anything) high ground I occasionally just feel like showing them what a "proper" car will do off the lights. Childish I know, it's also sometimes useful to get past the monkeys that don't realise that the white sign with the black line actually means 60Mph on a single carrigeway not 35!

I also occasionally like seeing how fast my car will go on empty roads... I take it you don't ever like to experience the performance of your car... oh... oh no... I've just seen you've got a diesel... that explains it... oops guess that's another argument started /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have more than once found a real use for launch control... there's a petrol station near Chiswick that's on a 50mph limit dual carraigeway, without much in the way of a slip road and very little chance of a gap forming in the traffic to gently coast into... works a treat, and is probably safer than making traffic brake behind me!

oh, and when some **** is obviously going to cut me up at the lights of course he-he /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dartford Crossing toll booths are normally when I test the 0-60 time, much to my wife's annoyance!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good man... I've played that game everytime I've been there, unfortunately I still have to move a gearstick about, I have to admit some of these threads are making me think I should get a car with DSG, think I see a test drive on the horizon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Yes I must admit in such situations I tend to just stick it in Sport mode and floor the throttle - generally looses most cars - even with a diesel. But that's probably more to do with dozy drivers than fast cars !

I do very much enjoy the experience of driving my car, and driving it fast in some situations (as the 6 points on my licence from mobile speed cameras testifies) but I don't get much from the traffic light grand prix. Thats for 'boy racers' in Corsas or Fiestas not mature drivers in Audis !

PS: I also get a lot of enjoyment out of this forum.

cheers rob.... didn't realise that, but it makes sense. To be honest I've only used the launch function twice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif and that was purely out of curiosity.... S mode & foot to the floor does the job quite nicely !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dartford Crossing toll booths are normally when I test the 0-60 time, much to my wife's annoyance!

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be a thing with A3 drivers & toll booths - M6 Toll Road, South Bound, 5.30 am......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thats for 'boy racers' in Corsas or Fiestas not mature drivers in Audis !

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said... I clearly have a mental age of a 3 year old so it's not a problem for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
PS: I also get a lot of enjoyment out of this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too and it's nice to see some people on here can take a joke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

S-Line -

The launch control is only available on the 3.2 quattro.

It would be useless on a 2WD cos of wheel spin and wouldn't work very well on a turbo (petrol or diesel) as the torque isn't there until the turbo is spinning which it wouldn't be on the light throttle fast-idle that the launch control uses.

Bowfer -

On the 2.0TFSI the DSG waits so long to shift up at the top of the revs that the car has slowed because its run out of steam at high revs, this is in S D or M. Short shifting yourself is the only option. Peak power is at 5500 and DSG it lets wheeze round to to 7K before up shifting.

Didn't want to mention it but i've just ordered a BMW today anyway. (manual)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Ohh yes ! Its what the Tolls were made for 12 Lanes into 3 !!

GO GO GO !!!

and as for the Tunnel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif