Oil change every 5k, help please.

davesimmo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a Dec 08 TDI 170.
it Is almost on 97k and is booked in for a service next weekend.
I intend to run this car until it's time for the scrap yard or uneconomical to maintain.
It has full history on the long life service plan.
After hearing horror stories about the potential DPF issues, I have decided that for the sake of the cost of oil and genuine filter, I am going to change them every 5k myself after the next service. potentially prolonging the life of the engine etc.
I am still going to service it when it flags up too.
My question is....... What is the best oil to use on the 170, as people say it uses different oil to the 140 to prevent DPF issues.
your help is appreciated peeps.
thanks

Quantum 5w30 fully synthetic. Get it from Audi parts desk, genuine oil.

PDF issues mainly happen due to lack of prolonged highish engine speed and or short trips.

PDF issues mainly happen due to lack of prolonged highish engine speed and or short trips.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I was told that you need to use correct oil for the 170 to reduce soot production.
Even without a DPF I would be looking to change the oil regular, for the sake of £40-50 every 5k. Wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't intend to run the car into the ground. :yes:

I echo your thoughts about shorter than suggested oil.changes. Our run around car is a Clio 1.2 with 108,000 on the clock. I believe the suggested interval is every 18,000 for the oil change but I do it every 5-6,000 with good quality oil. The oil pressure is excellent and I rarely have to add any between the changes. No sign of impending doom at the moment!!

Reactions: davesimmo
5k is very extreme tbh mate, 8k is the lowest I would do on these modern engines, we used to do on 6k on my engineers mondeo's & my mk3 golfs back in the 90's which was considered good back then, your choice of course, but I would call that unnecessary for that age of car & mileage fella.

I change the oil in my 170 every 6/7k, usually March and September. Diesels work the oil harder I think, especially the detergent side of it, for those who never keep cars long it doesn't really matter, and AUDI's service schedule is partly formed for fleet saleability and to demonstrate low running costs to buyers, plus perhaps to reduce the lifetime of the car so you buy another one! but I can sometimes keep cars 10yrs or so and for the £35 in parts for VW 507(?) oil for DPF engine plus a filter it's a cheap and easy job to do.

Nige my S3 scoffs oil at an alarming rate........I havent really driven her all that much since November and I still did an interim oil change as the light came on again. I have to do 2 in a year. Audi reckon that is acceptable for that kind of engine..........600-1000 miles per litre is normal oil consumption according to them.

Sounds like you never need to change your oil then ! :D Just keep putting a fresh 1litre in every 1000miles and it will always be new oil!

Reactions: NHN and Brodster
I echo your thoughts about shorter than suggested oil.changes. Our run around car is a Clio 1.2 with 108,000 on the clock. I believe the suggested interval is every 18,000 for the oil change but I do it every 5-6,000 with good quality oil. The oil pressure is excellent and I rarely have to add any between the changes. No sign of impending doom at the moment!!

Good stuff.... Be interesting to see how many miles your little French frog muncher can last for. No harm in excessive oil changing. :)

5k is very extreme tbh mate, 8k is the lowest I would do on these modern engines, we used to do on 6k on my engineers mondeo's & my mk3 golfs back in the 90's which was considered good back then, your choice of course, but I would call that unnecessary for that age of car & mileage fella.

Thanks form the advice. On second thoughts I may do it every 7-8k thinking about what you said. I do nearly 2k a month so would always be changing the oil :thumbsup:

I change the oil in my 170 every 6/7k, usually March and September. Diesels work the oil harder I think, especially the detergent side of it, for those who never keep cars long it doesn't really matter, and AUDI's service schedule is partly formed for fleet saleability and to demonstrate low running costs to buyers, plus perhaps to reduce the lifetime of the car so you buy another one! but I can sometimes keep cars 10yrs or so and for the £35 in parts for VW 507(?) oil for DPF engine plus a filter it's a cheap and easy job to do.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly, design the service schedule to appeal to fleet and lease companies, rather than the private buyer. Wrong really, because people like us that intend to keep a car until dooms day, end up having to change sooner because of lack of maintenance.
So like you say, for the cost of a filter and genuine oil, it's worth doing regular.
Just think my 5k estimate was a bit OTT after what NHN said.
So will up it a bit. :)

Nige my S3 scoffs oil at an alarming rate........I havent really driven her all that much since November and I still did an interim oil change as the light came on again. I have to do 2 in a year. Audi reckon that is acceptable for that kind of engine..........600-1000 miles per litre is normal oil consumption according to them.

Yeah audi's 1 litre per 1k is a little OTT for allot of the cars tbh, our S4 B6 used to drink it, but not at that rate, the B8 tfsi engines iirc suffer from ridiculously bad oil consumption & its about 4k to fix it, we're talking litres of the stuff.

Whats your consumption rate?