rear wiper scratching the paint.

heap1000

Reaction score
Just noticed my rear wiper is sitting very low so it is touching the paint work. It seems to have scratched my paintwork also. Is there a way of tightening it up so it sits on the glass. Thanks

Sorry to he a novice but is it obvious to tell if the arm is broken? Is it a case of takingthe plastic cover off and undoing a bolt, realigning the arm then tightening the bolt back up?

Thanks for your reply.

pretty easy as long as it comes off the splines ok!

if its sweeping ok then Id just move it and forget about it.

It moves ok. It just seems to be hitting the paint work with the end and always comes to rest on the paint work instead of the windows.

Will try and take a look if it ever stops raining!

Had the same problem, just needs to be reset.
Be careful when removing, as mine was rusted on and too much pressure might crack the rear window.

My local mechanic had a wiper arm removal tool which is how I got it off.

May have a go at this myself tomorrow!

Reactions: jphc
Just had a look under the plastic clip and it is the wiper arm that has snapped!

Where is the best place to buy a replacement? Also the nut looks quite rusty so guessing I may struggle?

mine used to do this too, i sorted it by replacing the wiper arm with one from a mk5 golf, as i had to replace my motor anyway, it doesnt look like an RSJ sitting on the back windscreen now :happy:

Does the golf one fit ok? Just looked on ebay and the mk5 golf ones seem to be roughly £10 cheaper.

It fits perfect I've had it on there for over a year, and the wiper motor itself is from a mk4 golf estate. Works all the same, fittings all the same etc

Would the arm fit straight on to mine or would I need to change the motor too?