No Castrol SLX Longlife II, which Castrol Edge?

cdb2

Reaction score
With my Sportback 2.0 FSI I received my complimentary litre of Castrol SLX Longlife II 0W-30 oil.

1) I undertsand this is VW 503.00 spec. Am I correct that 503.00 is now covered by a new spec VW 504.00?

2) I undertsand that Castrol SLX Longlife II has been replaced by Castrol Edge. I am correct that I should be getting Castrol Edge 5W-30 now? If so, why is it 5W-30 and not 0W-30?

3) Found a doc on tyresmoke which I think Dave R wrote which says "Castrol Edge 5W-30 meets the new VW 504.00 and 507.00" but also says "Castrol Edge 5W-40 meets VW 504.00 + 507.00". 5W-40 seems to be a diesel oil not one for Petrols, so was the last statement a typo Dave? I'm confused!

4) Is it ok to mix Longlife and the Edge product that has replaced it?

Cheers.

Hi cdb2

As I understand the position with regard to your questions:

1) Yes 503.00 would be the correct oil for the 2.0FSI and that is now covered by 504.00

2) Yes Castrol Edge has replaced Castrol Longlife II. There are 3 versions of Castrol Edge - 0w-30 that meets 502.00 / 503.01 /505.00, 5w-30 that meets the new 504.00 and 507.00 and Turbo Diesel 5w-40 that meets the requirements of 505.01

3) Castrol Edge 5w-30 meets 504.00 and 507.00 The 5w-40 version is actual called Turbo Diesel 5w-40 and meets 505.01 which is for PD Diesel engines such as the 2.0TDI.

4) As far as I know it's OK to mix Longlife with Edge.

Yes it was my document on Tyresmoke. I have amended it to remove the reference to Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w-40 to clear up any confusion.If anyone wants a copy it can be downloaded here

Thanks for that Dave. Your document was very helpful otherwise I (and I expect others) wouldn't have known about the new specifications of 504 and 507 - pity VAG don't let people know!

When I looked at your doc just now it still said "Castrol Edge 5W-40 meets VW 504.00 + 507.00" btw!

I did email Castrol yesterday and they confirmed too that 503 is now covered by 504 and that I should use EDGE 5W-30.

He also added:

"Castrol EDGE 5W-30 - the previous SLX Longlife II oil was a 0W-30
viscosity to 503 00 / 506 00 / 506 01 specification - you'll notice that
as well as the new viscosity the specification on the EDGE 5W-30 is VW
504 00 / 507 00 - this is the latest VW specification for the VW
Longlife oil.

The EDGE 5W-30 is suitable for all Audi vehicles on both variable and
fixed servicing and VW cars on variable servicing with the exception of
- VW R5 and V10 TDi engines (Touareg) and VW Commercial vehicles without
fitted DPF (diesel particulate filters) - these must use the 506 01
specification oil (SLX Longlife II) - contact your VW/Audi dealer for
this product.

VW cars fitted with PD diesel engines on fixed servicing (VW 505 01)
must use the EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40 "

Am I correct then that you 2.0TDI guys will also use the EDGE 5W-30 since the EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40 is only for fixed servicing?

Thanks cdb2, I obviously uploaded the old version again - now sorted.

As you say it looks like we'll be using Edge 5w-30 as well.

I contacted Castrol to get official guidance on mixing and asked:

"One of your colleagues kindly explained that I should now use EDGE
5W-30 as this has replaced Castrol SLX Longlife II 0W-30 oil for my
vehicle spec. Once my litre of Castrol SLX Longlife II 0W-30 oil is used
up I'll clearly now have to buy Edge 5W-30 to top up with instead.

Presumably it is ok to mix Castrol SLX Longlife II 0W-30 oil and Edge
5W-30?"

Reply received was:

"My colleague was correct, although you can still get the Longlife II
from your VW agent - however, yes, you can mix the Longlife II and EDGE
5W-30 so the EDGE will be fine for top up, and future refill."

Hope this is of use to you guys. Castrol are very impressive when it comes to customer service, my emails have been answered in a matter of hours.

Dave R : whilst searching for info on oil I found a post of yours from last September about your service saying the Long Life Oil was £24.99 - was this for the full 4.3litres as that is very cheap and cheaper than presumably Halfords would be. I thought I'd read people being charged up to £80 for their oil by dealers so assumed it would be cheaper to buy at Halfords and take it with you for the service?

Yes it was a full AVS service so all the oil was drained and refilled. The cost of the service at my local Audi dealer seems to be very competitive compared with the price others have been paying.

This particular dealer has both supplied and seviced all my 5 A3s and I have always been very pleased with the work and the customer service I have received.

The dealer is Vindis Audi in Huntingdon - telephone 01480 45 45 45.

If I remember correctly another member of the forum travelled down from, I think, Nottingham to have a service done. They were much cheaper than his local dealer and he was very pleased with them as well.

I took Davids advice and travelled to them from Herts as they were about £150 cheaper than the Fantastic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif HItchin Audi. They are one of the only dealers that seems to value their customers, in my experience.