2.0tdi 140 remap

dannyh1991uk

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi, few topics about remapping but as i have little knowledge on this i thought id ask on here.

I want to remap my 2006 2.0tdi 140bhp A3. Only problem is iv heard about the turbo problems...
Iv read somewhere that this happens when the new map is pushed too far and is trying to get too much out the engine, i only want to take it up to 170bhp (if the limit for the turbo is 185?)

Car is on 60,000 miles and obviously want this to last me a long while, especially without forking out for blown turbos. :/

Could somebody please advise?

get it remaped! dont worry about the turbo! BUT DONT GET the DPF removed, as from the new MOT rules you wont pass anymore.
Im not sure about remapping but without removing the filter you probably wont make those figures you stated.

Im sure someone with knowledge will talk some sense :p

Aha thanks for the reply.

I don't think i have a DPF on my model :s

I just don't understand if a remap has to be a certain brand (eg Revo) and gives set specifications or if you just go somewhere and you tell them what you want. :/ lol

Other ways of adding BHP to a 2.0tdi 140? Iv read aftermarket panel air filters are pants lol

That 2006 model wont have a DPF fitted as the older PD140's didnt have them. If it did and the DPF delete was done correctly it would still pass as its a visual inspection only.

Right then so to the remapping saga.......the turbo will take up to about 200bhp but at that it will be struggling. A Shark Stage 1 goes to about 175/180bhp and transforms the car and can be verified by alot of ASN members......regardless of what map it is. Whoever you do choose you wont be disappointed. A Stage 1 remap will put more strain on your engine so if the car has been reliable and well serviced there shouldn't be a problem. Stage 1 is normally fine on the clutch but you can never tell so to be on the safe side budget for a new one further down the line after the remap.

Last edited:
Thank you, great advice :)

Only just brought the car from BMW as it was a part ex... They've took it to Audi to get it serviced and checked including new timing belt... So fingers crossed its all in good condition... Looks and feels it :)

I drive on the motorway quite often, would this affect anything? However I would resist taking the revs into the red

Well having a decent remap on a tdi would increase your MPG, and you wouldn't need to rev as high to overtake etc.

As stated above might want to factor in a clutch, as they tend to be the first thing that goes with a remap. No obvious faults for remaping a TDi140, although some people tend to do an egr delete. Just make sure the mapping company is happy with the health of the car before they start the mapping.

My TDI 140 is from 2006, with 117K miles on it - re-mapped.
It goes like a bomb. MPG is great - 50mpg on the motorway without trying(driving normally). Would definitely recommend it.

Saying that, the turbo has been reconditioned (around 115K miles), and a new clutch&DMFlywheel was put in a while back (But Id consider those general age/wear for the car). Otherwise its rock solid.

Cheers for the info guys :)

Sliced, good call, i'll have to make sure they check it out to make sure it wont ruin anything. But im sorry i don't know what an EGR is :/ i'll have to get on google aha.

And Matt, what did you get yours mapped to? Id be happy with 170bhp.
Are all maps pretty much the same? Or can you have a custom map where you chose the specs?
True about the wear, happens to all cars :) just a pain in the pocket when it does happen.

Quick photo from the original graphs, after the map - was done at RS Tuning.
2014 01 06 213313
2014 01 06 213318

And yes, looks like its 171 HP.

That looks mint... Seriously considering it now lol just had an email back from the place where my mate had his Ibiza FR doneImageUploadedByTapatalk1389045513458569

Had mine mapped to 175 on 60 odd thousand and the remap destroyed the turbo after a few months. Goes like a bomb as mentioned, but the reconditioned turbo that was fitted makes all the same horrid noises as my old one did when it blew. Get a warranty if your mapping it mate. The turbo will blow I can guarantee.

Had mine mapped to 175 on 60 odd thousand and the remap destroyed the turbo after a few months. Goes like a bomb as mentioned, but the reconditioned turbo that was fitted makes all the same horrid noises as my old one did when it blew. Get a warranty if your mapping it mate. The turbo will blow I can guarantee.

That just sounds like bad luck, surely you cant say every turbo remapped will blow? lol :p

Hmm... Can somebody please give me some peace of mind that i have just brought a reliable car? Lmao
(Minus after market xenon and remap problems) i don't mind usual wear and tear, have friends in breakdown recovery so may be able to get stuff trade price from likes of EuroPart if i really need lol.

You've bought a 2006 so Youve avoided the cracked heads and you've not got a 170 so you've avoided injector problems. Even with all their problems the 140 is awesome, honest haha

Reactions: DriverN00B and southylad
Lmao i'll take it from you...
Thanks for your advice mate, only problem now is waiting to finally pick it up on Wednesday :( not been this excited since i was a kid! aha

drive it and enjoy it first then get a remap use a reputable tuner when you do
but as brodster says a remap will put strains on other components on the car so be prepared it's a slippery slope sometimes when you enter the tuning game

drive it and enjoy it first then get a remap use a reputable tuner when you do
but as brodster says a remap will put strains on other components on the car so be prepared it's a slippery slope sometimes when you enter the tuning game
in trade they do call them chocolate turbos ,there the most common turbo to fail ,seen brother changing 1 every day of the week sometimes even on un-mapped cars .If its going to go it will remapped or not .

Thinking of remapping my BKD too just worried about it voiding insurance.

Remapped my BKD last year on almost 120,000 miles (Shark stage 1) 6,000 miles in now and no problems with anything apart from grip up the front end due to the torque :)

I do quite often drive it like it's stolen too :) so much fun after getting out of my 75bhp work van

Before i got my 2.0T this week I had an A4 Avant 140TDI.. I got it on 116k and stuck a performance chip on it which took it to 163bhp. It used to send the front wheels spinning if you floored it too hard and chucked tons of crap out the back lol. after a few months i got too scared thinking the turbo would go as it was still on original turbo after all those miles. I sold it with 147k on it and its still on original turbo...i suspect that will go soon haha! After a service at audi once they asked if it was remapped due to the extra power. They advised not to chip or remap 140TDI's due to something to do with the bore of the cyclinders under strain. ofc I had no god damn idea what he was going on about nor did I care as it was probably a ploy to make me rebuke and do it so they had an excuse to repair something and charge £13billion an hour in labour. Its all about luck with cars whether remapped or not in my eyes. anything could blow up one day to the next. But the TDI are workhorses when they actually work!

The 140 can be remapped to 170bhp without ANY increase in turbo boost pressure if needed, it's only if you want to go to 180-185 you need more boost. The extra comes from optimised timing and a richer mixture on full power, but it's still not a smoker - at least not when I do it :)

Rick

At least the BKDs don't have the oil balance shaft issue, which completely wrecks the entire engine if it goes. 2.0 TDIs, like the 1.9s all have VVT Turbos and if they don't get treated right they will gum up, some can be cleaned, some get changed cause garages are too lazy to fix them. They need to be serviced properly and with the correct oil, if you remap them there's added stress on them so that will incease the likleyhood of any weaker mechanical part giving up the ghost. Siren noises for example aren't necessarily a knackered Turbo but if you take it to enough garages someone will eventually take your grand off you and give you a recon turbo.
Have to say I don't think it's a BKD problem, it's a VVT Turbo problem but on the up side, you get more power and better delivery than a non-VVT, it's a reason why you like your Audi so much, when it's working, you pays your money and all that. Looking at the links above, some really good info there but not eveyone is saying they have a BKD and some are talking about DPFs, as far as I know BKDs are 140bhp and don't have DPFs, unless the later ones did but I think the engine codes were different, correct me if I am wrong.
I have a BKD myself and no issues, am I glad I bought it, Yes in the face of other more expensive problems I think it's a good engine and if I have to clean/replace the turbo at some stage, there are worse things. Another point is, anyone wh was lucky enough to get an engine out of Audi due to balance shaft issues more often that not got a BKD, so obviously Audi themselves thought it was one of the more reliable, better engines.