JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By smurfworth

Thread: 2.0tdi 140 remap

1st Gear

Status

2.0tdi 140 remap

Hi, few topics about remapping but as i have little knowledge on this i thought id ask on here.

I want to remap my 2006 2.0tdi 140bhp A3. Only problem is iv heard about the turbo problems...
    Iv read somewhere that this happens when the new map is pushed too far and is trying to get too much out the engine, i only want to take it up to 170bhp (if the limit for the turbo is 185?)

Car is on 60,000 miles and obviously want this to last me a long while, especially without forking out for blown turbos. :/

Could somebody please advise?
    Using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    get it remaped! dont worry about the turbo! BUT DONT GET the DPF removed, as from the new MOT rules you wont pass anymore.
    Im not sure about remapping but without removing the filter you probably wont make those figures you stated.

Im sure someone with knowledge will talk some sense :P
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Aha thanks for the reply.

I don't think i have a DPF on my model :s

I just don't understand if a remap has to be a certain brand (eg Revo) and gives set specifications or if you just go somewhere and you tell them what you want. :/ lol

Other ways of adding BHP to a 2.0tdi 140? Iv read aftermarket panel air filters are pants lol
    Using Tapatalk

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    That 2006 model wont have a DPF fitted as the older PD140's didnt have them. If it did and the DPF delete was done correctly it would still pass as its a visual inspection only.

Right then so to the remapping saga.......the turbo will take up to about 200bhp but at that it will be struggling. A Shark Stage 1 goes to about 175/180bhp and transforms the car and can be verified by alot of ASN members......regardless of what map it is. Whoever you do choose you wont be disappointed. A Stage 1 remap will put more strain on your engine so if the car has been reliable and well serviced there shouldn't be a problem. Stage 1 is normally fine on the clutch but you can never tell so to be on the safe side budget for a new one further down the line after the remap.
    Last edited by Brodster; 6th January 2014 at 18:54.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

1st Gear

Status
    Thank you, great advice

Only just brought the car from BMW as it was a part ex... They've took it to Audi to get it serviced and checked including new timing belt... So fingers crossed its all in good condition... Looks and feels it

I drive on the motorway quite often, would this affect anything? However I would resist taking the revs into the red
    Using Tapatalk

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Well having a decent remap on a tdi would increase your MPG, and you wouldn't need to rev as high to overtake etc.

As stated above might want to factor in a clutch, as they tend to be the first thing that goes with a remap. No obvious faults for remaping a TDi140, although some people tend to do an egr delete. Just make sure the mapping company is happy with the health of the car before they start the mapping.
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

1st Gear

Status
    My TDI 140 is from 2006, with 117K miles on it - re-mapped.
    It goes like a bomb. MPG is great - 50mpg on the motorway without trying(driving normally). Would definitely recommend it.

Saying that, the turbo has been reconditioned (around 115K miles), and a new clutch&DMFlywheel was put in a while back (But Id consider those general age/wear for the car). Otherwise its rock solid.

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers for the info guys

Sliced, good call, i'll have to make sure they check it out to make sure it wont ruin anything. But im sorry i don't know what an EGR is :/ i'll have to get on google aha.

And Matt, what did you get yours mapped to? Id be happy with 170bhp.
    Are all maps pretty much the same? Or can you have a custom map where you chose the specs?
    True about the wear, happens to all cars just a pain in the pocket when it does happen.
    Using Tapatalk

1st Gear

Status
    Quick photo from the original graphs, after the map - was done at RS Tuning.
    2014-01-06 21.33.13.jpg
    2014-01-06 21.33.18.jpg

And yes, looks like its 171 HP.

1st Gear

Status
    That looks mint... Seriously considering it now lol just had an email back from the place where my mate had his Ibiza FR doneImageUploadedByTapatalk1389045513.458569.jpg
    Using Tapatalk

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry to hijak - what would a decent tdi remap cost?

1st Gear

Status
    Aha no problem, more info the better...
    Im hoping for around £250 maybe?
    Using Tapatalk

5th Gear

Status
    Had mine mapped to 175 on 60 odd thousand and the remap destroyed the turbo after a few months. Goes like a bomb as mentioned, but the reconditioned turbo that was fitted makes all the same horrid noises as my old one did when it blew. Get a warranty if your mapping it mate. The turbo will blow I can guarantee.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    Had mine mapped to 175 on 60 odd thousand and the remap destroyed the turbo after a few months. Goes like a bomb as mentioned, but the reconditioned turbo that was fitted makes all the same horrid noises as my old one did when it blew. Get a warranty if your mapping it mate. The turbo will blow I can guarantee.
    That just sounds like bad luck, surely you cant say every turbo remapped will blow? lol :P

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Foulds View Post
    That just sounds like bad luck, surely you cant say every turbo remapped will blow? lol :P
    You obviously don't know the bkd very well..

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    You obviously don't know the bkd very well..
    O... lol. sounds like a bad model lol

5th Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Hmm... Can somebody please give me some peace of mind that i have just brought a reliable car? Lmao
    (Minus after market xenon and remap problems) i don't mind usual wear and tear, have friends in breakdown recovery so may be able to get stuff trade price from likes of EuroPart if i really need lol.
    Using Tapatalk

5th Gear

Status
    You've bought a 2006 so Youve avoided the cracked heads and you've not got a 170 so you've avoided injector problems. Even with all their problems the 140 is awesome, honest haha
    southylad and DriverN00B like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Lmao i'll take it from you...
    Thanks for your advice mate, only problem now is waiting to finally pick it up on Wednesday not been this excited since i was a kid! aha
    Using Tapatalk

flying oyster

Status
    drive it and enjoy it first then get a remap use a reputable tuner when you do
    but as brodster says a remap will put strains on other components on the car so be prepared it's a slippery slope sometimes when you enter the tuning game
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by flying oyster View Post
    drive it and enjoy it first then get a remap use a reputable tuner when you do
    but as brodster says a remap will put strains on other components on the car so be prepared it's a slippery slope sometimes when you enter the tuning game
    in trade they do call them chocolate turbos ,there the most common turbo to fail ,seen brother changing 1 every day of the week sometimes even on un-mapped cars .If its going to go it will remapped or not .

1st Gear

Status
    Cant you just stick on a turbo from a 170bhp a3 golf or leon?... Its all the same car underneath right?
    Using Tapatalk

Neutral

Status
    Thinking of remapping my BKD too just worried about it voiding insurance.

6+1 Gears

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by flying oyster View Post
    ...it's a slippery slope sometimes when you enter the tuning game
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

2nd Gear

Status
    Remapped my BKD last year on almost 120,000 miles (Shark stage 1) 6,000 miles in now and no problems with anything apart from grip up the front end due to the torque

I do quite often drive it like it's stolen too so much fun after getting out of my 75bhp work van
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey

4th Gear

Status
    Before i got my 2.0T this week I had an A4 Avant 140TDI.. I got it on 116k and stuck a performance chip on it which took it to 163bhp. It used to send the front wheels spinning if you floored it too hard and chucked tons of crap out the back lol. after a few months i got too scared thinking the turbo would go as it was still on original turbo after all those miles. I sold it with 147k on it and its still on original turbo...i suspect that will go soon haha! After a service at audi once they asked if it was remapped due to the extra power. They advised not to chip or remap 140TDI's due to something to do with the bore of the cyclinders under strain. ofc I had no god damn idea what he was going on about nor did I care as it was probably a ploy to make me rebuke and do it so they had an excuse to repair something and charge £13billion an hour in labour. Its all about luck with cars whether remapped or not in my eyes. anything could blow up one day to the next. But the TDI are workhorses when they actually work!
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V (Planned - Grey S4 Diffuser, Quad tailpipes, Grey S4 Grille)

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 TDI Avant 2.0

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emznjav View Post
    Thinking of remapping my BKD too just worried about it voiding insurance.

Declare it to your insurance company then it won't void it.
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

4th Gear

Status
    The 140 can be remapped to 170bhp without ANY increase in turbo boost pressure if needed, it's only if you want to go to 180-185 you need more boost. The extra comes from optimised timing and a richer mixture on full power, but it's still not a smoker - at least not when I do it

Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

2nd Gear

Status
    At least the BKDs don't have the oil balance shaft issue, which completely wrecks the entire engine if it goes. 2.0 TDIs, like the 1.9s all have VVT Turbos and if they don't get treated right they will gum up, some can be cleaned, some get changed cause garages are too lazy to fix them. They need to be serviced properly and with the correct oil, if you remap them there's added stress on them so that will incease the likleyhood of any weaker mechanical part giving up the ghost. Siren noises for example aren't necessarily a knackered Turbo but if you take it to enough garages someone will eventually take your grand off you and give you a recon turbo.
    Have to say I don't think it's a BKD problem, it's a VVT Turbo problem but on the up side, you get more power and better delivery than a non-VVT, it's a reason why you like your Audi so much, when it's working, you pays your money and all that. Looking at the links above, some really good info there but not eveyone is saying they have a BKD and some are talking about DPFs, as far as I know BKDs are 140bhp and don't have DPFs, unless the later ones did but I think the engine codes were different, correct me if I am wrong.
    I have a BKD myself and no issues, am I glad I bought it, Yes in the face of other more expensive problems I think it's a good engine and if I have to clean/replace the turbo at some stage, there are worse things. Another point is, anyone wh was lucky enough to get an engine out of Audi due to balance shaft issues more often that not got a BKD, so obviously Audi themselves thought it was one of the more reliable, better engines.