cold start issue. 2 or 3 beeps and radio turns off!

heap1000

Reaction score
Car is a 2.0 TDI 2004 119000 miles.

A handfull of times on cold starts my car has hesitated to start and gave me 2/3 beeps (the sound it makes when you need to fill up with fuel). Also if the radio is on it turns off and I have to turn it back on.

I do notice that the glow plug light stays on until it starts and also the dash lights dim a bit.

So I am thinking either battery or glow plugs? Does that sound about right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Is it normal for the car to give warning beep noises other than for low fuel?

Sounds like either like you say, battery or glow plugs. Does it start okay when the engine is warm?

Thats usually a sign the battery is on it's way out, If it's the original it's 10 years old so has done well. I would go for Bosch or Varta , It's not worth buying a cheapie and saving £10. You can get them cheap enough off Flea bay or carparts4less .

Karl.

My last Golf tdi done this about 2 weeks before the battery went.
Its a sign of low voltage and things shutting down with low voltage on cranking.
As above buy a battery before it lets you down.

Cheers guys. Would someone please send me a link to the correct battery so I don't get the wrong one. A member on here is scanning my car next Saturday so will see if that brings anything up.

Ok this might seem a daft question but what is the difference between all these batterys? Just looking and some Bosch ones are 60, 70, 80 or the one you have posted for 120. Normally just get a cheap one out in and it works.

Thanks

Ok this might seem a daft question but what is the difference between all these batterys? Just looking and some Bosch ones are 60, 70, 80 or the one you have posted for 120. Normally just get a cheap one out in and it works.

Thanks

With batteries you need to look further into them than the price, for example..

77 amp hours, 780 CCA (cold cranking Amp) with a 5 year warranty for the £120 Bosch battery.

60 amp hours, 480 CCA (cold cranking Amp) with a 3 year warrenty for the £66 Lion battery.

Basically, a modern diesel needs a large battery to just turn it over and not taking into account all the electrics on a modern car such as heated seats etc.

amp hours is the amount of energy charge in a battery that will allow one ampere of current to flow for one hour, so higher the better.

CCA is the amps the battery has at 0 degrees, bigger the better and more power at lower temperatures.

Well you learn something new every day! What would be a good mid range battery? Funds are a little low at the moment with Xmas plus I have it Booked in for a cam belt change on Tuesday.