Cruise control retrofitted

drnick

Reaction score
Anyone thinking of doing this should have a good look at the two fantastic threads which are already available on this site:

"Cruise Control Retrofit Guide" started by Avus Sportback
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/111696-cruise-control-retrofit-guide.html

and

"Cruise control installation guide" started by B7Gav
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...191791-cruise-control-installation-guide.html.

They are very clear, but having just fitted my cruise control, thought I would add my own notes to the subject.
Firstly, this is fairly straightforward exercise as long as you have a full set of spanners and screwdrivers. I had to borrow a torque wrench and multi-spline M12 for the steering wheel bolt.

NOTES:
I measured the torque whilst undoing it the steering wheel main bolt (M12 multi-spline) and it took 40Nm to undo it, so this is what I used to do it up.
After the steering wheel is off, the top cowling is slightly tricky to get off. After all the screws are out, use both thumbs to push on the upper cowling towards the engine and up. It will unclick from the lower cowling. It has a hinge at the back which remains in place.
The hardest part is getting the ECU removed. I tried to follow the guides, but there is 1 clip which is difficult to remove and even harder to explain how to remove! Firstly you have to remove the 2 rear connectors (see 3 photos below).

IMG 6741 Medium

IMG 6748 Medium

IMG 6745

So after undoing the 2 rear connectors, I removed the plastic bottom of the ECU to expose the circuit board. The circuit board can then be removed by pulling down (see below).

IMG 6752 Medium

This exposes the difficult catch as shown in the next photo - It's the one in the middle about 1/3 from the top of the photo.

IMG 6754 Medium

If you don't want to expose the circuit board, then the idea is to insert an allen key which is about 2.3mm and keep pushing it in. The shaft will squeeze into the gap push the flexible catch to the left, hopefully unclipping it. You can help this, by inserting the allen key with the front end angled to the right and then angling it to the left to unclip the clip. The next photo sort of shows this. There is an allen key behind my hand and my finger is pushing the catch in the direction it needs to go to unclip.

IMG 6758 Medium

The catch at the back is straightforward to undo.

Once the top of the ECU is off, you can rebuild the ECU to protect the circuit board and replace it as a single unit.

IMG 6770 Medium

So that's the hardware part done! As usual, I got an ESP Fault message displayed for a couple of minutes when I started, but this this disappeared soon enough.

Is there anyone in the Oxford area who can help me with the VAG coding now?

Once more, thanks to B7Gav and Avus Sportback for the inspiration...

Reactions: Sandra