Is the car worth the respray?

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking at getting an A3 Sportback 1.9TDi as my first car (yes insurance can be paid, JUST).

I am going to be looking at something around a 55/06 reg, 115k on the clock, sport spec.. so it will cost around £4000/£4500. I am likely to be keeping it 3/4 years.

I am very tempted to get a full colour change to sprint blue, rather than a wrap of a similar colour. My question is; would you pay £2000 on a colour change if you were likely to keep the car 3/4 years.. on a car only worth £4k to start. Just curious if it is going to be worth my money getting it done..

Also, does anyone know if a full respray would mean an engine drop and engine bay colour change as standard without extra cost?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Regards,

Matt

Hi mate, if I were you I wouldn't bother spending all that money getting a full respray to another colour. With regards to the cost and time involved is down to how far you want to go (ie under the bonnet etc)
Just make sure the car has full history and has been maintained properly.

Hi mate, if I were you I wouldn't bother spending all that money getting a full respray to another colour. With regards to the cost and time involved is down to how far you want to go (ie under the bonnet etc)
Just make sure the car has full history and has been maintained properly.

Thanks for the response mate. It is a lot to pay, I will never be able to own the car for 2 weeks and not throw money at it let alone 3 years but £2k is a lot to spend on a car only worth £4k, not as if the respray would add much to it due to high mileage. The only other option to get it looking it's best is to send it for a 2 stage machine polish to remove all the swirls and scratches from the paintwork at around £350, the company I have seen work miracles.

We will only ever look at a car that has full service history, found one with full Audi history.. 125k at £3995, not bad when you think of what you are getting. Those engines will go to 300k+ if maintained properly. After all high mileage is the only option with such high expectation of a starter car.

Insurance will hurt me at about £920 deposit and £420 a month for 10 months.. it's daylight robbery.

Nah a £2000 colour change would be full car, door shuts, boot shut and top of the inside of the wings (where bonnet sits on wings). To remove engine and gear box and strip everything else of the inner wings and bulk head prep and paint you would easily looking at another £1000. If you were going to spend £2000 on a respray why not just put it towards your £4500 and buy a lower mileage sprint blue one in the first place? That's what I'd do anyway.

Good luck :icon_thumright:

Reactions: RedDejavu and Paulc33
Wow! Short answer NO..... save your money for future cars and just enjoy the car you have at present!

What the hell kind of quote have you had for insuarance at they prices... Thats daylight robbery! Phone round all companies, there are a fair few on this forum to try too... Thats unbelievably high! For a car of that value!

Nah a £2000 colour change would be full car, door shuts, boot shut and top of the inside of the wings (where bonnet sits on wings). To remove engine and gear box and strip everything else of the inner wings and bulk head prep and paint you would easily looking at another £1000. If you were going to spend £2000 on a respray why not just put it towards your £4500 and buy a lower mileage sprint blue one in the first place? That's what I'd do anyway.

Good luck :icon_thumright:

Oh s**t no chance then haha!! Well long story short, I am still saving for the car.. I need £5k saved to allow for my rip off insurance deposit. Paint wouldn't be something I could do for a few months after that, going to take a lot more scrimping and saving. I am on an Electrical Engineering apprenticeship., wage is very reasonable considering the first year I am on now in college full time, insurance will take half of my wage however :keule:

I have yet to find one 8P Sportback 1.9TDi Sport that is in Sprint blue for sale :(

that insurance quote is tbh a total JOKE, u need to look around more. You surely shudnt be paying more than say 2500 a year MAX, unless u have like 9 points or something.

Wow! Short answer NO..... save your money for future cars and just enjoy the car you have at present!

What the hell kind of quote have you had for insuarance at they prices... Thats daylight robbery! Phone round all companies, there are a fair few on this forum to try too... Thats unbelievably high! For a car of that value!

I can guarantee I won't end up saving it haha, will all go into the car but in different and more functional ways I should imagine.

Well I am going to be 17 when I have this car with 0 months experience on the road. But yes the insurance is robbery on any car to be honest :(

Cheapest I have found is a premium of £4200; around £900 deposit and £420 a month for 10 months. The next policy up from that is £6k. I have looked at things like 1.2 Corsa's and the policies are still up £3.5k and I refuse to use every penny I have on a car I wouldn't enjoy driving. It has only ever been Audi's for me, I would rather wait an extra few months to get what I want rather than be unhappy, after all I am not going to be driving like the majority of youngsters to 'pimp up' my car with bean cans for exhausts :laugh:. I see nothing wrong in a 5 door diesel, which my mates can't seem to understand haha, it's the love of Audi's :kissmyrings:

that insurance quote is tbh a total JOKE, u need to look around more. You surely shudnt be paying more than say 2500 a year MAX, unless u have like 9 points or something.

You would think that, but it is down to me being a new driver in a fairly high spec car :/ Still, as I've said in my last post.. little difference in price from 1.2 Corsa's to a 1.9TDi Audi, so I don't see why I shouldn't pay a little extra and get an Audi.. my dream. :kissmyrings:

Check out the insurance companies that install a black box in your car. This reduces cost. My son who is just 20 insures a remapped golf gti with Admiral for less than £900 per year.

I wouldn't have the respray on a car with more miles like that I would just maintain it very well get the paint spot on maybe change bushes to superpros and have a great handling car! When I first had my mk5 gti my insurance was £4750 so I feel your pain I was with Admiral I would try the 10 month policy's they do and if you can pay it in one hit goes down a considerable amount.

If I was gonna get a respray then it would be sepang blue not sprint! I know what you mean about spending money on the car I'm the same. Do what you want pal while your young and living at home you can do stuff like this. I'd say do it, but do it properly there's nothing worse than spending all that money for the results to be completely s@@t and you'll hate it and it'll be worth absolutely nothing at the end of it

Reactions: discostu49
Go for golf mk5 1.9 tdi as first car, alot cheaper insurance....

Reactions: PilotAudi
Ps your Join Date is 15th July 2007, which makes you 10 when you signed upto asn? Lol

Cheapest I have found is a premium of £4200; around £900 deposit and £420 a month for 10 months.

That to me sounds like they are charing £900 interest?! if so they are taking you for a serious ride....

Reactions: AudiNutta
You would think that, but it is down to me being a new driver in a fairly high spec car :/ Still, as I've said in my last post.. little difference in price from 1.2 Corsa's to a 1.9TDi Audi, so I don't see why I shouldn't pay a little extra and get an Audi.. my dream. :kissmyrings:

Why not get your mum or dad or a family member to insure it and go as a named driver til at least you hit 20... I didnt have my 1st own policy until I was 21.... But then again back then I was cruising around in a Fiesta RS turbo and it still cost me a grand to insure and that was over 10yrs ago.... Suppose we all have a right of passage but not to the extent that they are charging you!

its your first car.. a good one for a first car mind, but have to realise you will never get money back on a car (unless you restore of do some proper hotrod stuff)
If you want to get it painted Id suggest plasti dip as its around £400-600 for a bodyshop to do it. Could buy the sprayer for £120 and paint and do it yourself + its removeable and still can get crazy colours.

if there is nothing wrong with the colour... just leave it, otherwise why don't you look for the colour that you "want" instead of just settling for the first audi you find..

Check out the insurance companies that install a black box in your car. This reduces cost. My son who is just 20 insures a remapped golf gti with Admiral for less than £900 per year.

To be honest, black box isn't going to be an option for me. I don't like the idea that I will have someone changing the way I drive and watching me wherever I go. Hate that if you go 1mph over 70 you will get penalised for that day, never been keen on the idea. But also, the cheapest black box quote has come in £1000 ore expensive than the cheapest normal policy.

I wouldn't have the respray on a car with more miles like that I would just maintain it very well get the paint spot on maybe change bushes to superpros and have a great handling car! When I first had my mk5 gti my insurance was £4750 so I feel your pain I was with Admiral I would try the 10 month policy's they do and if you can pay it in one hit goes down a considerable amount.

The miles is the main thing putting me off, running it for the 3 years I intend to I will probably add a good 60k and the car isn't worth masses then anyway. Sadly, I won't have the cash to pay the policy in full otherwise I would love to. £4000 is daylight robbery on car insurance, they don't amke it easy for us :( No wonder half the people on the roads have no insurance :(

If I was gonna get a respray then it would be sepang blue not sprint! I know what you mean about spending money on the car I'm the same. Do what you want pal while your young and living at home you can do stuff like this. I'd say do it, but do it properly there's nothing worse than spending all that money for the results to be completely s@@t and you'll hate it and it'll be worth absolutely nothing at the end of it

Looking at Sepang Blue, it does looks stunning. :hubbahubba: I have told my parents I don't intend leaving until I have my dream car, haha.

I think the respray is going to have to be left a miss. Stick to window tints, upgrading to xenon headlamps and faclift rear lights.. LED's all the way through, retro fit all the available interior lights, sensible spoiler, wind deflectors and a 2 stage machine polish to remove all the swirils.. car should be 100% then. :icon_thumright:

Go for golf mk5 1.9 tdi as first car, alot cheaper insurance....

Ps your Join Date is 15th July 2007, which makes you 10 when you signed upto asn? Lol

Will run that quote through later mate, see what I get back.

Yep, that is correct haha. Dad had his first Audi back in 2007. Was a A4 Avant B6 1.9TDi. I followed in his footsteps and joined the forum, must be one of the youngest members :icon_thumright:

buy some thing you can afford comfortably and get your first years driving out the way, rather than just being able to afford a car with high milage that is gonna kill your wallet on insureance and repairs if it hasn't be maintained properly. no fun buying a car and not being able to afford to drive anywhere in it.

Reactions: leeds2592
that insurance quote is a joke, no way i would do that
add a few named drivers to your policy, it should put it down a fair bit

As majority say, leave the respray - it just isn't worth it on a car like this.

Also, leave wind deflectors to imported Shoguns etc

Jspn dsc03526a

Reactions: mitalm
I think the respray is going to have to be left a miss. Stick to window tints, upgrading to xenon headlamps and faclift rear lights.. LED's all the way through, retro fit all the available interior lights, sensible spoiler, wind deflectors and a 2 stage machine polish to remove all the swirils.. car should be 100% then. :icon_thumright:

Really don't want to burst your bubble, but if you declare mods on your car, the insurance will go even higher, if they even insure you with them at all!

I'm only 21 so was in your shoes not so long ago. Not the news you want to hear, but I'd buy something cheaper, just enjoy driving and having the freedom of owning a car for a year or so, get a years NCB under your belt, then look into getting an A3.

Reactions: sabers
^^^ to be honest the audi might be cheaper than most other cars to insure.
when I was 17 I was paying £1150 on a 1.1 106, My mate also my age had a corsa and was paying £3200
My last car was a 106 Gti, I was paying £980 to insure, My 170 Quattro a4 is cheaper to insure than the gti

Insurance sometimes just doesn't make sense though. A 2.0TDI S-Line is cheaper to insure than a 2.0TDI Sport for me.