Bizarre problem - loss of Quattro?!

batch

Reaction score
Good morning all and Happy New Year!

Now before I get any smart-*** comments, I'm new to both Quattro, really fast cars and also new cars! However I'm fairly sure what I'm reporting isn't normal...

Over the last few days, I've started noticing a complete lack of grip from my car in all but the mildest of scenarios. From pulling away from a standing start, accelerating in-gear, and even cornering. I know this sounds silly, but it's almost like the four-wheel drive is failing to engage. For example pulling away from a standstill, if I give it any right foot the traction light starts blinking and the car's squirming away with the odd heavy thud from the front. Yesterday, on a dry stretch of A-road and in fourth gear, I accelerated and it did the same thing! I've not had much chance to corner it hard recently but the quiet roads on the way into work this morning gave me a bit of opportunity and it doesn't feel right. Is it possible that the Haldex isn't engaging the rear wheels properly/at all? I'm having 4-wheel alignment done next week, would issues there compromise grip so badly?

It's a 2012 S3, Shark Stage 1 remap and Neuspeed CAI. Michelin PS3s on the front with less than 2k miles (probably not even a thousand). Tyre pressures checked regularly.

And yes I know it's a (fairly) powerful car and it's winter, cold and damp, but it's hardly a 350bhp Mk1 Golf on stretched 13s, and it has only just started feeling "funny"? Or am I just being over-sensitive?!

just do a standstill launch with very high revs(traction off), u will feel if all 4 wheels starts spinning!

Mines only a remapped A3 and i an easily get all 4 spinning in the dry. Easy test, probably not the best test tho lol.

It's not happened till recently though mate, that's the thing. Was fine when we had the cold snap back around October time, fine in all the soaking conditions. Literally only gone crazy a few days ago!

best to check error codes using vcds. as the haldex pump is a know failure. could also be a fuse

I had this problem pal and it was my haldex pump which had failed. Had it replaced under warranty. Mines also stage 1 remapped hmmm wonder if this is a coincidence ? I know what you mean about it been strange problem and a difficult one to explain.
Me " it acting like a 2 wheel car" audi "ok hiw do you mean?"
Me " well the wheel spins". Audi "ok"

And it went on like for while, I felt like a tool!

Exactly mate! My friend has a Stage 2+ Edition 30, that's the only behaviour I can compare it to. Just scrabbling around all over the place!

I'd definitely be looking at the Haldex.

I've used PS3s on my car,and had no traction issues other than you would expect with the power/torque mine runs,and the problem you're describing points to problems with the 4WD system.

I'd definitely be looking at the Haldex.

I've used PS3s on my car,and had no traction issues other than you would expect with the power/torque mine runs,and the problem you're describing points to problems with the 4WD system.

Thanks S3Alex I was hoping you'd pop in! There's no way it's just struggling with the power.
Even dropping into 4th at 50 the other day for an overtake I lit the tyres!

get scanned with vcds to confirm its the haldex, then take the Neuspeed CAI and map off it and take it to audi to replace under warranty!

get scanned with vcds to confirm its the haldex, then take the Neuspeed CAI and map off it and take it to audi to replace under warranty!

My dealer shouldn't care... They're very customer focused and I asked them before I did the bits!

My dealer shouldn't care... They're very customer focused and I asked them before I did the bits!

I personally wouldn't take the risk, but its upto you. Could be a very pricey repair for you if they blame the haldex failure on your mods :3sadwalk:

I would always go on the side of caution with Dealers unless you are personal friends with some staff in high places!

I'll take the map off but I'm not facking about with the CAI. They'd be hard pushed to blame Haldex failure on a 5hp intake!

Small update.... I scanned for DTC codes using the Shark STS, nothing found although that was to be expected - I need full VCDS. However just out of idle curiosity I then reflashed the performance map onto the ECU. Lo and behold! Car was flying again with no traction issues! Hoping against hope that I haven't simply masked the problem by resetting fault codes etc... We shall see!

Just a quick addition to this - Has anyone ever had a Haldex fault caused by ANY brand of remap on any variant of 8P?!

Well, I guess I'm another one to add to the list!
Booked in Friday week to have a Warranty job.

Another one bites the dust ! :(

Reactions: RedDejavu
Hey, ive got a question regarding VCDs. (noob)

Ive been using a fault code reader for the past few months which has worked well. Am i right in thinking that VCDs will pick up extra codes that i may not be not be aware of or am i getting it completely wrong?

cheers
Joe

Hey, ive got a question regarding VCDs. (noob)Ive been using a fault code reader for the past few months which has worked well. Am i right in thinking that VCDs will pick up extra codes that i may not be aware of or am i getting it completely wrong?cheersJoe