Chris NottBadger5
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex_Wil
  • 2 Post By RedDejavu

Thread: Bizarre problem - loss of Quattro?!

2nd Gear

Status

Bizarre problem - loss of Quattro?!

Good morning all and Happy New Year!

Now before I get any smart-ass comments, I'm new to both Quattro, really fast cars and also new cars! However I'm fairly sure what I'm reporting isn't normal...

Over the last few days, I've started noticing a complete lack of grip from my car in all but the mildest of scenarios. From pulling away from a standing start, accelerating in-gear, and even cornering. I know this sounds silly, but it's almost like the four-wheel drive is failing to engage. For example pulling away from a standstill, if I give it any right foot the traction light starts blinking and the car's squirming away with the odd heavy thud from the front. Yesterday, on a dry stretch of A-road and in fourth gear, I accelerated and it did the same thing! I've not had much chance to corner it hard recently but the quiet roads on the way into work this morning gave me a bit of opportunity and it doesn't feel right. Is it possible that the Haldex isn't engaging the rear wheels properly/at all? I'm having 4-wheel alignment done next week, would issues there compromise grip so badly?

It's a 2012 S3, Shark Stage 1 remap and Neuspeed CAI. Michelin PS3s on the front with less than 2k miles (probably not even a thousand). Tyre pressures checked regularly.

And yes I know it's a (fairly) powerful car and it's winter, cold and damp, but it's hardly a 350bhp Mk1 Golf on stretched 13s, and it has only just started feeling "funny"? Or am I just being over-sensitive?!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    just do a standstill launch with very high revs(traction off), u will feel if all 4 wheels starts spinning!

Mines only a remapped A3 and i an easily get all 4 spinning in the dry. Easy test, probably not the best test tho lol.
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

2nd Gear

Status
    It's not happened till recently though mate, that's the thing. Was fine when we had the cold snap back around October time, fine in all the soaking conditions. Literally only gone crazy a few days ago!

1st Gear

Status
    best to check error codes using vcds. as the haldex pump is a know failure. could also be a fuse

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks Mat, know anyone near Beckenham with VCDS?!

1st Gear

Status
    I had this problem pal and it was my haldex pump which had failed. Had it replaced under warranty. Mines also stage 1 remapped hmmm wonder if this is a coincidence ? I know what you mean about it been strange problem and a difficult one to explain.
    Me " it acting like a 2 wheel car" audi "ok hiw do you mean?"
    Me " well the wheel spins". Audi "ok"

And it went on like for while, I felt like a tool!

2nd Gear

Status
    Exactly mate! My friend has a Stage 2+ Edition 30, that's the only behaviour I can compare it to. Just scrabbling around all over the place!

Rarely neutral

Status
    I'd definitely be looking at the Haldex.

I've used PS3s on my car,and had no traction issues other than you would expect with the power/torque mine runs,and the problem you're describing points to problems with the 4WD system.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    I'd definitely be looking at the Haldex.

I've used PS3s on my car,and had no traction issues other than you would expect with the power/torque mine runs,and the problem you're describing points to problems with the 4WD system.
    Thanks S3Alex I was hoping you'd pop in! There's no way it's just struggling with the power.
    Even dropping into 4th at 50 the other day for an overtake I lit the tyres!

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    get scanned with vcds to confirm its the haldex, then take the Neuspeed CAI and map off it and take it to audi to replace under warranty!
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    get scanned with vcds to confirm its the haldex, then take the Neuspeed CAI and map off it and take it to audi to replace under warranty!
    My dealer shouldn't care... They're very customer focused and I asked them before I did the bits!

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by batch View Post
    My dealer shouldn't care... They're very customer focused and I asked them before I did the bits!
    I personally wouldn't take the risk, but its upto you. Could be a very pricey repair for you if they blame the haldex failure on your mods
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

1st Gear

Status
    I would always go on the side of caution with Dealers unless you are personal friends with some staff in high places!
    Car: Phantom Black 8P '56 S3 2.0 TFSI | RNS-E | Adaptive Bi-Xenons | Two-Tone Black/White Leather Seats | Electric Folding Mirrors | Cruise Control | Parking Sensors
    Current Mods: Revo Intake | GFB DV+ | Revo Stage 1 | Defi Racer Boost Gauge in Osir Vent Mount | H&R ARB's | Superpro Balljoints+ALK | Bilstein PSS10
    Mods Planned: BCS Powervalve Exhaust | Loba HPFP | Stage 2+ Remap| Spec Clutch

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by batch View Post
    Their tone may change if they think it's going to cost them some money.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'll take the map off but I'm not facking about with the CAI. They'd be hard pushed to blame Haldex failure on a 5hp intake!

2nd Gear

Status
    Small update.... I scanned for DTC codes using the Shark STS, nothing found although that was to be expected - I need full VCDS. However just out of idle curiosity I then reflashed the performance map onto the ECU. Lo and behold! Car was flying again with no traction issues! Hoping against hope that I haven't simply masked the problem by resetting fault codes etc... We shall see!

2nd Gear

Status
    Just a quick addition to this - Has anyone ever had a Haldex fault caused by ANY brand of remap on any variant of 8P?!

2nd Gear

Status

Well, I guess I'm another one to add to the list!
    Booked in Friday week to have a Warranty job.

Stage 2+

Status
    Another one bites the dust !
    RedDejavu likes this.
    Current Car:
    | STAGE 2+ -8P3 - S3 -S-TRONIC -3 DOOR -BLACK EDITION - Tuned and Modified by AMD Tuning |

Current Modifications :
    Miltek 200 Cell High Quality Sports Cat,Downpipe & Catback, AMD Cold Air Induction ,LOBA Fuel Pump , AMD STAGE 2+ REMAP, GFB DV+ ,Bilstein B14 Coilovers , H&R Arbs , H&R Spacers, ALK-Superpro,DSG Software Upgrade ,Mintex pads & Zero Sixty discs, FMIC STAGE 2 Airtec , TTS Engine Cover, Team Heko Wind Deflectors ,Michelin PS3

Neutral

Status
    Hey, ive got a question regarding VCDs. (noob)

Ive been using a fault code reader for the past few months which has worked well. Am i right in thinking that VCDs will pick up extra codes that i may not be not be aware of or am i getting it completely wrong?

cheers
    Joe

Neutral

Status
    Hey, ive got a question regarding VCDs. (noob)Ive been using a fault code reader for the past few months which has worked well. Am i right in thinking that VCDs will pick up extra codes that i may not be aware of or am i getting it completely wrong?cheersJoe

5th Gear

Status
    welcome to the club :D
    batch and Alex_Wil like this.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /