A3 Power Steering fault!

RichHouseman

Reaction score
Evening!

just before Christmas the red power steering light stayed on when i started my A3. The steering is very stiff and the red light stays on all the time. Being a mechanic myself i gave it a look over and checked fuses and basic things. Ive got power down to the rack so its looking like it is needing a new/replacement rack. Ive looked on a few forums and people are saying that the rack will need coding with an Audi computer. fitting the rack is no problem for me but if it needs coding then i will have to take it somewhere that has the right computer. I'm just after a bit of advice really on the easiest way to go about it!

Audi A3 2.0 TDI 53 plate
Rack PN - IK2 423 051 AC

Thanks for your help!
Rich

Your rack will be a gen 1, if you buy new it will be a gen 3 which also requires adapter looms to be compatible & tbh best to go to audi to make sure its coded/programmed correctly as afaik I heard they upload curvature patterns to the rack aswell when fitting.

Thanks for your reply NHN

I think im going to risk fitting a second hand rack and getting it coded in after. Im struggling to find a rack with the same part number as mine. will any gen 1 rack fit even with out the same number.

Thanks again
Rich

Rich did you get this sorted out ? i am having the same problem and am willing to fit the rack but unsure of coding ?

I've had this problem with my a3 2003, I searched all over for a secondhand rack, no luck in finding one with the same wiring. In the end I sent my faulty rack to a company called bba-reman they reconditioned it and was back within the week as good as new. It cost me £408 in total including shipping. I hope this helps

I ended up just getting a rack from the breakers yard and fitting it myself , was fairly straight forward and the car feels much tighter with the replacement rack on