• 2 Post By chris.vincent3
  • 1 Post By TwoFlatTyres
  • 1 Post By Alex_007

Thread: Water leaking in boot and under rear set

1st Gear

Status

Water leaking in boot and under rear set

Hello everyone

As the title says I've had a puddle of water in the boot and damp under the rear seat.

Before
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388678552.686950.jpg

After

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388678038.087739.jpg

Where my finger is pointing to is flimsy rubber that needs to be tucked in and under (I assume when fitting or replacing the rear light) as shown.

It wasn't tucked under and it was just hanging out and you could see a clear gap and when I put a hose to it the water was piling in to the car.

Now it's all tucked in and no water is getting in to the car anymore,

Happy days.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Alex_007; 2nd January 2014 at 16:10.
    55 plate Audi A3 2.0 tdi 140 sportback

07 plate BMW M5 estate with lots of extra power.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Ok it it seems the water getting in was because the rear light was not tightened properly and not so much the rubber that needed it tucking in and under but there is still water getting in under the rear seat?

Can anyone tell me what the round rubber spongy things are that sit under the spare wheel and under the rear seat?

P ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388845456.318389.jpg

Water seems to be seeping in from that rubber thing under the seat .

I wiped it dry yesterday but already there is drips and evidence of water getting in from there.

Any help is much appreciated.

The car is starting to drive me round the bend.

1st Gear

Status
    Right I have dried out the car and also stripped out the rear seats and boot liners to see if I can track down where else the water has been getting in, I've gone out for 10 min drive and already there is drips of water scattered all over so pretty much impossible to see where it's coming from.

Is there any drain plug type things under the wheel races or anything else I can check?

Cheers

Fossie

Status
    Does your rear wiper/washer work ok ?
    2006 2.0L BKD 140 Sportback RHD ( manual, with extra bits incl. mfsw ) Gone
    2012 2.0L TDI Q3 S Line Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Does your rear wiper/washer work ok ?
    Hello there

Yeah it seems to be working ok, what side of the car does the washer pipe run down , don't suppose you know? Maybe I could check that for leaks. Id say it's coming in from passenger side but god knows where , the carpets are all dry , under the passenger side rear seat is very damp and water drops are appearing in the boot again , more to the passenger side and also wet at the bottom of the passenger boot liner .

Thank you

3rd Gear

Status
    I had my tailgate off today to do a swap, and iirc the hose for the wiper was on the drivers side.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.vincent3 View Post
    I had my tailgate off today to do a swap, and iirc the hose for the wiper was on the drivers side.
    Ah ok thanks for that , I may run a hose from underneath tomorrow and see I can see anything .

Would just like one week without something going wrong ha
    wuta3 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Haha I wish you the best, especially looking for a leak in this weather!
    Alex_007 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Just found a puddle of water

I have taken the boot liner out (passenger side) and removed the Bose sub and the pic shown is of what's behind the sub.

Still no idea where it could be coming from

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388919688.976817.jpg

Neutral

Status
    I can only sympathise! Leaks like this can be incredibly frustrating. On my old car I had a leak in the boot as well, drove me insane until I just used a silicon gel all around the light cluster.
    Alex_007 likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    I have no leak, but i'm gripped to this thread to see where the ******* water is coming from!
    Alex_007 likes this.
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan427 View Post
    I can only sympathise! Leaks like this can be incredibly frustrating. On my old car I had a leak in the boot as well, drove me insane until I just used a silicon gel all around the light cluster.
    Hi

Thanks, it's been pretty much driving me mad , it seems that this has been happening for a long while , couple of spots of surface rust here n there nothing to worry about, I will treat it with something .

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wuta3 View Post
    I have no leak, but i'm gripped to this thread to see where the ******* water is coming from!
    Trust me, you do not want a leak either , I've took out all of these rubber circular things that just pop out of the body of the car, there's a couple under the boot , a couple under the wheel arches and basically once these are removed you can see through to the ground, a couple was bunged up with crap n dirt , I've just cleaned them all And put them back and once again dried everything.

I have taken out all of the boot liner both sides rear seats , and the Bose sub so I can keep a proper eye on it.

If you look in the last pic that is where there was a puddle so it's seeping through in to that area some how and then running in to the spare wheel and rear seat from that area once the puddle starts to over flow .

I will update as I go along

Cheers

3rd Gear

Status
    Don't suppose you've sat in the boot with the tailgate shut and everything ripped out whilst someone runs a hose over the car?
    MOOSH and Alex_007 like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Mine was leaking through the fuel filler cap, because it's behind the panels inside and the fuel pipe it couldn't be seen to be coming in there

It was the plastic surround inside the filler cap, if you unscrew it from outside it leaves a massive hole!!! It wasn't sealing up to the bodywork & filler correctly so I siliconed it in(clear sikaflex) Problem sorted

Also the drain hole was blocked with crud

Might be worth a look at that!

Its in two parts iirc
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.vincent3 View Post
    Don't suppose you've sat in the boot with the tailgate shut and everything ripped out whilst someone runs a hose over the car?
    Yes I've tried that but no results unfortunately , I was doing it for ages , I will try once more I think.

It's so frustrating.

Cheers

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon View Post
    Mine was leaking through the fuel filler cap, because it's behind the panels inside and the fuel pipe it couldn't be seen to be coming in there

It was the plastic surround inside the filler cap, if you unscrew it from outside it leaves a massive hole!!! It wasn't sealing up to the bodywork & filler correctly so I siliconed it in(clear sikaflex) Problem sorted

Also the drain hole was blocked with crud

Might be worth a look at that!

Its in two parts iirc
    Hello

This leak is coming in from the passenger I'm pretty certain of that, it wouldn't actually surprise me if there was a leak from there to so I will check it while most of the rear the car is now in my garage .

Cheers

1st Gear

Status
    In the last pic above , if you look to the right of the pic you will see the start of the rear wheel arch inside the boot area, but the water seems to be working its way in from behind it where it meets the outer body panel if that makes sense,

Neutral

Status
    I also have a leaky boot/tail gate, but instead the water is collecting in the tailgate itself between in the inner and outer skin.

when I drive around around corners I can hear it swishing from side to side. Stripped the interior panels out and had a good look, but nothing is obvious. Checked the wiper motor, which is new and that is completely dry.

So, hopefully there is a common leaky path which we can both find to cure the ingress.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFlatTyres View Post
    I also have a leaky boot/tail gate, but instead the water is collecting in the tailgate itself between in the inner and outer skin.

when I drive around around corners I can hear it swishing from side to side. Stripped the interior panels out and had a good look, but nothing is obvious. Checked the wiper motor, which is new and that is completely dry.

So, hopefully there is a common leaky path which we can both find to cure the ingress.
    There seems to be a different number of places where the water gets in from all the different threads that I've read unfortunately , maybe yours is something to do with rear washer pipe leaking?

I can see where mine is coming in from the inside but can't work out how it's getting in from the outside, im just going to use sikaflex as mentioned above and seal it from the inside and be done with it ( hopefully) . Mine only let's water in when driving in wet conditions other than that it stays dry .

Neutral

Status
    I've checked the wiper motor and the water collecting is not washer fluid but rain water, so its definitely not coming from the washer.

However I have found this thread:

A3 Sportback - Tailgate / boot door filling with Rain Water!!

Which points to the top brake light seal failing.
    Alex_007 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFlatTyres View Post
    I've checked the wiper motor and the water collecting is not washer fluid but rain water, so its definitely not coming from the washer.

However I have found this thread:

A3 Sportback - Tailgate / boot door filling with Rain Water!!

Which points to the top brake light seal failing.
    Cool, hope you get it sorted , I know how annoying it is .

Reverse Gear

Status
    I hope you find the solution to this leak as ii have had the same leak for 2 years of ownership ! I thought it was to do with the seal where the wires go out to the rear light clusters but after a shed load of silicone i was proved wrong .
    But everything sounds the same as mine . Before i got the silicone out , i actually had the spare wheel well that full that it was splashing onto the rear seats . At the moment it just isn`t dry but has not got anywhere near that bad for a while . I keep looking for a new boot seal but can`t face paying £50 for it not to fix the problem

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alastair0903 View Post
    I hope you find the solution to this leak as ii have had the same leak for 2 years of ownership ! I thought it was to do with the seal where the wires go out to the rear light clusters but after a shed load of silicone i was proved wrong .
    But everything sounds the same as mine . Before i got the silicone out , i actually had the spare wheel well that full that it was splashing onto the rear seats . At the moment it just isn`t dry but has not got anywhere near that bad for a while . I keep looking for a new boot seal but can`t face paying £50 for it not to fix the problem
    I thought I found where mine was coming in from but it turns out i was wrong,

I've taken the rubber seal off from around the boot area , cleaned it right up as it was full of sh@t, I refitted it and I've had no water get in so far, it's been around 10 days and have had a lot of rain so all good.

Reverse Gear

Status
    So you just took the boot seal off and refitted it ? I might have to try this , keep us posted please

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alastair0903 View Post
    So you just took the boot seal off and refitted it ? I might have to try this , keep us posted please
    Yeah basically I took it out , cleaned the inside of the seal out because it was full of little bits of crap .

Tried a number of different things and thought I sorted it but water managed to still appear .

This is the longest I've gone without seeing water since cleaning and refitting the seal.

I'll keep you posted .
    wuta3 likes this.