Laggy Power Steering ?

I

imported_S_Line

Notice this rather a lot and wonder if other members have this,

On Tick over, maneuvering the car using the power steering, it just lags a bit, in fact its like i have no power steering at all.

This is at tick over with the 3.2 and D.S.G.

Cant rev it up as i will ancount 0-60 in 5 seconds if you know what i mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maneuvering in the car park and spinning the steering wheel from left to right and it get heavy/ light at random intervals ??

Co-incidence. See the current creaky steering post - it's a combo of creaky to the left and also the lumpy assistance problem...

[ QUOTE ]
yup, mine is creaking to the left and very lumpy, but both ways?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the stiffness occurs both ways, but the creaking only happens when turning left.....

awesome!!! I'll add that t othe creaky seat when it goes in in a couple of weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ooh creaky seats.... I'm feeling left out now. I WANT SOME I WANT SOME!!!!!

I've got creaky front suspension if that counts.... spent all this time listening for knocking from the rear and I end up getting weird noises from the front!!!

swap?!?!

actually, no, my suspension is quite quiet, i'll keep that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
swap?!?!

actually, no, my suspension is quite quiet, i'll keep that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mines actually not that bad... its just that when going over speed bumps or similar, there is this horrible scraping sound, sounds like the front struts are scraping or something...

Ah well, something else to add to the list when I'm next in the dealer, lol

This also happens on mine, and bugs me when you slow right down and want to wind on lots of steering lock quickly to access a tight / enclosed driveway etc.

Queried this with Audi, and they say that it's a 'feature' with all electro-mechanical power steering setups?.

We used to have "unspecified features" in phones when I worked at a manufacturer, most people know them as faults /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I mentioned this in the creaky steering thread yesterday.
My steering goes heavy all the time at low speeds.
According to our local dealer,there's no known problems,but they'll have a look.
Looks like a foible,rather than a fault.
Still catches you out sometimes though.

Its because of the electric pump (which they use to salvage some MPG lost due to 1/2 a tonne of air bags being fitted) for the power steering, if you turn really quickly it can't catch up with the required assistance. When you get the 'lag' just slow down the turn and you'll feel it catch up.

Not much use when your doing a swift 3-pointer to reverse into your drive as I do every day.

Revving the engine won't help either its not a belt drive conventional system.

Vorsprung Durch Sh#te I think they call it.

I can just see that on the TV ad's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Funny how none of the other cars with electro whatsname steering have the same problem though, lol

Right just spoke to Aylesbury.

Audi are aware of the creaking problem (didnt get the number unfortunately) and there is a modified rack being produced apparently...

Could just be a little blag though.....

Mine is going in next week for them to look at the locking up problem and the EGR valve, so I'll buy some doughnuts and coffee and see what info I can get out of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yep S-line, mine does the same. Loss of PS!

[/ QUOTE ]

yep loss of power steering thats it.

Are you living with it or contacting the dealers ?

I get that as well sometimes. Not that bothered really just kinda thought it was one of those things but if I hear on here that there is a fix then I may get round to booking my car in to get it sorted along with the glove box damping and the knocking from the suspension when going over bumps at less than 40mph but not the woolly ball in a tube sound, mines more a metallic noise almost like and engine mount is loose.

J.

I'm going to complain and see what happens, got nothing to loose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Which Cambs dealer do you use Matt? if its Vindis they definetly know about the problem, as they told me when I had a steering problem with A4

I usually use Bedford Audi but will try Vindis next, Dave R suggested they were good too, thanks for the advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will say Bedford Audi were great when I needed a new wheel bearing after 2 or 3k miles so may call them first and see what they say before taking it in

Bedford Audi is owned by Vindis I believe

this seems like a rather in depth problem many people are having.

So.

Its a electric steering motor and not a direct pump from the engine - so even revving up doesnt make any difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The electric pump cant keep up if turning round in your drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Every time i turn around in my drive, i loose power steering ands annoying me now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yep i get the creaking noise also.

Has anyone had this problem rectified ?

Yes it an electric pump to save energy when you're not steering! A belt drive pump consumed energy all the time.

Petty the leccy pump isn't up to the job.

OK Ive also done some extensive testing this afternoon,

The laggy Steering only happens on Tarmac and Concrete, Not gravel or Grass, you cant catch it out even by spinning with your finger at very high speed, it works fine on Gravel and grass.

It seems the pump isn't powerful enough to move the big heavy front end and wheels when moving very slow or stationary.

I don't mean to rain on your parade S-Line,but I've had the steering go stiff on me whilst manouvering on snow.

Unless cold weather plays a part ??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

How mad! i noticed this recently and just thought id come on to ask and hey presto everybody else with an A3 has the same thing - i notice it ever day now in multi story car park at work where you have to spin the wheel fast going up ramps etc... guess i'll add it to the other 17 faults i have with my 04 A3 TDI that i intend on writing to audi about shortly!!!!

steve

ive got it too,it always feels like the tyres are under pressure,if it feels kind of heavy when stationary, then its defeated the object,its meant to be light at slow speed then get heavier as the cars speed increases isnt it?.

i can see this as a bit of a dangerous issue specially in a Miltistory car park.

Bowfer mate- it must havd been the cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif