Help please with vcds and full strength drls :/

Keane

Reaction score
Hello people :) hope we all had a good Xmas.

Got a slight problem. I have a 2008 Audi s3 8p 3dr with drls ect. Pluged her in to vcds to try to achieve the full strength drls when I have them on the side lights setting. I have the auto light setup and they are dull. Just testing the water and changed something from 10 too 20. It seamed too make them a tad brighter, however my break light goes dull :/. And ideas how to get full strength drls without effecting the rear lights ?? Cheers.

Don't think so - they are supposed to dim by law when you turn your lights on.....

It can be done mate as one of my colleagues has done it and he didnt actually mean to do it so he doesnt actually know the route he took to changing it. Im going to do a little research and see if I can do it and will get back to you.

Don't think so - they are supposed to dim by law when you turn your lights on.....

But surely it will do so ? As my old black edition a3 didn't have auto lights and just had a drl switch. These were bright and still dimmed to indicate :)

It can be done mate as one of my colleagues has done it and he didnt actually mean to do it so he doesnt actually know the route he took to changing it. Im going to do a little research and see if I can do it and will get back to you.

Cheers pal :)

Change them to the Scandinavian setting, so the rears come on at the first position. If you're only running side lights, you won't notice the internal switches not illuminating.

Ahh okay ... So this will put the drls on full strength but not the rear lights when on side light switch ?

Yeah I find the auto lights come on from drls too dipped beam way too early. So I want the side light setting to be full strength drls.

Reactions: sliced
Same, think a user called Paulie found a solution to it via vcds

Yeah I've searched "full strength drls" and had a read through that but can't find how they do it on mine ??? Maybe as I have auto lights it's different :/

Change them to the Scandinavian setting, so the rears come on at the first position. If you're only running side lights, you won't notice the internal switches not illuminating.

If I changed mine to the Scandinavian setting will that give me full strength drls when switched to the side light position and still illuminate the rears and dull the drl lights when indicating ?

No... It turns on the rears in the DRL setting - if you have a DRL setting that itt.

Ahh I see. Unfortunately I
Don't have the drl setting :( maybe changing it too that will solve it anyway ? Will have too try that. Was just hoping someone had the answer.

In other words you want to dazzle other drivers after dark?

F***ing fairy/fanny lights are too bright in the day. Worse than looking at the ****** sun!?!?!

(You'll have guessed from that rant that I find them ugly and abhorrent and totally unnecessary?)

In other words you want to dazzle other drivers after dark?

F***ing fairy/fanny lights are too bright in the day. Worse than looking at the ****** sun!?!?!

(You'll have guessed from that rant that I find them ugly and abhorrent and totally unnecessary?)

Aha ^^^^ really ! " worse then looking at the sun" 😂😂😂well you must be an oap mate.

Reactions: southylad
Hmmm that's strange seeing as the xenons are a lot brighter than full DRL's and its the them that normally dazzle when its dark.

Not when they're dipped!

well you must be an oap mate

Yep, and if you ever get to be one, every f***ing vehicle will have them!

Hopefully, my driving days will be over by then. Driving gets less enjoyable year by year. Long gone are those golden days of 120mph trips down the A1. Legally, I might add, until I was 25. :sadlike: :Flush:

Or could it be his car doesn't have them fitted?

If it did, my very first mod would be to disable them with my VCDS.

Couldn't drive a car that shouts "Hey, look! I'm gay!!!!!"

Last edited:
the drl's also dim when the xenon's are turned on . i know its possible on the b8 A4 . full brightness with xenon's and indicators pity the a3 doesnt use the same module.

You can switch off the dimming with indicators on VCDS with the A3 too, but the default is dimming on so indication is more obvious to traffic\cyclists & pedestrians ahead.