• 1 Post By hollow
  • 1 Post By M535man
  • 1 Post By M535man

Thread: My a3 starts but won't run

Reverse Gear

Status

My a3 starts but won't run

Hi all,

Our A3 is having a major paddy at the moment - it is starting easily, but keeps dying straight away, also the entire instrument cluster is completely dead. This makes the car undeliverable, and I have just found out that despite paying over £100 a year for aa cover, I am covered everywhere in the uk apart from my house. Which is unfortunate because that's where I live!

Is this a common issue, can I do anything to get the car running again long enough to get to a garage, and lastly if this is an issue anyone has come across before, is it going to be expensive?

Thanks so much for your advice, and apologies if this has been asked a million times before, I am a total novice in the world of audi's! ;-)

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    There is an immobiliser chip in the instrument cluster I believe. Maybe if there's no power to the cluster it won't start? Just guessing.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks, I didn't know that, I wonder if I would make things worse by removing the cluster and making sure all the cables are connected.

The car will start at the first turn of the key, however it stops running after a second or so. This happens every time- would the immobiliser allow the car to start at all, even briefly?

6th Gear

Status
    My A3 has done this twice but has restarted fine.

Will run for 1-2 seconds then die. Hasn't done it since!

1 Fault Found:
    005488 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
    P1570 - 000 - - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00100000
    Fault Priority: 1
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Mileage: 113880 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2013.07.02
    Time: 03:18:17

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 966 /min
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Load: 0.0 %
    Voltage: 12.16 V
    Bin. Bits: 00101100
    Bin. Bits: 11000000
    (no units): 33.0

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0
    Last edited by a6-chris; 29th December 2013 at 21:32.

2nd Gear

Status
    Have you checked the fuses?

3rd Gear

Status
    If you havent got home start with the AA couldnt you get towed or push the car a couple of streets away? thats what folk normally do.

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil76 View Post
    If you havent got home start with the AA couldnt you get towed or push the car a couple of streets away? thats what folk normally do.
    Good point, there is a tow rope in the garage gathering dust!

Autolarty- no I haven't checked the fuses, will take a look in the morning, thanks.

3rd Gear

Status
    Had someone plug it into VCDS?

6th Gear

Status
    If the cluster is dead then the car won't run, it will just start for a few seconds then die. I would first start with checking the fuse to the cluster, if the fuse is OK try disconnecting the battery and leave it for a while for the car to discharge (may want to leave it over night) If that fails, then it's new cluster time and the immobilizer will need to be re-sinked to the cluster (vagtacho may be able to do that otherwise its off to the dealer who will only help if the cluster is new).

2nd Gear

Status
    in a nice small & quiet village on outskirts of huddersfield!!

My Social Networking

Add craigynett on Google+
    check every fuse & relay relevant to the cluster. If they're ok then pull the cluster from the dash & test if it's getting power to it through the multiplug. If it's getting power to it then send it off for testing/repairing
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.vincent3 View Post
    Had someone plug it into VCDS?
    No, I don't know anyone who has vcds unfortunately.

B5nut/craigynett - thanks, will check the fuses in the morning, I am having trouble locating the handbook, I don't suppose anyone off the top of their heads knows which fuses or relays are the ones to look at first?

If the cluster is getting power but is not working, would someone like BBA Reman be a safe bet for a repair?

6th Gear

Status
    Is it petrol or desel? What year is the car? You can replace with a second hand unit . I think I have a desel one spare. Where abouts are you? Not sure which fuses they are on the 8p sorry
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

Reverse Gear

Status
    The car is a 2008 1.9 tdi, going out to lift the bonnet shortly!

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

i know fuse 15 is a instrument panel fuse & is located in the cabin fuse box at the end of the drivers side of the dash. I went to look at a Bora the other day which wouldn't start. The instrument panel wasn't coming on neither. Turned out he'd been messing with the fuses. They were all in nice & tight but fuse 15 was oxidized a fair bit. All i did was rub the fuse blades with a bit of sandpaper to get it back to the shiny metal, popped the fuse back in & it cured it.

There may be a couple of fuses for the instruments but i can't find anything specific for the 8p A3 although most VAG of the same year should use same layout
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just got back from dropping off my cluster at BBA reman, who are conveniently located about 10 minutes away from me, they are reasonably confident they can fix it, but said that if it was the immobiliser they couldn't repair that :-(

Fingers crossed this will get resolved by the end of the week.

Thanks to everybody for the advice, I may yet need more of it !

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

did you check the fuses & that the cluster was getting power to it?

Neutral

Status
    What's the out come on this

Reverse Gear

Status
    The guy at bba said to expect a call tomorrow with an update, fingers crossed it will be an easy fix.
    Bizarrely, the guy in front of me was also dropping off an audi cluster identical to mine with exactly the same problem.

All fuses checked and all in good order, I'm unable to check if the cluster is getting power due to knackered multimeter!

2nd Gear

Status
    Hope it gets sorted mate. At least it's the right time of year for unexpected costs on our cars....lol.

Are BBA a reputable company?

3rd Gear

Status
    you need some one down your end of the country thats a bit more technically inclined . the cluster can be cloned from the eprom . even if the eeprom is no good a second hand set can be paired as long as the skc can be extracted from the ecu and the new set of clocks , the mileage can be altered to suit .
    ~RS~ likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well, just got back from BBA reman, the work was carried out in around 24 hours (impressed!)

I've plugged the cluster back in to the car, and hey presto the car runs and drives again, hooray!!!

My wife had seen the 'def' warning on the dash around a week ago, which I guess was the cars way of telling us that the cluster was dying - note to self, if we see the 'def' warning again, dont ignore it!

All seems well now, although I've noticed that the abs light and the power steering lights are both lit up in amber on the dash. As I don't normally drive the car I don't know if these were present prior to the problems with the instrument cluster, I'll ask the boss when she gets home.

The repair job was £125+vat, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Pretty pleased with the results- will report back if the two remaining warning lights are a cause for concern. Thanks for all the advice, Gordon
    ~RS~ likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just a final follow up, the two amber warning lights on the dash disappeared as hoped once the car was driven, so pretty chuffed with he fix and would happily recommend BBA reman in the future :-)
    wuta3 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Did they say what the problem was to the clusters

Reverse Gear

Status
    No, BBS is quite a large factory/warehouse type building on an industrial estate, and the only people I spoke to we're the receptionist and the telesales person, not the actual engineer.

I would guess it was some kind of power supply issue to the cluster, but couldn't honestly say for sure.

Neutral

Status
    Where's totally dead nothing, lite up. That's what mine are like, how much did the repair cost, thanks

Reverse Gear

Status
    The repair was £125 plus Vat, the lead time is around 3-4 days normally, I think I was lucky that it was quiet due to Xmas?

1st Gear

Status
    I have a similar problem but mine is intermittent. Its happened twice before, and again today.

Its still not running now. The last two times at about 2pm it decides to work fine.

But at the minute, the insturment cluster does not illumitate when I unlock my car (which it usually does showing the time and mileage) its starts but then cuts out. Just as it would if the immobiliser isnt disabled.

As mine is intermittent im unsure if its the same problem you had... but i do know its STRESSING! me out