2.0TDI consumption

L333fow

Reaction score
Hi all hope you all had good Xmas!
right was randomly thinking car seems to drink diesel quick, now I know the wife isn't the most Eco driver and does mixed motorway and B roads to and from work!
last time I filled up with £60 and remember it stated 700+miles to tank and we got 372 til light came on now working that out is average of 39mpg does that sound right? Wife says she gets on average 42-47mpg on average on DIS now I know these ain't always accurate so I'm just trying to decide if I need to do some playing to get her running a bit better?

Reactions: sliced
I have an 07 2.0tdi with a darkside developments hybrid turbo and pipework on. Last week, I did the south of france to Leeds (1150 miles) on 2 tanks at 85-90 mph. I normally average 450-550 miles to a tank with mixed road driving.

When I fill up our 2.0L TDi the DIS normally says 450 miles. The wife uses the car 90% of the time around town and we arrange 39 mpg

Reactions: T-800
45mpg full to full, DSG, mostly very hilly minor roads, not been on a motorway with it yet!

Cheers for the replys guys!
I forget to mention mines the 140
Looks like it's about norm then
I'm going to be driving from Wakefield to cornwall in June so that will be good test!
Just fitted cruise control too so just need to get wife to use it

sounds about right tbh, I had a 140 tdi, used to get approx 340 from a full tank but i tend to have a heavy right foot

Reactions: nezz and Phil-1
See 340 from a tank from a diesel I think is poor! 500+ at least
I'm sure I could have got 340 from my focus st!

****** ell i get that from my corrado 2.0ltr 16v

See 340 from a tank from a diesel I think is poor! 500+ at least
I'm sure I could have got 340 from my focus st!

all depends on roads, tyre pressure, fuel you use, driver style, traffic etc

Reactions: nezz
My 07 140. Gets about 450-500 miles to a tank. And I have a heavy foot every now and then.

And my turbo blew 3 days ago so hope for more when replaced.

It's also had a remap.

My 11 140. 39 about the town seems spot on.
Stuck in a line of traffic doing 55-60mph normally is 51mpg.
Spirited driving low 40's mpg.
Fill up the tank and Dis says 450 until I take it out the road and it says 575.
Had 430 miles before the light came on a long drive. That was sitting at 80 all the way with cruise control on :)

The most i've done is 580 out of a tank (140 model) and cruising at 70 I'm getting 57mpg +. If I drive foot to the floor for a tank it's between 400-450 I used to get 350 out of my '06 megane rs if driven sensibly.... I think you you should be expecting more.

Any ideas what can be done to maybe gain that bit more in terms of cleaning? I was thinking clean turbo (mr muscle method) and may engine/injector cleaner?

Hi also have this from cruise control at 70 flat ground reset pressed Mpg

I have an 04 2.0TDI 140 (with 130k on the clock!!) and I easily get 480-530 miles to a tank, average just below 50mpg. I'm quite shocked at people agreeing with 340-ish being the norm!!

I drive 80-85 on the motorway and tend to be a little heavy footed around town too, average tank is a good mix between motorway and town driving.

Getting it remapped beginning of Jan so hoping to see even better mpg after that.

170 Quattro B7 A4 avant, just shy of 97K on the clock and we get 400-450 miles from a full tank of v-power (always v-power). This is with a fairly spirited driving style when conditions allow on a daily mixture of everything from country B roads to motorways to city traffic.

170 Quattro B7 A4 avant, just shy of 97K on the clock and we get 400-450 miles from a full tank of v-power (always v-power). This is with a fairly spirited driving style when conditions allow on a daily mixture of everything from country B roads to motorways to city traffic.

Isn't the tank size on an A4 B7 70L? a3 tdi is 55L if I remember correctly.

Isn't the tank size on an A4 B7 70L? a3 tdi is 55L if I remember correctly.

That sounds about right for the A4 mate, no idea on the A3 but the MkIV Golf GTTDI we had before was 55L

Tank size on the A3 is 55 litres, the PD170 is pretty poor (in diesel terms) round town, especially when the engine isn't warmed up. You get much better MPG on motorway runs but even when you creep over 70-75mph the mpg starts to slip again.