Wheel fitment question, sorry...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
I tried the search button but didn't throw up an answer ,
so I'm very sorry if I've cluttered the forum,
I'm over from the 8L section but I'm trying to help a friend with an 8P a3 tdi...
he bought a set of 19 inch rs4 style wheels off another a3 do the same age, the donor car was lowered and his is standard ride height ,
the new wheels catch slightly on the inside of the rear arch ... I think it's the plastic liner to be honest.
He asked me what's wrong but I said I would ideally like to know what the correct wheel fitment ( width of rim and offset ) and what tyre size should be used before I could make any sence of it all.
did the other car being lower mean it gained some camber ? I know my 8l S3 did.
Thanks in advance for any help
PaulPaul

hi Paul , from reading posts rubbing with 19s is a common problem , do believe its cured by removing a bolt that holds the arch liner in place , and the tyre width also can cause problems , I have stuck with 18s !
I'm sure other folk will be along and advise

Hi mate... Standard offset for the 8p hub is et50... And before anyone comments saying this is wrong, this is the hub and not any particular set of alloys....

19" wheels... 225/35 r19 is the highest tyre size i'd run... Remove the arch liner screw if any rubbing... Had a set of these on the s3 without any rubbing issues... These rims were 8.5j with et43... Maximum youd get away with legally on the 8p chassis...

Hi mate... Standard offset for the 8p hub is et50... And before anyone comments saying this is wrong, this is the hub and not any particular set of alloys....

19" wheels... 225/35 r19 is the highest tyre size i'd run... Remove the arch liner screw if any rubbing... Had a set of these on the s3 without any rubbing issues... These rims were 8.5j with et43... Maximum youd get away with legally on the 8p chassis...

How can the hub have an offset? The offset would alwyas be 0 on the hub.

Anyway, you're spot on with the limits. 225/35s on an 8.5J wide ET43-44 is right on the limit of not rubbing. Any bigger a tyre, or lower an offset and you'll probably catch the arch. Not always though, as some tyres have different shoulder profiles, and a wider wheel could have enough stretch to bring the tyre clear.

And, as 347 said, a lot of people remove the arch liner screw as that's the first thing that'll foul on the tyre. It only gives you maybe 2-3mm extra clearance, but that can be the difference between rubbing all the time and only rubbing under load/when the car's full.

Thanks lads... I asked him to go and check the wheels,
They are 8j with 235 tyres. And ... A 35 mm offset. So I guess he is screwed?
He said it catches on the rear with 2 passengers... I said maybe try 225 tyres as a last shot but possibly an expensive one

How can the hub have an offset? The offset would alwyas be 0 on he hub

I dont know mate... But look up any 8p chassis and it says the standard offset is ET50... Thats on an EU website