Bluefin superchips stage 1 remap - honest review

sliced

Drive safe, stay alive.
Reaction score
So I decided to get my A3 2.0 Tfsi remapped after reading up on how well it unleases the cars true potential. Not having any major tuning companies near me I decided to go for bluefin superchips who provide you with a handset so you can map the car yourself.

So when the handset arrived it was pretty much follow the instructions, plug in the device to car, upload map to laptop, they then recieve the map and send you their edited one back, you plug that in and off you go, 5 hours later. After connecting up the bluefin and installing the remap I was ready to test it. I started up the car and it made a lot of weird noises, knocks and thumping that went away after 10-15 seconds. I straight away messaged bluefin to ask if that was normal, and they replied it was diesel knock - a hangover from OBD communications whilst it syncs to the canbus. Great so my car is a diesel?! After telling them that it was a petrol, they said the same thing and not to worry.

Time to take the car for a spin, let the car warm up and set off to some open bit of country roads, the car felt normal under accerlation until 4k rpm where all hell broke loose, like another turbo ontop kicked in. Pretty happy with the map so far. I then noticed under certain conditions it would go spongey in 3rd gear at 5krpm and drop boost, so i emailed them and asked for a new map. The next day they had a new map sent to me, and so in the afternoon i plugged that in, and uploaded it, didn't really feel different at all, if anything car felt slower.

the Next time i tried taking the car out, it would not start up, dash flashing like christmas lights, and fans spinning like mad. I Tried connecting up the bluefin device but got an E001 communication error. Tried contacting bluefin and think they were closed on evening of christmas eve. So the car does not start and its christmas eve, great. Tried starting it the next day on christmas day, no avail. Obviously they wouldn't be open christmas day, so emailed them, tried ringing them on boxing day with no avail. Now today I have tried ringing them again and they are still closed, with no information of when they next open.

After looking on superchips website I saw a superchips dealer that listed a mobile number, great i thought, maybe he can help. Contacted him and he picked up and told me superchips was closed until the 2nd of Jan.

So currently I have a brick in the shape of an A3 parked up, which is useless for over a week! thanks bluefin superchips, thank you a lot.

That sounds like some real bad luck mate.
Hope you get it sorted out.
Will the bluefin not flash your standard map back either?

That sounds like some real bad luck mate.
Hope you get it sorted out.
Will the bluefin not flash your standard map back either?

Cheers buddy, nope bluefin won't do anything!
Can't even stand to look at the car anymore.... especially considering all xmas presents were car related :(

Is this a new bluefin?
If so I'd get them to get you back to standard and get your money back.
This doesn't help you for another week though.
I've heard of this before with the same symptoms and from memory it was the wrong file had been sent.

Reactions: sliced
You could also attempt to get compensation for being unable to drive for a week due to an error on their part. Whilst these issues may not be common place, with someone as established as bluefin they should really be able to give you the correct map for the year, model and version of ecu which works first time without fault.

You could also attempt to get compensation for being unable to drive for a week due to an error on their part. Whilst these issues may not be common place, with someone as established as bluefin they should really be able to give you the correct map for the year, model and version of ecu which works first time without fault.

yep thats the reason why i went with bluefin, as they are a big name and thought they'd be more helpful than say a man with a van and his laptop.

It's shocking that they're closed until next Thursday though.

yep, proper annoyed that it doesn't say anywhere on their website that they are closed until then, nor if you email their files department, nor on any answer message when you try to ring them. I'm glad ric @ wiltshire was able to tell me they ain't back till the 2nd.

Ask if the AA or RAC can come out and flash the ECU. Then it might be worth the drive to somewhere like Rtech to have it custom mapped on the rolling road. There's a reason why people travel hundreds of miles to get to Rtech.

reputable custom map all the way! least you know your driving off with everything working.

Try to get a battery charger on the car and see if you can get the bluefin to work after that and put your stock map back on

I always use a charger to make sure the supply is strong enough while flashing the car, especially in the winter

Try to get a battery charger on the car and see if you can get the bluefin to work after that and put your stock map back on

I always use a charger to make sure the supply is strong enough while flashing the car, especially in the winter

Cheers buddy, battery is fully charged but doesn't make a difference

I know this doesnt help but Shark do a self tuning system, would of been £500+ but a proven map!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I have just brought a bluefin for my A3 2.0 tfsi too and remapped... luckily I haven't had any issues. Maybe a bad / corrupt map file?

The power on anything above half throttle is ferocious (well compared to what I've been used to anyway).

Chances are you'll have some fault codes that need clearing. Do you or a friend have access to VCDS?

1497913_10153575200050012_121975306_o.jpg

Fair to say there are a few fault codes its throwing at the very least, can't get hold of vcds till after new years at the earliest :wacko:

The one I remember had had the wrong file sent.
It had silly things like cooling fans running all the time and brake failure etc coming up on the dash, which if they were open is probably a simple fix by sending you another map.
Just a combination if their muck up and bad timing.

Reactions: Artimus and sliced
1497913_10153575200050012_121975306_o.jpg

Fair to say there are a few fault codes its throwing at the very least, can't get hold of vcds till after new years at the earliest :wacko:

your car look like a christmas tree!!! :p

Guess this is always going to be a problem with 'self-service' mapping. Personally never had a problem with Bluefin or Superchips or their maps and got up to Stage 2 before moving to APR. I actually had to change my tyres due to embarrassing wheel spin ...

The one I remember had had the wrong file sent.
It had silly things like cooling fans running all the time and brake failure etc coming up on the dash, which if they were open is probably a simple fix by sending you another map.
Just a combination if their muck up and bad timing.

yep, hope its something simple as that. only thing is the 8 days without use of a car! and very poor communication on their part, they haven't even stated anywhere when they are next open!

Yeah mate a massive problem being without your car and I'd make sure and let them know too.
I'm sure they need to send your another file then talk you through the emergency recovery procedure.

You'd think they'd have an on call technical person at least some if the time.

Have you got the first map they sent you via email?

Can you upload that to the control box and reflash?

At least it will get you going again.

Have you got the first map they sent you via email?

Can you upload that to the control box and reflash?

At least it will get you going again.

Doesn't work like that, they don't send maps via email, its all sync'd via their desktop software, thanks though.

Can you use the handset to clear any of the fault codes?
I think that you must have been sent the wrong map. I must agree that it is very bad service not to have any techy on duty as people are buying Bluefins all the time.
Depending on where you are located, could you contact a Superchips reseller as they have access to all of the maps via a secure internet link and you could be reflashed with the correct file. Yuor standard map will be stored on the handset. Afterwards, send the handset back for a refund.
I have a Bluefin for my S3 and maybe I was lucky but everything worked and I am very pleased with the result.
As an aside, I have had recent experience with R-Tech who did a super job remapping our GTi 1.8T.

Can you use the handset to clear any of the fault codes?
I think that you must have been sent the wrong map. I must agree that it is very bad service not to have any techy on duty as people are buying Bluefins all the time.
Depending on where you are located, could you contact a Superchips reseller as they have access to all of the maps via a secure internet link and you could be reflashed with the correct file. Yuor standard map will be stored on the handset. Afterwards, send the handset back for a refund.
I have a Bluefin for my S3 and maybe I was lucky but everything worked and I am very pleased with the result.
As an aside, I have had recent experience with R-Tech who did a super job remapping our GTi 1.8T.

Nope handset wont even connect to get to the menu for allowing diagnostics. Already tried contacting resellers, one nice enough guy did pick up and let me know that superchips is closed until next year 2nd jan and that there is nothing he could do to help :ohmy:

Glad to hear about R-Tech, seems to be a reoccuring name being mentioned in this thread, don't think i've actually heard anything negative or even neutral about them, its all good feedback lol.

Sorry to hear your having problems mate, sucks to be without a car for Christmas. :(

Mine installed fine & the car flies compared to how it was pre-Bluefin.

I did a little reading before I bought mine and learned that a few people had issues with Superchips supplying a map for a manual that made the car run doggish! So I stated mine was a DSG when I first submitted my car's file & description. The file they returned is the only one I've had and I couldn't be happier.

This is no good to you now because it's not going to get your car on the road today, but it may prove to be at the root of the issues you're having.

Good Luck.

BTW: Here's a screen grab of my car's registration info:

Bluefin

as you can see, I didn't leave anything to chance. ;)

Last edited:
Doesn't work like that, they don't send maps via email, its all sync'd via their desktop software, thanks though.

The maps can be retrieved on your PC as I remember storing my original map - can't remember how exactly now though ...

Small update: a sales manager of superchips saw the comment i left on their facebook page and rang me this morning from his house. Hes trying to get it sorted it out, fingers crossed :happy:

Reactions: Artimus
Best bet is for them to rectify said ****-up, get original map back on, get your money back with a little compo for being without your car and then go and get a reputable remap. Always have your original map as back up just incase.........thats one thing I always do as alot of times I have to upload original for cars going back into the dealers for warranty work. My S3 map gets swapped over quite alot due to stuff getting done under warranty.

Reactions: CHEZ, Dave-S3, sliced and 1 other person
SHARKs self tuning system is excellent and maybe on option for you if you decide not to pursue the Superchips route.
The map made a bid difference.
After sales was good too.

I started up the car and it made a lot of weird noises, knocks and thumping that went away after 10-15 seconds. I straight away messaged bluefin to ask if that was normal, and they replied it was diesel knock - a hangover from OBD communications whilst it syncs to the canbus. Great so my car is a diesel?! After telling them that it was a petrol, they said the same thing and not to worry.
I would have been worried at this point, they didn't even know the car was a Petrol . And gave you the same fob off that may actually apply to a diesel remap.

Did some Google surfing

Help with bluefin

Had Its Chips :-( - Skoda Octavia II (2004 - 2013) - BRISKODA.net - The Skoda Forum and Community

Try disconnecting the battery earth lead and short to the positive for 30 seconds to see if that helps.

Karl.

Try disconnecting the battery earth lead and short to the positive for 30 seconds to see if that helps.

Karl.
:wtf:

DO NOT short the Negi to the Posi unless you know how to replace burnt out circuitry.

Reactions: CHEZ and sliced