8p interior map light mod

WALTO TDI

Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone tried on does anyone know if it is possible to combine the map reading light part rom the 8L a3 to the other side of the 8P interior light. So making an 8p interior map light?
seen a few 8L lights dirt cheap so if it's possible it would be a good cheap mod for people?

You can already get map lights on the 8p they were part of the interior lighting pack. The unit also comes with the red ambient lighting in too... Only £20-£30 secondhand.

I can't find any for that price in black - they all seem to be around the £100 mark?? Do you know where I can get a black one from?

Cheers

Personally I'd keep an eye on eBay and eBay.de, the black ones are slightly harder to come by but you should be able to pick one up for well under £100 as you can buy them new for that! Assuming you don't have a sunroof the part number you're looking for is 8E0947135D 6PS, the same part was also used in the A4 so if you happen to take a look around a breakers yard for the part the take a peek inside those too :)

I've been looking on the bay for A4 ones too but they are like hens teeth!!!

Get a cream one and spray the cover satin black. I did a black one to grey and it looked the part.

There are light logos on the map light switches that are in white.

Doh! I did them with a fine brush leaving the logos alone so they still lit up.
I wouldn't bother as you don't notice them unless you sit really low in your seat; - or have OCD!!!

just so you know , you can buy the black one from the 8L which are around 20 quid , and remove the parts needed to fit the 8p .

the black cover with the map lights in fits the newer 8p one . the switches just unclip and fit in the 8p base 2 metal clips for the map light bulbs are removed from the 8L and push back into the 8p version . the only thing i had to do which i had forgot about is , only some 8L lights have only 1 microphone slot in the centre ,where as the 8p has 3. so i had to drill a series of small 1.5 mm holes in the correct place , also drilled the 2 red ambient light holes as well to fit 2 red leds.

total cost £16.50 for 8L light
£0.47 for 2 led and resistors .
1 lego block to hold leds in correct place , and a bit of patience for an hour swapping bits over .

the rear light also fits but the plug is different , need to source one of these and re wire rear light for map lights with centre switch.