Looking to hybrid my 170 quattro

Chris6t9

Reaction score
Recently i had my DFP removal delete and remap to 200 bhp at sanspeed, and the stock turbo is over boosting all over the place on 86k miles and is also a horrible drive, so i am looking to get it changed.

Spoke to a guy at Saxon motorsport down my way who i have been told knows his stuff with TDI and he said i can get 275 bhp with the hybrid.

Can the internals take that? He did ask if mine was the 140 or the 170, and when i said it was the 170 he assured it would be fine. Thought the only difference between the 140 and the 170 was it has a bigger turbo? I'm guessing this is not the case otherwise he wouldn't have asked right?

Thought i would post this up in-case anyone else thinks different and could advise!

home - Saxon Motorsport

Last edited:
also if you dont know yet, the DPF law change for MOT. so id be worrying about that first!

But about anything else, i have no idea :p

Wait what? 275 that would be more than S3 power. No way, you looking at about 225-240 max with just hybrid. I think devonmikeyboy made like 330bhp with stock internals

I would be surprised if the car would have the overhead on the injectors to supply enough fuel for 275bhp on standard injectors.
I am sure they are only good for around 230-240bhp.
Also how much torque are you looking to try and put through the standard clutch. Going to 240bhp will probably be beyond what the standard clutch is happy with. you will need to goto a Sachs organic probably.
A hybrid turbo will typicaly give you another 20-25% on top of what a standard turbo will as it is quite often just a larger compressor, even if the exhaust turbine is enlarged it won't be that much. To get 275bhp you would need a completely different turbo not just a reworked standard one.
Looking at Saxon Motorsports price list

STAGE 3 TUNING PACKAGE – ultimate race / fast road spec for VAG vehicles
- ECU Remap
- Replacement turbo and exhaust manifold
- Inter cooler, inlet manifold and associated pipe work upgrade
- Injector upgrade
- Replacement stainless steel exhaust system
Prices from £3750.00 fitted
Our full race conversion can run over 250 bhp and nearly 400 lb/ft torque whilst still maintaining 40 mpg average.
As fitted in our endurance race cars.

They only get 250bhp out of there race cars so how is he going to get 275bhp out of your car ??

Karl.

complete load of bo**ocks youre been told , my nephew spent £1300 on a hybrid turbo for his a4 170 same engine as such as the a3 with expectations of 50+bhp on top of a stock remap .
so standard before hybrid with just remap and dpf delete +stainless exhaust 207 bhp rolling road confirmed .
after with stage 2 hybrid + custom map , full stainless from turbo back dpf+egr delete 236 bhp and struggled at that . done at rs leeds .
injectors maxed out ,maf deleted ,car smoked like a biatch . had so much torque would spin in 4th gear np . but £1800 for turbo +map
for a mere 29 bhp wouldnt bother .

i got 5 bhp less than that with a 140 bkd in an a3 for the sum of £800 .

forgot to add he sold his original turbo back to the guy who bought his car after the turbo melted with high egts for £100

As above the duration required for standard injectors to inject the fuel for 240bhp is just too long and results in loads of smoke and really excessive EGT's as the turbine side of turbo is just too small. Stick some uprated injectors and a 2260 on the car and you could be heading for 280bhp + but that is going to cost a load of money.

Karl.

Cheers guys. Im not sure why hes told me that then. So hybrid is probably the best option but just take it to 220 to be safe?

After a bit of though Id still like the car to last as long as it should and still do half decent mpg. Or would my mpg suffer that much that im best off chopping it in for a s3?