Service advice please...

davesimmo

Reaction score
My Dec 08 TDI 170 has just pinged up that it requires a service in 1400 miles. So approx 4 weeks time.
I will be on 97k when it goes in for the service.
I am not bothered what the car needs, it will always get what it needs and genuine parts only. Anyway, I would like to know if you guys recommend anything in particular is changed, cleaned or replaced at this mileage, that isn't included in the service. Then I can suggest it is done to the dealer.
Does the turbo, DPF or anything like that require attention on this service or are they none serviceable items.
thanks in advance

Just Audi in Outer Circle Road, provide superb service. They'll give sound accurate advice.

Audi recommend changing the DPF around the 90k mark so I'd be interested to see if they advise you on this, it's nearly a grand to replace I've read. Has the DPF been behaving itself?

A grand,I thought the part alone was more than that

You might be right mate. Either way, it's a big chunk of cash.

Big chunk of cash for sure. If I had a DPF and they recommended it I'd be saying no thanks so long as yours is working fine of course

Just Audi in Outer Circle Road, provide superb service. They'll give sound accurate advice.
Yeah, they are top guys in there, that is where it is going, I bought it from them. The same car at Audi was nearly £2k more.

Audi recommend changing the DPF around the 90k mark so I'd be interested to see if they advise you on this, it's nearly a grand to replace I've read. Has the DPF been behaving itself?
Touch wood.... The DPF has been fine, but I travel 20 miles to work everyday so it gets plenty of time to get hot enough for a regen. Plus I don't drive like Miss Daisy. Not all of the time anyway. :superman:

When it comes to a DPF in my eyes if it's not broke, don't fix it lol and certainly don't replace it

Big chunk of cash for sure. If I had a DPF and they recommended it I'd be saying no thanks so long as yours is working fine of course

Oh yes I would definitely be saying nah your ok, but I wonder how many people that insist on going to the main stealers say yeah ok then Bob. Rip me off.
I have contemplated getting a DPF delete and remap, but it is such a grey area with regards to the law changing etc, I don't think its worth it.

Yeah I can imagine if it's a serviceable item audi will try some quality upsell.
I personally think it is worth getting it deleted myself, if you get it gutted rather than removed I think you'd be just fine. Unless you get the king of all uncle kn*bheads as your MOT tester.

Reactions: davesimmo
Yeah I can imagine if it's a serviceable item audi will try some quality upsell.
I personally think it is worth getting it deleted myself, if you get it gutted rather than removed I think you'd be just fine. Unless you get the king of all uncle kn*bheads as your MOT tester.
Yeah I have heard that is transforms the car by miles.... I was very tempted until all the latest stuff about the law etc came along.
I will have a look round for a recommended company that offers the gutting rather than removing process I think, make a few enquiries. :rock: now you have got me thinking.

Oh yes I would definitely be saying nah your ok, but I wonder how many people that insist on going to the main stealers say yeah ok then Bob. Rip me off.
I have contemplated getting a DPF delete and remap, but it is such a grey area with regards to the law changing etc, I don't think its worth it.

I agree mate. I wouldn't want to do anything with mine until I was absolutely sure it was ok to pass the MOT. Touch wood I'm good for a couple of years yet!

I agree mate. I wouldn't want to do anything with mine until I was absolutely sure it was ok to pass the MOT. Touch wood I'm good for a couple of years yet!

Yeah glad I am not the only one in the lonely boat, but as Andy said, perhaps a gutting rather than a removal would be the way to go, it would only be a fail if you got an uncle Kn*bh*ad MOT tester. Lol

Plus gutting is cheaper and you get the same results I'd imagine other than maybe the sound with a different pipe on. Get it mapped to 205, think you'd be more than happy with the results.

When it comes to a DPF in my eyes if it's not broke, don't fix it lol and certainly don't replace it

The reason for replacement is because the DPF catches soot, and regularly burns this off (regeneration). However, when soot burns off it leaves ash behind which cannot be removed by the engine regeneration process or suchlike, and the DPF should be removed and replaced with a fresh (reconditioned) one when the ash threshold becomes critical. The old unit goes away to be reconditioned.

There's a much cheaper "reconditioning" process (usually done by backstreet garages etc.) where they remove the DPF, airline in one end, and blow the ash out (or pressure washer I've heard can also work). Not really environmentally friendly but certainly cheaper than a new one eh.