Redline MT oil A3 Quattro

0120raptor

Reaction score
The gear change on my recently bought A3 Quattro was superb ,couldn`t be better.However I decided to change all the fluids .I put Redline MT 90 in the gearbox (GL4) as was advised on this forum.The gearchange now is considerably worse especially from cold.No idea what oil was in the box previously.Is there any better oil than the Redline?

See what Opie Oils recommends.

Cold shifts can be helped by a thinner oil like a 85 or 80

Can a GL5 be used ? Some GL5 are too slippery and are more suited to diffs.

Also there is a belief that GL5 can harm the brass syncro's, this is out of date as any reputable oil manufacturer won't have the additives that harm yellow metals.

Fuchs might be worth a punt.

Redline MT 90 was what Opie Oils recommended.When I complained to them about the stiff gearchange they told me there website info was wrong and they should have sent me a straight 70.I`m sure a 70 is wrong it should be 75W90 or am I wrong?

The gear change on my recently bought A3 Quattro was superb ,couldn`t be better.However I decided to change all the fluids .I put Redline MT 90 in the gearbox (GL4) as was advised on this forum.The gearchange now is considerably worse especially from cold.No idea what oil was in the box previously.Is there any better oil than the Redline?

hey raptor im using the redline mt 90 GL4 myself and i have no problems if anything it made my gear changes smother , did you put the right oil int here i used just under a gallon

Drain whatever you have put in, and get 3litres from a VW dealer. DON'T use anything else in this gearbox, it may cause long term damage to selector.s VW don't give the full specs for the oil on their bottles, but if you get it from there you know it's the right stuff. I would never normally advise going to a dealer for oil but in this case I do!

The part number is G052171A2 (sold in 1ltr bottles).

Last edited:
i think you are mistaken ive used it on my 8L s3 and now the 8P both manual, and had no issues with the oil as long as its 'GL4' / 'MT 90' then i dont see why, i even use GL5 for the rear diff and the only oil i actually buy from Audi is for the haldex

I'm not mistaken in what you've used, just that to be sure of the correct oil you may as well get it from VW (who do not state the spec of the oil). The OP already stated that he has used Redline MT90 and now suffers poor gearchange, and he's not alone! All I'm recommending is going for the OEM fluid as it's designed specifically for this box, other VW manual gearboxes have different oils specified for them, so throwing in some generic GL4 / MT90 is perhaps not ideal.

From post#22 6speed transmission fluid - Page 2 - TDIClub Forums
OEM vs motul gear 300 tranny fluid - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Last edited:
Is Tim from Opie Oils on here as he is most car forums ?

There is nothing he doesn't know or can't find out about.

I've know him to recommend different transmission oils across the VAG range depending if it's a 5 speed or 6 speed.

Wether it's has some wear or has poor cold shifts.

Don't decide until you have heard from him, ideally by him posting on this thread to help others.