• 1 Post By t8ups
  • 1 Post By Lloydie22
  • 1 Post By ounce
  • 1 Post By LEE69

Thread: 2009 S3 8P LED Bootlight not working

3rd Gear

Status

2009 S3 8P LED Bootlight not working

Pretty much as the title suggests. Ive replaced the entire rest of the car with LEDs and no issues at all. But for some reason the boot light LED is giving me problems. Ive tried a few different LEDs in it now, from push in LEDs, to buying a complete separate LED unit housing (which didnt work at all). It seems that the light will come on when the number plate lights are OFF. But wont otherwise. Sometimes I have noticed it flickering also.

Do they maybe need a separate resistor of some kind? Thanks.
    Last edited by s3_trev; 20th December 2013 at 17:46.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Also, I took care to get bulbs labelled as error free, or CANBUS etc.

Neutral

Status
    i have the same problem and would like a solution

Neutral

Status
    I also have the same problem after upgrading to LED's. All the other bulbs are fine, just the boot
    2009 Audi S5 - White - tip tronic 4.2 V8
    Located in Sout
    hampton

3rd Gear

Status
    Ok well this is good that its not just me. I have been doing some research guys and I think we may need to use resistors of some kind. If you skip to 3:53 mins into this video;

Audi A3 LED Install - 8P Chassis - YouTube

That is what I mean. I have also just ordered these of ebay:

2 x T10 501 W5W CANBUS NO ERROR LED Sidelight Load Resistors | eBay

I have no idea if they will work but its worth a shot. If they do I will cut them and solder them in-line. Although they do say sidelight bulb, the boot had the same light (W5W) so I'm thinking it could work. Doubt il get them before xmas though.

RED FIVE STANDING BY
    Zookeeper Champion

Status
    I had the same problem last year when I changed all my lights to LED's,the only one I could get to work in the boot was provided by forum member t8ups
    Last edited by SPARTAN91; 20th December 2013 at 20:41.
    t8ups likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN91 View Post
    I had the same problem last year when I changed all my lights to LED's,the only one I could get to work was provided by forum member t8ups
    Does it come on and stay on when its supposed to? No flickering or anything like that? Id be interested to know if he wired in a resistor of some kind inside the bulb housing.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloydie22 View Post
    I also have the same problem after upgrading to LED's. All the other bulbs are fine, just the boot
    Whats your doing?

Trups
    SLOW REPLIES BETWEEN 22nd - 30th June due to been out the office, please bare with me. Thanks

Bi Xenon Projector kits starting at £79.99 per pair.

EM Tuning Lighting.

5th Gear

Status
    I can supply it, custom bulb designed for the standard Audi A3 boot light which works.

Trups
    SLOW REPLIES BETWEEN 22nd - 30th June due to been out the office, please bare with me. Thanks

EM Tuning Lighting.

5th Gear

Status
    s3_trev likes this.

EM Tuning Lighting.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_trev View Post
    Does it come on and stay on when its supposed to? No flickering or anything like that? Id be interested to know if he wired in a resistor of some kind inside the bulb housing.
    No resistor, all in the bulb, direct plug and play.

Trups

EM Tuning Lighting.

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks for posting. Its good to hear you can offer a working solution! If you dont mind me asking, how come your bulbs work while others dont, if you dont have a resistor? What's different about yours? That's a genuine question by the way I am not trying to sound smart.
    t8ups likes this.

Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

5th Gear

Status
    Hi.

its fine to ask. I stand by everything I sell and offer a refund if it don't work.

The bulb was designed when I made the panels for the lamp, I knew the wattage of the bulb had to be close to the OE 5w it needs, if not then it wont work. like you I tried loads of different off the shelf bulbs which failed to light up, the ones I have designed have the correct working current so will fire up without turning back off. The bulbs have a resistor built into the Bulb, they are not bulky and are attached out the way at the back of the board so its neat, tidy and look smart.

lloydie22 is having trouble with his, he bought the kit last week, until he lets me know I don't know whats up with his but it may just be down to the contacts on the connector not making contact so is a easy fix.

I have sold over 250 of the boot bulbs just for the 8P all over the world and all have worked, like you I get customers who come just for the boot light as they have tried others before and have virtually given up.

The bulb is £7 and £2 postage.

Give it a try, if it don't work I will refund you fully including the postage and the postage you pay to return it.

Trups

EM Tuning Lighting.

Neutral

Status
    I have pm'd you. Its an error on my behalf and not the bulb i'm sure! I wasnt knocking your bulbs there great
    t8ups likes this.
    Located in Sout
    hampton

1st Gear

Status
    I had the same issue, Lloydie22. I solved the issue I was having by soldering Trups lamp straight to the connector. Works great.
    t8ups likes this.
    Audi A3 Sline 170 2.0 TDI

Mods Done
    -
    RNS-E mkII fitted, Tinted Repeaters, Center Armrest,
    LED Interior Lights, Cruise Control, LED Number Plate Lights,
    VW fan windshield washers, S3 Pedals, Metal Footrest,
    DPF & EGR delete, Unicorn Remap, De-badged the tailgate.

With DPF Without DPF

5th Gear

Status
    I have pm'd you. Its an error on my behalf and not the bulb i'm sure! I wasnt knocking your bulbs there great
    Wasn't implying you was bud, just want it to be working so you can enjoy what you have bought from me.

Trups

EM Tuning Lighting.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by coxy8329 View Post
    I had the same issue, Lloydie22. I solved the issue I was having by soldering Trups lamp straight to the connector. Works great.
    They are fiddly to fit but once you have done a few around the car they are a doddle, I could fit a sportback A3 with light pack within less than 10 mins now lol.

Trups

EM Tuning Lighting.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ups View Post
    Hi.

its fine to ask. I stand by everything I sell and offer a refund if it don't work.

The bulb was designed when I made the panels for the lamp, I knew the wattage of the bulb had to be close to the OE 5w it needs, if not then it wont work. like you I tried loads of different off the shelf bulbs which failed to light up, the ones I have designed have the correct working current so will fire up without turning back off. The bulbs have a resistor built into the Bulb, they are not bulky and are attached out the way at the back of the board so its neat, tidy and look smart.

lloydie22 is having trouble with his, he bought the kit last week, until he lets me know I don't know whats up with his but it may just be down to the contacts on the connector not making contact so is a easy fix.

I have sold over 250 of the boot bulbs just for the 8P all over the world and all have worked, like you I get customers who come just for the boot light as they have tried others before and have virtually given up.

The bulb is £7 and £2 postage.

Give it a try, if it don't work I will refund you fully including the postage and the postage you pay to return it.

Trups
    You sound like a top bloke mate. Thanks. I will def be ordering one of those then. Do you have a PayPal address I can send payment to?

Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

5th Gear

Status
    Hi.

Paypal is trups_27@hotmail.com

Please make sure there is a postal address.

Postage quote is to the uk.

Thanks
    s3_trev likes this.

EM Tuning Lighting.

3rd Gear

Status
    Well folks I can now confirm that the problem has been fixed, and was indeed due to the boot light needing resistors. I actually ended up with two working solutions, as I managed to get a previous LED that I purchased working, by wiring in a resistor that I got from ebay. But then I also purchased a bulb from Trups, which worked as intended, without having to wire in any resistor, you just need to fix it into the OEM light housing. I would also recommend Trups in general as he is a very helpful guy and can be trusted to post out any items you get from him. Case closed

Pic of finished product tested and working

Thanks for everyone that input to the thread. If anyone has any questions just PM me.

Neutral

Status
    Good news mate. Looks good! I cam also vouch for trups aswell, top guy
    s3_trev likes this.
    Located in Sout
    hampton

Reverse Gear

Status
    Are you still selling them? I wish i could of bought your kit instead i purchased one from ebay and im really disappointed i just need the boot led now after loads of grief i cant afford another set

Quote Originally Posted by t8ups View Post
    Hi.

Paypal is trups_27@hotmail.com

Please make sure there is a postal address.

Postage quote is to the uk.

Thanks
    t8ups likes this.

07 170 DSG

Status
    Pm Him mate T8ups is great got all my interior leds and sidelights of him.
    t8ups likes this.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional