JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    35

    Coming home lights and heated rear windscreen not working...

    Hi all,

    Ive recently purchased an S3 pre facelift and its great fun however there are a couple of minor teething problems I would like to sort out and was hoping for some help....

    Firstly the heated rear windscreen doesn't work - Ive checked the fuses ( and the forums ) and have had no luck. So i put a circuit tester on the two soldering tabs here:





    Which made a circuit!

    I then noticed this on the other side which was a little more concerning.... not too sure why anyone would need to solder here....








    Then I realised that just because I am getting a circuit at the two soldering point doesn't mean that the windscreen heating element is not broken as it could be making a circuit back into the car.

    Is the next best thing to take the wires out of the module pictured above and test the wiring going through the car and forward?

    also the rear heated button led stays lit only when engine is running - when just the ignitions on it goes off after a couple of seconds



    The other problem is, and could be me being a numpty... the coming home lights do not work - no Led lighting ever no matter if I hold it tap it anything. Ignition on / off - light /dark it doesn't matter its dead. Anyway of testing this with VCDS?

    My first suspicion is the clifford alarm that is installed - after about 30 seconds the immobiliser kicks in and seems to cut some power to the car. I have a booking in with some guys in Guildford to remove it as its a bit overkill where I live so I guess reviewing this once removed might make sure there is nothing complicating the issue....


    Any help would be great - and very appreciated...

    Connor

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    106
    Looks like there should be wires connected to the solder points in your second picture. See how the traces on the glass run to those points but do not continue between them, just like the first pic? Seems there is probably a similar module missing, did you look behind the trim there? Maybe some broken wires or a disconnected harness hanging? I'll take a look at my car in the daylight and see if I've got something connected there.

    Not sure about your CH/LH lights, but you can check if they are enabled in VCDS. Goes your head lamp switch have a CH/LH setting?

    Depending on what loses power when you turn the ignition off, it may be normal behavior. Many of the functions that work with ignition on (such as head unit and power windows) will remain functional after turning the ignition off, but only for a limited period of time or until you open the door. Not to say that the Clifford alarm isn't interfering in some way though.

  4. #3
    coxy8329's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    166
    The unit, 8P4 035 225B, in the first photo is part of the radio diversity antenna system. I doubt it is anything to do with the rear screen heating but I wait to be corrected.
    Has the heat unit been replaced with an after market unit? As that may explain the to missing wires.
    Audi A3 Sline 170 2.0 TDI

    Mods Done
    -
    RNS-E mkII fitted, Tinted Repeaters, Center Armrest,
    LED Interior Lights, Cruise Control, LED Number Plate Lights,
    VW fan windshield washers, S3 Pedals, Metal Footrest,
    DPF & EGR delete, Unicorn Remap, De-badged the tailgate.


    With DPF Without DPF

  5. #4
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD-A3 View Post
    Looks like there should be wires connected to the solder points in your second picture. See how the traces on the glass run to those points but do not continue between them, just like the first pic? Seems there is probably a similar module missing, did you look behind the trim there? Maybe some broken wires or a disconnected harness hanging? I'll take a look at my car in the daylight and see if I've got something connected there.

    Not sure about your CH/LH lights, but you can check if they are enabled in VCDS. Goes your head lamp switch have a CH/LH setting?

    Depending on what loses power when you turn the ignition off, it may be normal behavior. Many of the functions that work with ignition on (such as head unit and power windows) will remain functional after turning the ignition off, but only for a limited period of time or until you open the door. Not to say that the Clifford alarm isn't interfering in some way though.

    Hey,

    Thanks for the response, Ive removed the lighting control switch today to find the plug un attached to the CH / LH button which would explain a lot.... I probably should have looked at this first before starting with VCDS! Anyway all is now good on that front!




    Quote Originally Posted by coxy8329 View Post
    The unit, 8P4 035 225B, in the first photo is part of the radio diversity antenna system. I doubt it is anything to do with the rear screen heating but I wait to be corrected.
    Has the heat unit been replaced with an after market unit? As that may explain the to missing wires.
    You are right man, that module is for the radio diversity antenna, had a check on ETKA which is still new to me.... So it would defiantly make sense that the other two wires are for the heated windscreen. I partially removed the trim again today and can see any traces of some wires that may have been removed!

    I do have an aftermarket head unit - I'm a bit stumped on where to attempt to look for wires to trace from now!


    If either of you guys get a second to check to see if there is a module that would be awesome, thanks again for the help!

  6. #5
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    south yorkshire
    Posts
    628
    there should be another module in the tailgate which is the diversity antenna module ,the heated screen runs through this as well. its bigger than the one in your picture and is hidden by the plastic tailgate panel.

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by hollow View Post
    there should be another module in the tailgate which is the diversity antenna module ,the heated screen runs through this as well. its bigger than the one in your picture and is hidden by the plastic tailgate panel.
    Excellent, so once I've tracked that down I should be able to run wires possibly? ETKA suggests is has the part No. 8P4 035 225, do you know if this is in the lower tailgate trim? Ive tried to remove this but have had no luck - I have remove the two torq screw but its always feels as though the plastic is going to break.....

    Thanks again pal!

  8. #7
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    south yorkshire
    Posts
    628
    yes its in the lower trim panel which is held on by metal spring clips , remove the screws then hold onto the recess where the screws were and just yank on the panel it will come off .

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    35



    Got the lower trim removed and found what looks like the OEM connection.... however when testing the two pictured contacts with a circuit tester theres no luck. Does anyone think its worth running the wires to the point in the above picture where I am getting a circuit?

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    35
    strangely there was another unplugged connection in the boot module :/

    Thanks for everyones help its now all working!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Two modifications not working! (Cruise and coming home lights)
    By PhilPD in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th November 2011, 23:49
  2. Coming/leaving home lights and LED number plate bulbs?
    By C20JCK in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 22nd August 2011, 18:51
  3. Turning on alarm beep and coming home lights
    By Rigla in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 7th February 2011, 12:35
  4. Heated rear windscreen not working
    By Keefy in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th December 2010, 19:38
  5. Auto Lights and Come home lights
    By Mini-mad-matt in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th September 2010, 22:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO