Wheels wriggling/creeping whilst driving

Sayam

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi everyoneSo the latest with the car is changed from 19" to 18" alloys, now running 18" x 8J with 225/40/18 tyres on Eibach sportline springs which hopefully soon I'll change for Eibach pro-kit (it rubs ever so slightly at the moment sometimes). Anyway the problem I'm having is at high speeds even though I'm holding the steering tight and in one position, the car feels like the wheels/tyres themselves are moving. The best way I can describe this it's as though they are wriggling around a little or creeping. Another symptom is that although it isn't windy at all when I go round a bend on the motorway the car suddenly moves one way or the other exactly the same as it feels when you get hit with a side wind on the motorway all of a sudden.I've had a good google around and searched the forum. To eliminate the common causes the wheels have had their balancing checked and I've taken off the part-worn winter tyres that were on the front and replaced them with quality brand new tyres. The wheels aren't buckled as they are brand new.I guess the only other thing I could try is a full suspension setup but it only makes sense to do this once I've had the springs changed as this will throw the geometry out again and I'll have just wasted my £££.Any ideas?

Last edited:
Have you had the suspension checked? Could be a worn bush or a snapped rear spring (common).

Have you had the suspension checked? Could be a worn bush or a snapped rear spring (common).
Hi thanks for the reply. No I haven't had the suspension checked, when I go home this weekend (up north) I'll get my mechanic to check it. Visiually the car looks ok (as in it hasn't dropped on one side which is common with snapped spring).

What tyres are they?

Are the wishbone bushes in good condition?

Some Michelin ones...I think they're pretty good ones?

I'm not sure about wishbone bushes will get mechanic to check at the weekend, are there any other things I should get him to check? Wheel bearings? Anti-roll bar links?

Edit - my wheels use spigot rings, could these being the wrong ones cause this issue or would that be a different set of symptoms?

Last edited:
Checked the tyre pressures? Those size tyres need around 38psi before they're stable at higher speeds.

Have you put the old wheels back on? If they are fine then it is something to do with your new ones and could well be the spigot rings. Are you running spacers?

Checked the tyre pressures? Those size tyres need around 38psi before they're stable at higher speeds.

Really that high? I'm running 32 all round at the moment...

Have you put the old wheels back on? If they are fine then it is something to do with your new ones and could well be the spigot rings. Are you running spacers?

That's not a bad shout, I'll try old wheels at weekend, maybe with the old spigot rings on the new wheels if they fit. No I'm not using spacers

Bad spigot fitment would cause wheel balance issues before anything else.

Hi everyoneSo the latest with the car is changed from 19" to 18" alloys, now running 18" x 8J with 225/40/18 tyres on Eibach sportline springs which hopefully soon I'll change for Eibach pro-kit (it rubs ever so slightly at the moment sometimes). Anyway the problem I'm having is at high speeds even though I'm holding the steering tight and in one position, the car feels like the wheels/tyres themselves are moving. The best way I can describe this it's as though they are wriggling around a little or creeping. Another symptom is that although it isn't windy at all when I go round a bend on the motorway the car suddenly moves one way or the other exactly the same as it feels when you get hit with a side wind on the motorway all of a sudden.I've had a good google around and searched the forum. To eliminate the common causes the wheels have had their balancing checked and I've taken off the part-worn winter tyres that were on the front and replaced them with quality brand new tyres. The wheels aren't buckled as they are brand new.I guess the only other thing I could try is a full suspension setup but it only makes sense to do this once I've had the springs changed as this will throw the geometry out again and I'll have just wasted my £££.Any ideas?
Having similar symptoms! Did you get to the bottom of it?

I had an old VW Polo that had a very similar problem. When changing lanes on the motorway you had very little movement and then all of a sudden far too much. My problem was a loose nut (on the wishbone I think). I had it tightened up and the problem disappeared.