Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4

    Front wiper failure

    Hi All, I'm really struggling in diagnosing an issue with my front wipers and i'm hoping someone can shed some light on it... Vehicle: AUDI A3 54 plate Scenario: I bought the vehicle around 18 months ago and the concerned was in working order. The vehicle came with cheap aftermarket HID's which i have been meaning to change for some time now (some random Chinese make, i'm not sure which) Obviously at the time i wasn't aware of the potential issue (until trawling helpful forums like these) that can occur with HID's and wiper motor/wiper control module failing, from what i can ascertain that issue is due to either high voltage/current causing damaging Electro-magnetic charges, or the fact that the headlights and wiper unit share the same earth, high voltage causing damage to circuitry??? Anyway, they are still fitted and i assumed this to be the cause of the failure. Also, i have tried the obvious, fuses are fine and the bonnet latch is in good working order, so managed to borrow a working wiper motor from a friend, still not working not even a flicker when ignition on as they do. Now am i to understand that due to the direct power feed to the motor, there is no relay in the circuit that gives an audible 'click' upon using the stalk on the column? this leads me to believe that it could be the wiper control module under the dash? of which i have no way of telling if is working or not, can anybody provide information on what values, resistances etc it should read on particular pins? or another method of testing perhaps? If anybody has experienced this or something similar, your thoughts on what to do next would be greatly appreciated - RainEx only works for so long! haha Regards, Oliver
    Last edited by ogough; 16th December 2013 at 10:58. Reason: spelling mistake

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Grimsby
    Posts
    1,077
    welcome to the forum! (inb4 sandra! (i think))

    expensive audi garage visit, lol. but sounds like you had the HID's for a long time before wipe fail so your 'lucky'.
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    141
    Very common problem.

    The electromagnetic interference blow away the wiper motor.
    It can happen within 1 day or within 2 years... but eventually it happens.

    The wiper motor can be fixed.
    Look & you will find info about a company that repairs the A3 broken wiper motors.

    And of course, take that aftermarket HID kit from your car if you don't want it to happen again.

  5. #4
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Grimsby
    Posts
    1,077
    so you tryed someone elses motor and it still didnt work right?

    caus that would mean its not the motors that are broke :P
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    141
    Some times I heard about people with the same issue.

    They replaced the wiper motor & still didn't work.
    They were talking about using VAGCOM... but didn't really check on that since never had that problem.

  7. #6
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Grimsby
    Posts
    1,077
    Iv read it can go as far as fry some ecu components to certain things, so it really could be anything
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Foulds View Post
    Iv read it can go as far as fry some ecu components to certain things, so it really could be anything
    Yes, that a common issue on Peugeot 407, blows away the wiper motor & the BSM.
    But never heard about Audi A3 having that problem, very unlikely.

  9. #8
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Grimsby
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by blazedani View Post
    Yes, that a common issue on Peugeot 407, blows away the wiper motor & the BSM.
    But never heard about Audi A3 having that problem, very unlikely.
    Think i saw it on a golf V they their abs light and stuff came on caus of it lol. maybe we at audi are lucky!
    (and get that kit to smurfworth quicker!) :P
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Foulds View Post
    Think i saw it on a golf V they their abs light and stuff came on caus of it lol. maybe we at audi are lucky!
    (and get that kit to smurfworth quicker!) :P
    Also this issue shows up in Audi A4 B6. (ABS / ESP errors with aftermarket HID kits).

    Never saw it on Golf V before, but is good to know it can happen.
    (guess it all depends on the different aftermarket HID kits, higher or lower electromagnetic inferences depending on brands/quality)

    PS:
    I'm not the one sending the kit to smurfworth, but I'm following his case close & rushing welldone to deliver asap this kit.
    I think the kit is already on it's way to UK ;-)

  11. #10
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Grimsby
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by blazedani View Post
    Also this issue shows up in Audi A4 B6. (ABS / ESP errors with aftermarket HID kits).

    Never saw it on Golf V before, but is good to know it can happen.
    (guess it all depends on the different aftermarket HID kits, higher or lower electromagnetic inferences depending on brands/quality)

    PS:
    I'm not the one sending the kit to smurfworth, but I'm following his case close & rushing welldone to deliver asap this kit.
    I think the kit is already on it's way to UK ;-)
    Dam these crazy aftermarket HID kits...

    and good!
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

  12. #11
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by blazedani View Post
    Yes, that a common issue on Peugeot 407, blows away the wiper motor & the BSM.
    But never heard about Audi A3 having that problem, very unlikely.
    Interesting

    Quote Originally Posted by blazedani View Post
    Stock OEM HID for A3 8p does not blow away the motor. Regular aftermarket HID does.

    I think it�s obvious where the problem is. So just make regular HIDs like OEM HID.

    Somebody did already, so is so easy as use it.


    Wiper motor is not the only problem with regular aftermarket HIDs, there are plenty of them:
    - ABS
    - ESP
    - Airbag
    - Radio
    - The car engine turn off
    etc...

  13. #12
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    Yes thats accurate, still didnt work So im trying to narrow the issue down, i believe it could be the control unit, but i know nothing of it or how to test or indeed buy a new one from...

    Im loathed if im going to get slapped with a mahoooooosive diagnostic bill from and Audi garage....

  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by blazedani View Post
    Yes, that a common issue on Peugeot 407, blows away the wiper motor & the BSM. But never heard about Audi A3 having that problem, very unlikely.
    BSM? I ask as i know the motor is in good working order....
    Last edited by ogough; 18th December 2013 at 11:31. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by ogough View Post
    BSM? I ask as i know the motor is in good working order....
    BSM is the name of some electronic component on Peugeot cars.
    No need to worry about this in your A3.

    In your case (Audi A3) the wiper motor should be the only problem.

    Usually replacing the wiper motor is Plug & Play, no need to setup with VAGCOM as far as I know.
    Try to find threads about users with the same problem, maybe someone had the same issue with the new wiper motor not working before.

  16. #15
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,061
    You are testing the new wiper motor with the bonnet down aren't you? (just in case!).

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    You are testing the new wiper motor with the bonnet down aren't you? (just in case!).
    Yes i did, i have made that mistake before now though

  18. #17
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,061
    Me too, when I fitted some Xenon lights - OEM ballasts though - was worried for a time until a realised they don't work with the bonnet up!

  19. #18
    nefA4's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    miami fl,usa
    Posts
    64
    for sure ur cheap after market high voltage hid mess something up,now u have to find out what module or control or motor that work with ur wipers got fried, i been there but not with a3,after fixing problem get ur self a good set of hid theres some after market with low voltage or if u got the $$ money buy oem.good luck and when fix post so u could educate us on that symptom.

  20. #19
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by nefA4 View Post
    for sure ur cheap after market high voltage hid mess something up,now u have to find out what module or control or motor that work with ur wipers got fried, i been there but not with a3,after fixing problem get ur self a good set of hid theres some after market with low voltage or if u got the $$ money buy oem.good luck and when fix post so u could educate us on that symptom.
    Good info NefA4

    Totally right about that.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO