A3 2.0 TDI S Line common faults

Harveysmith

Reaction score
Hi Guys

my brother is going to look and hopefully buy a 2007 A3 8p 2.0 lt TDI 170 on the weekend. Got all the service history, can just been done. Is there anything he should be looking looking for or any common faults to watch out for?

thanks

Test the clutch; drive in 4th 5th or 6th and accelerate from 1800rpm to see if it slips.

Ask if it's had the injectors done on the (free) dealer recall. They replace all 4 and the loom if not already, so it's not a major issue if it hasn't been done yet (might be worth a call to AUDI to enquire it will still be done FOC).

How many miles has it done? I think it will have a DPF but someone else will need to confirm this???

I have the Special Edition which I'm fairly sure is the same 2.0 170 engine but with different interior/exterior spec and it has a DPF, the only thing to be sure of is running the engine up to temperature (10min drive) to ensure the DPF has time to burn off the particle thingys otherwise it will block up. Removing the DPF used to be an option to prevent this happening but new MOT laws state that if fitted then a DPF must be present.

When was the cambelt changed last? Should be done every 75K or every 5 years.You might want to check the DPF with that mileage, assuming that it has one. Audi recommend changing the DPF at that kind of mileage and it will cost close to the grand mark.

manual or auto? If auto make sure the dsg oil changes are done at the correct intervals, 38kish. DPF problems do occur, but worst case scenario you could get it gutted. Also make sure waterpump was changed with the cambelt.

170s have DPF yeah. From my experience engine mounts are common fault with the 2.0tfsi using same mounts (please correct if I'm wrong)

Abs pump seems fairly common