New S3 pics

Undisguised S3 on winter testing on Germancarfans

Clicky

2. # ADS
    ADS

Uber pimp meister

Status

Re: New S3 pics

That looks totally unexciting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Vroom Vroom

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    That looks totally unexciting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be expected I suppose - just a few extra visual touches here and there.

It looks a little wider than usual, and I hope those wheels are part of the 'disguise'!!! SURELY they are not the wheels it'll be released with?

Here's hoping it drives well......

6th Gear

Status

looks dull as dishwater.

I see they have kept the s3 logo on the clocks too.

I wonder if they'll try and flog the s-line styling on this car as an option :P

6th Gear

Status

I thought this was one of Audi's negatives or positives,depending on which side of the fence you sit.

Some want more outward indication of their 30K+,some are quite happy with discretion.

My MD's S4 looks dull as well,especially with it's standard 17inch wheels.

Personally,I'm not into 'bling' motors (certainly not in terms of wings/bodykits),but I just think they should do something to make the expensive models stand out from the cheap ones.

God knows what the answer is really. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif[/img]

Vroom Vroom

Status

I agree, no bling for me either (well, maybe alu mirrors!). The whole S-car philosiphy is to be discreet but be a 'beast' underneath - that's the way I like it and is the reason why I bought an S car.

In the flesh it may look chunkier and have more 'presence', and hopefully better wheels!! I'm sure it'll look a lot more purposeful then.

Also, I'm not a fan of yellow...... Oooops, half the forum hate me now!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

Maybe the answer is to give the owners of lesser models less options ?

There aren't many/any other manufacturers that allow you to upgrade basic models,using factory parts,to the extent that it looks exactly like the top-of-the-range version.

For example,as far as I can tell,you cannot upgrade a basic Golf to look like the Gti,so the Gti retains it's unique and distinct look.

You shouldn't really be able to upgrade your 1.6Fsi so that it looks like a 3.2 S-line,should you ?

Surely it's not unreasonable to refuse certain options on basic models ??

2nd Gear

Status

They are the standard A3 Sport wheels and judging by the narrow width and chunky tread will be snow tyres. Still exactly the same car as any other A3 though apart from the front and rear valences.

I really hope it is a bit more agressive than this when it comes to production though - not OTT but enough to distinguish it from the lesser models, otherwise 1.6 Sport = S3 in a car park.

6th Gear

Status

I wouldn't want the new s3 to look bling - far from it.

However, I do expect it to look PHAT...

I remember a recent thread that discussed the s-line options, and expressed my views there... I even dared to state the pointlessness of the DTM A4 (i think, but if i didn't then, i do now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])...

the upshot of that bun-fight was that if it increased sales, and gave people the choice of options that they demanded, then it was all good.

However, now, we're seeing the real effects of all these S-line models... a boring looking flagship, casue it looks like all the others out there.

clever marketing Audi, but you may just be shooting yourselves in the foot - unless you really dont care about your S and RS enthusiasts.

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't want the new s3 to look bling - far from it.

However, I do expect it to look PHAT...

I remember a recent thread that discussed the s-line options, and expressed my views there... I even dared to state the pointlessness of the DTM A4 (i think, but if i didn't then, i do now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])...

the upshot of that bun-fight was that if it increased sales, and gave people the choice of options that they demanded, then it was all good.

However, now, we're seeing the real effects of all these S-line models... a boring looking flagship, casue it looks like all the others out there.

clever marketing Audi, but you may just be shooting yourselves in the foot - unless you really dont care about your S and RS enthusiasts.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Audi's point of view,they maybe sell more tarted-up base models than S or RS models,so they would use that as their justification.

I don't agree with it like,just saying.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    From Audi's point of view,they maybe sell more tarted-up base models than S or RS models,so they would use that as their justification.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And the real losers are people like me, who own a decently-specified SE. True, I ordered my Sportback on the model's opening weekend when the 2.0TDI SE was reasonably high up in the model range. But thanks to the popularity of S-Line, my car looks like a base model even though it has options like Xenons, Symphony II, DIS and pearlescent paint amongst a few others plus the nice standard SE features (cruise, extra lighting, auto lights/wipers etc).

Convincing potential dealers or buyers come trade-in will be tricky I think (unless I start making some more mods!).

Uber Post Whore

Status

Engine looks good though guys, but this is early days yet.

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    .... I hope those wheels are part of the 'disguise'!!! SURELY they are not the wheels it'll be released with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed alot of new GTIs with wheels pretty similar to those standard A3 Sport ones. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

They are definitely the standard 17's, and they are very similar to the GTI wheels.

I would have hoped it had a few more styling touches. Nothing drastic as I also prefer it to be understated, but my 2.0TDI S-line looks better...IMHO of course.

Where's the brushed metal wing mirrors and couldn't they have flared the wheel arches a little to give it more presence?

Unless of course its just a standard A3 kit with the S3 underneath to test.

1st Gear

Status

To me it looks like a bog standard A3 sport with some S3 badges. I bet this is not what the actual S3 is going to look like and that they are just using a standard body on top of the S3 insides. What better way to disguise a new model than using existing bodywork?

It does look well specced though! Leather, SatNAV, Handsfree. It also looks like the dials are gray (or is that just the flash from the camera?)

5th Gear

Status

Is the current S4 body wider than the A4 shells? Its not a trick question i just genuinely don't know.

If it is the standard shell then maybe this is the new S3 body. I hope so and then i wont have to have one.

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

Yep, S4 body is wider, with flared arches compared to std. A4 range. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

previously LeeS3

Status

that yellow is imola and thats not available so we can assume its the real thing

My yellow s3 had grey dials

Where do I send the deposit?

2nd Gear

Status

Or that they sprayed standard parts in Imola Yellow to put everyone off the scent.

Still all speculation. Won't really know till we see it at the dealers. I would bet on it having adjustments to the wheel arches as per the S4.

4th Gear

Status

Benw123 - I wouldn't worry too much. Whatever colour and model you have, a dealer will tell you it is the wrong one at the time of trade in - either not popular or too popular!

I also have a highly specified SE as you know and the 17" 5 Stars transform the look of it so if you are after a mod, get some 17"s of a reasonable design. Mine also has fogs which add to the look - you could consider that even if only the lenses.

I'm assuming when I eventually sell mine privately, it'll probably be to a private individual with a family so the luxury items of the SE may appeal more than the hard ride of the S-line. The sale will be to a different market that's all. I wanted a softer more luxurious car so chose the SE and am glad I did - have you seen the number of people on TS moaning about the hide ride of their S-Line?

I dare say dealers will favour the S-Line which is why I wouldn't trade in. After 4 - 5 years I'll sell mine privately and don't anticipated any probs as it is high spec.

Reverse Gear

Status

There was an Audi spec sheet posted recently that I emailed to the dealer in Germany where I bought my S3 - he sent it to his Audi contacts - It was a fake as are these pictures. He is positive that there will be no s3 in 2006 and the decision to do one has not been made

I am desperate for another one so it is not what i wnated to hear but he has alwayd been very well informed

6th Gear

Status

AFAIK, that yellow is available already, its not imola, but that lighter, lemon like yellow. I park in the same car-park as one every day.

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    he sent it to his Audi contacts

[/ QUOTE ]

which are? anybody reputable? TBH, the last people to know about a new car release would be the dealers.

New flagship cars are usually the worlds best kept secret until a few details, or picture here and there "accidentally" slip into the media or onto the internet. Then the hype machine starts whirring... and ding!, the cars done...

ofc, i'm not saying that those pictures aren't fake, but theres a helluva lot of work done to that car if it isn't real (like one-off oem looking items)...

Reverse Gear

Status

I hope you are right but I have found he is very reliable over the last 4 years since I started dealing with him
    The dealers in the UK maybe in the dark but he has contacts with the audi design team

2nd Gear

Status

It doesn't look as half as good as S-line A3s with votex kits!

imported_unkle

If its not scheduled to be released until later this year, they are hardly going to put out a finished product at what looks like a snow testing session to get bashed up and photographed by car stalkers are they?.....

(I could be wrong)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

imported_S_Line

Well guys wont be long before we can have another S3 vs 3.6 shoot out !

I was going to get ready for a deposit but it needs to be something special.

Great Heads ups with the spy pic mate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] keeping the S3 hype going till the release [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, S4 body is wider, with flared arches compared to std. A4 range. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt you Japper,but it must be subtle as hell.

If I could figure out how to work my new bleeding mobile I could post pictures of our MD's S4 and a standard A4 side-by-side and I'm damned if I can see any difference around the arches.

Audi's website makes special mention of the front and rear styling of the S4,but it doesn't mention any difference in the actual body/arches either.

No external dims to compare though,unfortunately. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

My dealer said the release of the new S3 has been announced and that Audi Uk were taking 1500 deposits directly.

A week later he left a message to say that he made a mistake and Audi uk were not accepting deposits but his dealership have set up their own deposit scheme for the new S3 and it will be 500 sir. He said to get in now as numbers will be limited like the new RS4.

-Yeah right, what a bozo!

Well i'll happily set up a deposit list for anyone here and gladly sit on your 500 for you and order your new S3 for you.

PM me for my bank details

imported_S_Line

LOL !!!

If its quicker off the mark than my 3.2 Ill have one

Cant see the throttle respnse being any quicker and im sure the 3.2 will leave it standing at the lights 100% of teh time unless the S3 is set to a 5000rpm tickover !

Uber Post Whore

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    AFAIK, that yellow is available already, its not imola, but that lighter, lemon like yellow. I park in the same car-park as one every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah your right, toucan yellow, very pale colour which looks quite wishy washy compared to imola.

previously LeeS3

Status

and I've had an imola (for 3 years) and thats what imola looks like in the dark in photos. It aint that horrible wishy washy yellow thats currently available. Imola is a much richer egg yolk colour!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Benw123 - I wouldn't worry too much. Whatever colour and model you have, a dealer will tell you it is the wrong one at the time of trade in - either not popular or too popular!

I also have a highly specified SE as you know and the 17" 5 Stars transform the look of it so if you are after a mod, get some 17"s of a reasonable design. Mine also has fogs which add to the look - you could consider that even if only the lenses.

[/ QUOTE ]
    An upbeat post, thanks for that! I like those five-star 17s as well, and as you say, with a set of fogs it certainly tidies things up. Like you I'm also planning on keeping the Sportback for several years yet.

1st Gear

Status

trust you've all seen my latest photochop [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

tinka

i want those wheels,replicas are around 600,thats got me thinking, now i know what they look like on the car?.

Uber Post Whore

Status

Nice one LeMan. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    i want those wheels,replicas are around 600,thats got me thinking, now i know what they look like on the car?.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sons Golf Mk4 TDI has "RS6" 19 inch replica wheels, they are SERIOUSLY heavy and also one winter has wrecked them, they are not finished nearly as well as a genuine wheel

Status

You can buy the replica's off ebay from Rochford now for 385 - I love them and want a set on my little motor. Had the tax man not hunted me down and sent me a hefty bill I would have had a set fitted now along with Revo.

Cupra has them fitted to his car and the finish is pretty good.

John - theres a lot of poor replica wheels on the market as well as some decent ones. Perhaps he was just unlucky?

J.

imported_migzy

personally if i'm gonna spend loads of money on a new S3 i want it to look mean as hell and leave everybody on the street saying wow look at that, not look there's another A3.

just my personal opinion.

cheers

migzy

1st Gear

Status

why don't you just buy an RS4 migzy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast