Panel filter pain

sj7272

Reaction score
Just bought a Pipercross to slot(haha) into my MY10 S3, as a cheap quicky(haha) til I get a handle on my mod plan!Just checked out the very good fitting guides on here as when I popped my bonnet, I hadn't clue where to start!I've put panels into every car I've owned since ever and never encountered something so complicated!!I've fitted intake systems less awkward!?Kind of wishing had just waited and bought the cobra intake that comes with a p/cross panel!I now understand why the pics of the engine bays of the cars with CAI's have no cover!The good old learning curve softened my a good forum?!?!

And if your after a good intake mate I have group buy on at the minute with the newly developed CTS Turbo intake. There is a thread about it on this section so go have a look. I have 6 of them being shipped right now so should be here shortly. One of the best finished intakes Ive seen for a long time and my car is running very well with it fitted too.

Reactions: NHN
Hi and cheersI'll have a look but I'm my plan is leaning towards basic filter, exhaust( prob just cb), remap, eibach front springs!?But only had the car since yesterday so could change haha

If you want any bigger power gains then you need to go turbo back with the exhaust, if you plan to mod in stages then a catback limits you to stage 1 only. Its an expensive purchase but probably one of the best you can make to the S3 for extra power to ££ gain :)

Also, I'm lead to believe that basic panel filters don't make much if any difference to an S3. You need an uprated cold air intake system such as the one Brodster mentioned, which i will be buying next year!! Again its a really good cheap(ish) mod for decent gains The TBE & CAI plus a stage 2 map will see some very good gains over stock!

As said above, panel filters are worthless, oem has shown to slow just as or better than aftermarket filters, you need to go uprated for power gains as mentioned, anything else is a waste of money.

Either way, unplug ure MAF sensor and unclip off the turbo side then it just needs a good pull to come off. Then undo the screws to replace the filter.

And again.....panel filters are a waste of money to be honest.

Reactions: LEE69
Is the S3 intake different to the all other models? Changing the panel filter on my was super easy. Couple screws, split apart remove old replace with new, screw back together.

Hi and cheersI'll have a look but I'm my plan is leaning towards basic filter, exhaust( prob just cb), remap, eibach front springs!?But only had the car since yesterday so could change haha
Like the others say, really not worth the money for the filter alone. Get a complete intake with new piping to take advantage of that. The limit on the OEM intake is the piping in the cover and you get rid of that with a new intake.If you are looking for power you would get more with the DP to start with. You could also go for an upgraded HPFP and a remap for stage 1+ and get a lot more power in the middle range. I would go 1+ before stage 2 as the TFSI really need more juice than the OEM pump can deliver once you start modding the car...

Is the S3 intake different to the all other models? Changing the panel filter on my was super easy. Couple screws, split apart remove old replace with new, screw back together.
The TFSI are different from the TDI yes

Like the others say, really not worth the money for the filter alone. Get a complete intake with new piping to take advantage of that. The limit on the OEM intake is the piping in the cover and you get rid of that with a new intake.If you are looking for power you would get more with the DP to start with. You could also go for an upgraded HPFP and a remap for stage 1+ and get a lot more power in the middle range. I would go 1+ before stage 2 as the TFSI really need more juice than the OEM pump can deliver once you start modding the car...
Who offers 1+ remaps? I have seen on stage 2 graphs the mid range power is better than stock/stage 1 but not a huge jump!

Who offers 1+ remaps? I have seen on stage 2 graphs the mid range power is better than stock/stage 1 but not a huge jump!
I know that APR offers that, not sure about others but I would guess there should be some options

Errm I think you mean stage 2+, stage 1 is remap no additional hardware. Stage 2 is intake, exhaust (maybe intercooler) and map, Stage 2+ (revo) Stage 3 (shark) is with HPFP and stage 2 mods.

Errm I think you mean stage 2+, stage 1 is remap no additional hardware. Stage 2 is intake, exhaust (maybe intercooler) and map, Stage 2+ (revo) Stage 3 (shark) is with HPFP and stage 2 mods.
Stage 1 = software onlyStage 1+ = HPFP and softwareStage 2 = DP and softwareStage 2+ = DP, HPFP and softwareIntake will give gains as well and intercooler is a good thing to do but not a required part