Which Satnav to buy

I

imported_fobber

Im thinking of getting myself a Sat Nav for the car. I dont want the Audi fittedone as i want to be able to move it from car to car.

Does anyone use any other one?

Im thinking of the AA Navigator Ultimate.

I'd get the TomTom One, unless you need a long batterly life (remember you can plug it into the cigarette lighter if required) in which case get the TomTom Go 500.

£250 at Argos

I've seen TomTom and it works very well - no wonder it's so popular.

However, although the Audi RNS-E unit is more expensive, and can be tricky to fit and remove if you're not technically-minded, financially it's not all bad. You could resell the RNS-E separately before you sell the car to recoup most of the original outlay. And once in it looks great, plus you've got Bluetooth and TV upgrade options available to add to it.

The reason I'm not a fan of aftermarket sat-nav like TomTom is that one, it doesn't integrate properly with the car and looks a bit daft hanging from the windscreen with suckers, and second, there's been a massive increase in theft - the pondlife see the car adapters and holders, and break-in to try and nab the lot, even if the owner has taken it away with them.

I use Tom Tom on one of my phones, also have co pilot on one too, both work well and you don't leave them in the car - I use a clip on bracket (Attaches to the air vent) and remove when not using

I would prefer to have one that lets you know about traffic jams. Do the tomtoms do that?

yup, and copilot do too, though I guess only when linked to a mobile (Or in a mobile)

I went for this one and it's great!

Holux

Fully portable and uses the most up to date SatNav hardware (Sirf III).
You can load whichever software you want onto it - i went for TomTom5 off ebay. Can't really fault it and you also get the PDA side of it too.

The Holux is the AA Navigator Ultimate under a different name and you have to buy the sw for it. Looks good but with the Nav ultimate i get 3yrs free speed camera and traffic updates.

I use TomTom both in PDA and Phone options..The PDA is bulky but bigger screen. In my last car, Ihook the audio out to superimpose over the radio / CD audio.

Phone option using bluetooth GPS antenna connection means cannot use bluetooth handsfree in the car...damn shame. Otherwise it's a fab nav sys....

Kiksave were doing a nav sys for £100......

I've moaned like mad to the phone manufacturers over the single Bluetooth connection thing, some now work with handsfree and with GPS so they're getting their life in order

Fobber - didn't realise that the AA Navigator was a fully functional PDA with integrated GPS - i stand corrected.
The software cost me less than a tenner.

The Holux and the normal cost of the sw is till cheaper than the AA one. Does it do traffic updates?

And how did you get the software for £10?

Not sure how to activate the traffic updates although there is an option on my version - i think you need a subscription though - give Globalpositioningsystems a call - they should be able to help you out.

I have just sent their link to my home email so i can have a look when i get home.

Thanks for all the ideas

TOM TOM !
1: you can add the speed camera
2: you can add the fixed cameras
3: you can add the places where the speed van are allocated to park
4: you can add Burger Kings and Pizza Huts

5: You can add many different voices including John Cleese /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6: It has a great touch Screen
7: it has Great battery life (about 4 hours) !!!

My old 300 is going strong, i upgraded free of charge to the new version from tom tom site and it still cuts the custard that's not what i can say of any other 4 year old sat nav !!!

Tom Tom is a great product with great support and updates. I have never tried the newer ones as the 300 is just great.

there's just so many people writing mods for the Tom Tom , you can make it what you want it to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had a PDA one also in the olden days 5 years ago. still have it now, it works OK, but it wasn't a Tom Tom and hey guess what, it obsolete now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I stand By companies why provide software updates to keep their products in line, and that's what Tom Tom has provided me with.

Mrs TDI bought me a Tomtom300 for xmas, this product is spot on. I have downloaded the speed cameras and traffic reports so far, all excellent.