Audi A3 help with changing the main headlights

STEVENA3SPORTBACK

Reaction score
can someone please help I have an audi A3 2009 and would like to upgrade the headlight bulbs (not LED) I removed the torque screws one at the top one nearest the wing and the one nearest the radiator, the headlight was loose but I could not remove the headlight, did I miss a torque or does the bumper have to be removed to release the headlight casing ?? all help would be greatly appreciated pictures or video links anything at all :)

You need to remove the bumper in order to get the headlight out, once you take the front bumper off you can see the headlight bracket that the headlight sits on and then its really easy to see how it comes out

the bolt right in the middle of the bumper is very tight at the front of the scuttle panel where the bonnet catch is, I don't want to force it just incase it breaks. would it be a major issue if it did??

The light can be taken out without removing the headlight. On another note, just for the sake of clarity: First click on lights - sidelights, Second click - Dipped beam (what you always use to drive at night), Pull/push stalk - Main Beam (what you flash people with) Remember that! Edit: Why has the "return" function stopped working. I can't break up my text into paragraphs

I've just swapped out the main beam and dipped on my 8p, halogen ones for Ring Xenon Ultimas.

The main beams are easy, ten minute job...

The dipped are a pain in the ***...esp drivers side one. My advice is to remove or loosen the wheel arch lining so you can get your hand to the back of them. Make a really careful note of which way they come out.

Im not particularly practical btw (im more technical) so someone else may have a better idea, but that worked for me.

Last edited:
8p1 and 2 have more space to access the bulbs, there is more than enough space. 8p3 however is tight for space but its definitely still doable without removing the headlight

Hello everyone, new member here.Thought this thread was most relevant to my question. I'm changing both headlight units in my A3 (year 2012) for a set of chrome LED DRL units. These are halogen units with a 'tube' DRL inside each unit running completely round the casing. This is my first modification, and I was wondering if anyone here has done a similar swap out? The supplier told me they are plug-and-play direct replacements, but I'm concerned about wiring issues, warnings on my dashboard etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Andy

Hello everyone, new member here.Thought this thread was most relevant to my question. I'm changing both headlight units in my A3 (year 2012) for a set of chrome LED DRL units. These are halogen units with a 'tube' DRL inside each unit running completely round the casing. This is my first modification, and I was wondering if anyone here has done a similar swap out? The supplier told me they are plug-and-play direct replacements, but I'm concerned about wiring issues, warnings on my dashboard etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Andy

Link us the new light?

Hi again, here's a picture of what the new light should look like. Hope I've uploaded the picture OK.

Attachments

• A3-08-13--.jpg
    A3-08-13--.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 482