Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Cool Audi A3 help with changing the main headlights

can someone please help I have an audi A3 2009 and would like to upgrade the headlight bulbs (not LED) I removed the torque screws one at the top one nearest the wing and the one nearest the radiator, the headlight was loose but I could not remove the headlight, did I miss a torque or does the bumper have to be removed to release the headlight casing ?? all help would be greatly appreciated pictures or video links anything at all

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    You need to remove the bumper in order to get the headlight out, once you take the front bumper off you can see the headlight bracket that the headlight sits on and then its really easy to see how it comes out
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

Reverse Gear

Status
    the bolt right in the middle of the bumper is very tight at the front of the scuttle panel where the bonnet catch is, I don't want to force it just incase it breaks. would it be a major issue if it did??

4th Gear

Status
    The light can be taken out without removing the headlight. On another note, just for the sake of clarity: First click on lights - sidelights, Second click - Dipped beam (what you always use to drive at night), Pull/push stalk - Main Beam (what you flash people with) Remember that! Edit: Why has the "return" function stopped working. I can't break up my text into paragraphs
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've just swapped out the main beam and dipped on my 8p, halogen ones for Ring Xenon Ultimas.

The main beams are easy, ten minute job...

The dipped are a pain in the ass...esp drivers side one. My advice is to remove or loosen the wheel arch lining so you can get your hand to the back of them. Make a really careful note of which way they come out.

Im not particularly practical btw (im more technical) so someone else may have a better idea, but that worked for me.
    Last edited by Madpete; 13th December 2013 at 20:43.

4th Gear

Status
    8p1 and 2 have more space to access the bulbs, there is more than enough space. 8p3 however is tight for space but its definitely still doable without removing the headlight
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hello everyone, new member here.Thought this thread was most relevant to my question. I'm changing both headlight units in my A3 (year 2012) for a set of chrome LED DRL units. These are halogen units with a 'tube' DRL inside each unit running completely round the casing. This is my first modification, and I was wondering if anyone here has done a similar swap out? The supplier told me they are plug-and-play direct replacements, but I'm concerned about wiring issues, warnings on my dashboard etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Andy

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenFortySeven View Post
    Hello everyone, new member here.Thought this thread was most relevant to my question. I'm changing both headlight units in my A3 (year 2012) for a set of chrome LED DRL units. These are halogen units with a 'tube' DRL inside each unit running completely round the casing. This is my first modification, and I was wondering if anyone here has done a similar swap out? The supplier told me they are plug-and-play direct replacements, but I'm concerned about wiring issues, warnings on my dashboard etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Andy
    Link us the new light?
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

Reverse Gear

Status
    I think they are called LTI headlights. I've found some youtube clips of what they should look like. As an individual unit Audi A3 LTI headlights - YouTube What it should look like on car PRESENTATION PHARES LTI POUR AUDI A3 8P - YouTube

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi again, here's a picture of what the new light should look like. Hope I've uploaded the picture OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images