Winter tires and wheels

Raffaz

Reaction score
Hi all,
ive recently bought a 07 2.0tdi sport 170 quattro, i am considering some winter wheels/tires, just a few questions. Are they worth getting? I am getting mixed opinions from friends and colleagues. If you think it is a worthwhile investment then can you point me in the right direction for sizes that i should be looking for in wheels, i can then holefully get a cheap set of winter steels off the bay, and once i have them, then i would appreciate some winter tire recommendations.

if you need more info then let me know.

thanks in advance.

mick

Ive run winters for the past 3 years and wouldnt want to go another winter without them fitted. Even in deepish snow i never got stuck and mine is FWD. equally in the colder temps they proivde better grip and if its lashing down it simply pushes the rain away. I hit several standing water puddles and the car didnt even flinch

16's are the smallest wheels you can fit to clear the front brakes. I bought a set off a fellow member for just over £100 then stuck winter tyres on them :)

Reactions: TonyH38
Cheers for the quick response. Have ya got an a3? What wheels and tires are you running? Im intersted in the actual sizes required, any ibfo would be great. Cheers

mick

Yes i own an A3

wheels are 16 inch. Size is 205/55/16

got a mix of Goodyear and Nokian. The Nokians were part worns and will need replacing next year. The Goodyears are on the front and are supberb. In the snow last year I never once got stuck and that was in snow nearly a foot thick

Cheers, just had a look at mine and i have 4 nokians on, and the tires are 225/45/17 91W. If i get another set of wheels is it just a case of getting 16s or 17s or is there more to it like an offset? Also, what goodyears are you running? Cheers

If you get wheels from an A3 then they will fit without worrying about offsets. You may find they tuck in a little more but i can live wi the looks of that rather than getting stuck!!

cant remember their name; something like Ultragrip?

Heres mine on the 16's

0E3542DC-0785-4C24-9936-745CF14E30F6-34793-000003BE3F05FBF5_zps74184a1d.jpg

Here is my experience with winter tyres. The car as standard is fitted with Pirelli Zero Rosso 225/45 ZR 17 91W. Note the 17" rims. I went and bought normal alu rims and then had fitted 205/55 - 16 Hankook H91 W310. Note they are 16" rims and slightly narrower tyres. Must say I was very impressed. Over ice and snow there was no slippage at all, and she felt very secure. With this particular change from 17" down to 16" (due to the winter tyres being slightly taller) the change in diameter was at best 0.4%. Not enough I believe to have any major impact on speedo readings etc. By the way, I have seen it written that steel rims should not be fitted to a car which is supplied originally with alu rims. Perhaps something to do with the weight of the rims, or perhaps it is the change in spec from standard. I am sure another member will comment if this is true or not. Good luck.

I run Michelin Alpin's on my MK4 golf, very impressed!I just leave them on all year round, it's not exactly a performance machine haha.Got 25k out of the last set on the front so not complaining about that.Don't take the S3 out in the snow for fear of someone crashing into it :-/

I've got Dunlop Wintersport 3D's 205/55x16 which work brilliantly in snow (not had any yet this year though). These were to replace the Pirelli P Zero's on my summer wheels which were 225/45x17. Tend to put them on in November, and take them off in March, and store the unused wheels in the garage.

I only bought them because the first winter I had my Audi, I struggled on any uphill sections of road, and all the roads leading to my house are uphill! Never had any problems last year, even in snow up to about 6" deep (any deeper, and the snow catches on the front bumper/undertrays)

I just go to Audi and get my tyres changed around November and again in March time. They look after my other tyres for me. No wheels to worry about and no tyres to store or mess around with. Superb service, coffee, biscuits, LOL

reviews show that Nokian do some damn good winter tyres for a good price too, especially for a cheapskate like me, I very nearly bought some steelies but they were 15s, glad I didn't now if they don't clear the front brakes!