2.0 TDI Clutch change - now judder/bit of noise on take off

c_w

Reaction score
Oh yes another A3 clutch change problem! I swapped my clutch today as the original one at 130,000miles was slipping (but other than slip in 4th gear upwards it drove fine (clutch pedal was a bit stiff and slight vibration through it, but it otherwise behaved nice, no noise or judder)).

I bought a new SACHS DMF, SACHS Clutch Kit and CSC bearing from EuroCarParts. So the new SACHS stuff was fitted (in place of the old LUK setup that was on the car) and it all went ok - the main faff is getting the gearbox off and back on again. The old LuK flywheel had some play in all directions (3 or 4 tooth radial play, and rocked a fair bit) but gave no noise or obvious problems in the car. It is worth noting that the new SACHS flywheel has one tooth of radial play (appears to be normal looking at youtube videos) and also some rock too, even though it's brand new. I have assessed another brand new SACHS flywheel and it is the same as this.

On the short test drive just now tonight there is noticeable clutch judder on take off in 1st, and if I lift off once drive is up there is a bit of a graunch/knock on and off the power. As though the engine isn't controlled enough, but is it because judder is causing that or the engine is wobbling? Once on the move it drives great. There's no noise when changing gear and in 3rd or higher gears.

The clutch pedal is now a lot smoother and lighter than the old clutch, there's no noise at idle and no change of any kind when the pedal is pressed down or lifted up.

I'm positive I did all the engine mounts up properly. Is the lower "dog bone" bush easily damaged? as I do remember twisting it out of the way at one point before removing it completely from the bush in the subframe.

These cars seem so fickle!! All new clutch stuff should mean a good clutch, no messing about with further issues - I have read so many similar stories where a clutch is changed only for further problems to arise! Even my dad commented on how gruff they are when manouvering at parking speeds. the DMF doesn't seem to do much (and he drives a near 20yr Rover 420 TD on 190,000miles, original clutch, factory single mass flywheel and it's all so smooth and no problems).

Last edited:
Give the clutch a few hundred miles to bed in mate and the judder will disappear.

As above will be due to high spots on the clutch friction surface and it will disappear after a while. Just don't be tempted to try and hurry up the bedding in process by slipping the clutch a lot.
Also did you clean the friction surface on the DMF of any oil etc .

Karl.

Thanks for comments, hopefully it will bed in, just that in the past with other cars their clutches have been good to go from the outset (in that there is no judder evident). The DMF is brand new and cleaned with brake cleaner to degrease after it was mounted on the crank.

To finally update this thread, the clutch bedded in nicely but it took a couple of months and more like 2000 miles or so for me (probably as I'm light on the clutch!).