Rusty Tailpipe!

docdid

Reaction score
Apart from the reference in the profanisaurus!

anybody had any bother with rust on the exhaust pipes. My sportback 3.2 sline is coming up to a year old and has a clear case of rusty barnacles on the twin pipes. Audi CS say it is not covered in the guarantee.

docdid

[ QUOTE ]
Apart from the reference in the profanisaurus!

anybody had any bother with rust on the exhaust pipes. My sportback 3.2 sline is coming up to a year old and has a clear case of rusty barnacles on the twin pipes. Audi CS say it is not covered in the guarantee.

docdid

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell can they say rust on one year old pipes doesn't come under the warranty ?
What mileage have you done ?
Sounds like you got a phone operator who merely looked on a card,saw "exhaust not covered" and left it at that.

By law,everything you buy must last a reasonable time for reasonable use.

I think you need to have a chat with your local dealer warranty manager.

You'll probably find him a damned sight more understanding than some twerp at the end of a phone.

agreed its not good! My pipes (!!) are nice and clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

must admit, mine were looking a bit pish after a couple of months of neglect.

Howerver, Meguiars metal polish to the rescue!!!

Barnacles removed and a marked improvement. When I can sit on the ground without getting farmers I'll have another crack at it.

I'm assuming the tailpipes are coated/plated and are certainly a part of the cosmetic look of the car ?

Like alloys ?

I wouldn't accept alloys that rot in under a year,so I wouldn't expect a cosmetic part of the exhuast to either.

[ QUOTE ]
Exhaust is wear and tear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you work for Audi customer services ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you accept that,that's your lookout but things are rarely as 'black and white' as that and,in this case,I'd be very surprised if a warranty manager didn't agree that rust on a cosmetic part of a 1 year old exhaust is wrong.

I once had a Primera ( I know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) that came with a black painted back box.

The paint started flaking off after a few months,making the rear of the car look untidy.

No problems with the dealer,it shouldn't have happened,so they replaced it no problem at all.

Before this gets out of hand - there's rust and there's rust.. Any chance of a Picture of the Item please before i pass judgement on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif