RNS-E dvd maps to sd card

Paulc33

Reaction score
Hello

I have a RNS-e mk2, which the maps are on a CD or may be DVD, (disc anyway)

I was just wondering if anyone knows how i can transfer these on to a SD Card and use one of the 2 slots for the maps,

I have tried draging the files off the CD on to the SD card but that hasnt worked.

any help would be great as at the moment i can only listen to the radio and not use the nav and CD player,

As far as I know the DVD drive is only for the nav disc, and can't be used as a CD player.

Is this right. I can't find a manual to check the workings of this.
Can only find a mk1 manual.

Half right. It can only be used as a DVD drive for the nav disc and only as a CD player for everything else
I didn't know that, nice one, I'll give a CD a soon later today then. :yes:

Why do you want to transfer it?

RNSE only reads maps from the DVD, no where else. If you're desperate for a CD player get a cd changer fitted.

I thought it also reads from one of the sd card slots....?

As as you can buy maps from audi on sd cards for the rnse.

Hmm I think you're getting confused with the new systems in the newer cars which run on SD cards.

Mine is the latest rns-e mk2 though part number ends in a g.

I also thought these ran from one of the sd card slots?!?
So are these slots just for music then?

No RNSE will run maps from a SD card.

SD only for music!

Solutions -

CD changer
AMI with AMI-> USB lead for a USB stick
SD cards.

Paul, to clear this up a little. The DVD that is used in the RNS-E is a dual-layer media, with a max capacity of 8Gb. The current generation of SD cards have a max capacity of 2Gb. Hence one cannot put the full contents of the map DVD on an SD card. However, the next generation of SD cards, known as SDHC have a max capacity of 32Gb, so I imagine these would be attractive for storing maps when systems are configured to use them. Even larger SD cards, the SDXC versions are said to go up to 2Tb of capacity, but I guess they would be very expensive. I would also think that GPS mapping companies would much prefer some version of an SD card rather than a DVD. The dual-layer DVDs have proven very hard to create, get scratched, have dirty laser lens problems, and perhaps deteriorate over time/heat. Anyway, create your music CD, relax and enjoy

So basically the sd card slots on a mk 2 rns-e are just for music?

the biggest sd card I can use in these are 32gb?

Yes only for music.

MK2's support SDHC so anything I'm guessing. 32gb worked in mine but then I got AMI.