• 1 Post By Jonathaan

Thread: Am I Being Stupid?

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel

Am I Being Stupid?

Hi all,

Had my A3 for around a year and a half now and it's been fine up until a few months ago. Turns out that it needs a fair bit of work on it which will make my bank account sad so I'm thinking about selling up. I've worked out that if I sold up and bought a cheaper run around, I could end up with a good chunk of £ in the bank.

I'm also a bit bored mine at the moment, and with it only being an FSI, there's not much I can do to it to make it faster. Me and my gf are also talking about getting our own place which is a big factor in the decision.

I want to save money, but I don't want a rust bucket that I'm amshamed of so I've been looking at older S3's. Pretty nippy as standard, cheapish to buy and potential there for modding and tuning when money allows.

I know I would miss the refinement of the 8P, as well as my RNSE but I'm dying for something with a bit more umph that isn't massively expensive.

So, the big question .... am I being stupid? What would you do/buy?
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I would .... I mean YOU SHOULD buy one of these

Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8 R 4dr Auto

Then report back to me 6month later. If you aren't bankrupt, I will buy one :-)
    RedDejavu and y2kcurran like this.

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    2.0t 8p is quite nippy with good tuning potential too
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

Status
    Get an "ugly' Edition 30
    Boydie likes this.

Neutral

Status
    How much is a "cheap runaround"

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow R90 STL On Twitter Add R90 STL on Facebook Visit R90 STL's Instagram Channel
    If you are thinking of selling up for a cheap runaround I'd look at polo gtis! Depends what you are looking for but that's what I'd have
    Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 Tdi DSG - Black Audi rings - Private plate - RS3 grill - C Quartz ceramic coating - Stage 1 remap - 50mm H&R Springs - SOLD

MY11​ Imola Yellow S3 - Black Edition - DSG - RNS-E - Sunroof - RS3 grill - H&R 25mm springs - Shark Performance stage 1

1st Gear

Status
    May I suggest a mk iv Golf Gti 1.8T as a cheapish car with potential. The handling may not be go kart like but a stage 1 remap at R-Tech will release the full potential of the engine. A standard 150bhp will go up to about 185 and the standard 180 will do about 210 bhp. However the torque increase is massive and it is the torque that gives the acceleration.
    I had my 150 bhp model done by R-Tech for a live remap costing £250 and it transformed the pulling power. The 150 bhp AGU engines are the strongest.
    Peter

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by autolatry View Post
    I would .... I mean YOU SHOULD buy one of these

Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8 R 4dr Auto

Then report back to me 6month later. If you aren't bankrupt, I will buy one :-)
    I'm only 21, that'd make me look like I was driving around in my grandads car. Not to mention how much I'd be spending on fuel haha.

Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    2.0t 8p is quite nippy with good tuning potential too
    In an ideal world, I'd already have one, but for a decent one I'd be looking at over 6k which is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Get an "ugly' Edition 30
    I don't actually think they're ugly at all, I do think they're a poor mans Audi though . I would have one, but again too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by jord11 View Post
    How much is a "cheap runaround"
    No more than 4k, more around 3.5k.

Quote Originally Posted by R90 STL View Post
    If you are thinking of selling up for a cheap runaround I'd look at polo gtis! Depends what you are looking for but that's what I'd have
    Not keen on Polo's, a bit too small and girly.

Quote Originally Posted by prt57 View Post
    May I suggest a mk iv Golf Gti 1.8T as a cheapish car with potential. The handling may not be go kart like but a stage 1 remap at R-Tech will release the full potential of the engine. A standard 150bhp will go up to about 185 and the standard 180 will do about 210 bhp. However the torque increase is massive and it is the torque that gives the acceleration.
    I had my 150 bhp model done by R-Tech for a live remap costing £250 and it transformed the pulling power. The 150 bhp AGU engines are the strongest.
    Peter
    Not a fan of the older style Golfs, so that rules that out.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Massively swaying towards an 8L S3 due to the price and how nippy they are as standard. Going from 150bhp to 210/220bhp (dependent on what engine I go for) would be a nice step up with the potential for more power when/if money allows.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

Diesel Power!

Status
    Spend more money on yours, that cures boredem

5th Gear

Status
    I sort of wish i'd gone for an 8L S3 and worked to make it bonkers. Mind you, as said above, go for the 2.0TFSI ... thinking man's 8P S3
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathaan View Post
    Spend more money on yours, that cures boredem
    Without spending silly money, which is the opposite of my plan, I can't make mine go much faster. Just fancy something different mate.

Quote Originally Posted by wuta3 View Post
    I sort of wish i'd gone for an 8L S3 and worked to make it bonkers. Mind you, as said above, go for the 2.0TFSI ... thinking man's 8P S3
    In an ideal world, I'd have a 2.0TFSI DSG but its not going to happen in the next few years so may as well get something a bit cheaper which'll put a smile back on my face when I drive it.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport