Having the worst day of my life.... please help...

pwilliamson1991

Reaction score
So I'm having the worst morning ever. Any one from the UK will understand there is a tornado outside today..... So I decided id drive to work and pay for parking. I normally walk. So my car wouldn't start.... and flashed "oil pressure". I knew exactly what it was straight away. I could cry right now ;_;

Went round to see my brother new house on Saturday which is in the middle of no where in the country. So my A3 is lowered... and to cut a long story short my car got beached on a hump on the road. So my sump must have got cracked. Possibly the worst noise I have ever heard reversing my car "off the road" it was stuck on.

So I have to admit I done a lot of driving saturday night and a good bit on sunday. The car was driving fine. It has been sitting un-started since Sunday night until I tried to start it this morning. I tried to start it about 5 times...

So has anyone any idea what damage I am looking at? how bad is this? and the likely cost ...... I'm just hoping my engine is ok :( Its a 05 1.9tdi sportback if that makes any difference...

When I drove it sat night / Sunday there were no lights or anything :(

In a terrible mood in work I should add and hating lowered cars right now lol.

Last edited:
Possibly cracked your sump - check your oil level first and see what state it's at.

Get under the car and see if there is any oily residue on the sump or any obvious cracks. Won't be too expensive to replace.

Yea Boydie, that was the first thing I done. I'm 99% sure its the sump. There is hardly any oil in it at all now... below the minimum on the indicator. I'm really hoping it won't be expensive. I live on the ravinhill road.... considered calling into that garage on it; but I suspect the garages in Belfast will charge me a bomb. I'm prob going to get it recovered and looked at back home where I'm from.

Glad you don't think it will cost much, fingers crossed. Bad time of the year for this to happen. Only had the car lowered less than a month now to....

When you tried to start it,did the engine actually turn over?

The worry is that it's very low on oil,and any further running may cause some serious damage,assuming there isn't any already.

Yea it was turning over every time Alex.... I probably shouldn't have tried so many times. I'm not going to again obviously. Hoping the engine's ok otherwise I know I'll be looking at a lot of money or a write off... :(

Yea Boydie, that was the first thing I done. I'm 99% sure its the sump. There is hardly any oil in it at all now... below the minimum on the indicator. I'm really hoping it won't be expensive. I live on the ravinhill road.... considered calling into that garage on it; but I suspect the garages in Belfast will charge me a bomb. I'm prob going to get it recovered and looked at back home where I'm from.

Glad you don't think it will cost much, fingers crossed. Bad time of the year for this to happen. Only had the car lowered less than a month now to....

Check out Turkington Pitstop - (didn't realise you were belfast)

Welcome to Turkington Pitstop Ltd

Tell Les Boydie sent you :)

Reactions: pwilliamson1991
Yea it was turning over every time Alex.... I probably shouldn't have tried so many times. I'm not going to again obviously. Hoping the engine's ok otherwise I know I'll be looking at a lot of money or a write off... :(

Good luck.

Hope it's all OK.

Reactions: pwilliamson1991
OK so I rang my mechanic and he said to get some oil and put it in it, then to try and start it and see if I can get it going. He said if I can get it started I can drive it to his garage. Anyone any opinions on that? obviously I'll be losing oil as I drive ....

Yeah, get it recovered. No point in risking doing more damage. It may be that the oil drained out since you last drove it? Is there no sign of oil on your drive? Did the low oil level light not come on? Hopefully turning it over won't of damaged anything (I'm assuming it didn't fire?).

Yeah, get it recovered. No point in risking doing more damage. It may be that the oil drained out since you last drove it? Is there no sign of oil on your drive? Did the low oil level light not come on? Hopefully turning it over won't of damaged anything (I'm assuming it didn't fire?).

No low oil light but the dip stick showed it was low!. Yea I think I seen oil under the car, was dark this morning .... "Oil pressure" light came on when I was starting.

Seriously, get it recovered. I cannot believe a mechanic told you to put more oil in it and try and drive there with a suspected cracked sump!!!???

Maybe consider going somewhere else to have it looked at too!

Reactions: wuta3
Seriously, get it recovered. I cannot believe a mechanic told you to put more oil in it and try and drive there with a suspected cracked sump!!!???

Totally agree.

Its very surprising advice.

Reactions: wuta3
If the garage diagnoses catastrophic engine failure tomorrow then today wont be the worst day of your life.
Friday will be....:ninja:

Reactions: autolatry

Yeah, agree 100%. No decent mechanic would advise this. I really feel for you Dude and hope that it's something that can be fixed easily without too much expense and further worry for you. :( Paula xx

Must be stupid low to catch the sump, they sit so high on these cars it's unreal! You should have owned an 8L, you'd know about low slung sumps then!