Edition 30 thoughts

I just need to get out and try one. Christmas break project! Thanks for all the replies though

Interesting thread. I've just sold my 2008 A3 TDI for a 2007 ED30 DSG. What a GOOD move that was.

I'm enjoying having petrol again, it's decent enough on fuel & plenty of power on the right pedal. I'm loving owning a VW, alot cooler in some ways than owning an Audi. I would say the build quality is near enough on par with the Audi being a little better. Loving the Cabin in the MK5 though, the RNS 510 is light years ahead of the RNSE and makes me realise how bad it was. The one I've bought has had a Stage 1 Remap, its running around 275bhp. It will receive Shark Stage 3 treatment next year so aiming for around the 360bhp mark.

It's a catch 22 with 4WD/FWD. On one hand you have more grip, and better traction with 4WD, but you have added weight and drivetrain loss to go with it. Same as FWD has less traction, but less weight so once it's rolling in the dry it will be very quick. Saw a video recently of a Stage 2 + Rocco R vs a Stage 2 + Golf R & the Rocco left the Golf behind.

So overall I'm very happy with my purchase. ED30's go from around £9-£14k depending on condition & mileage. They're limited to 2500 so they will hold their value well depending on how they are looked after.

I don't miss the Audi at all tbh.

Good darts.
Always had a soft spot for the MK5 Gti, in particular the ED30.

Cool car:icon_thumright:

Reactions: N8
If your after grip off the lights and better grip on a track then 4wd.

I think the golf drives a lot nicer and feels effortless but think the s3 (sportback) looks better.

If its just for everyday use then wouldn't worry about weather it's 4wd or not , you be surprised how many people have 4wd and dont really know how to drive them and they end up coming off the throttle way to early on corners and you end up flying by In your fwd.

I personally like rear wheel drive, a lot more fun and actually feels like your driving the car rather than the car driving you.

A long shot but if you have patients and really want 4WD then keep saving and go for the RS4. Drives so much better.

Try one and you'll see what I mean.

Having so many people come forward and say the Ed30 is good on an Audi forum speaks volumes in my mind. I'm not a traffic light dragster in any case... Much more likely to open her up on a good B road or to overtake. Quite excited about trying a dsg box out for the first time too.

Cheers,

Dan