AH FabricationsSky Insurance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mjr901
  • 1 Post By mjr901

Thread: Oil low indicator - just top oil up?

1st Gear

Status

Oil low indicator - just top oil up?

I have owned my audi since October, it is the 1.8 TFSI model. The oil was last changed by Audi in the service at 27k miles, that was in February. Today the oil low light came on, I guess I only need to top it up but I would like to buy the same oil that was used in the service. Am I right to get Castrol (as the oil cap is branded) or is it not a good idea to just top it up? I didn't want to mix two types of oil but equally I don't want to change the oil now if a service is coming up. I don't know what my service schedule is, I am just waiting for the indicator to tell me to have it done as I was led to believe that's how it works on these cars.

thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47UK View Post
    I have owned my audi since October, it is the 1.8 TFSI model. The oil was last changed by Audi in the service at 27k miles, that was in February. Today the oil low light came on, I guess I only need to top it up but I would like to buy the same oil that was used in the service. Am I right to get Castrol (as the oil cap is branded) or is it not a good idea to just top it up? I didn't want to mix two types of oil but equally I don't want to change the oil now if a service is coming up. I don't know what my service schedule is, I am just waiting for the indicator to tell me to have it done as I was led to believe that's how it works on these cars.

thanks
    You can use any 5w/30 504.00/507.00 compliant oil.

Whether you want use Castrol, Helix or Quantum for example, it's up to you, but they are all the same.
    AK47UK likes this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks, so it doesn't matter which brand I use to top up my oil as long as it's a good brand? I didn't want to mix two together if it was going to cause a problem but I couldn't see a reason for a problem if good quality oil of the right spec was used. I am on the long life servicing.

Status
    Thanks, so it doesn't matter which brand I use to top up my oil as long as it's a good brand? I didn't want to mix two together if it was going to cause a problem but I couldn't see a reason for a problem if good quality oil of the right spec was used. I am on the long life servicing.
    It can be literally any brand you like, but make sure it says 5w30 and importantly 504.00/507.00 specification.

Mixing different branded oils will not matter one bit, as they will be exactly the same grade.
    AK47UK likes this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for that, I will probably be using Castrol (unless another top brand is significantly cheaper) but will ensure it is to the Audi spec

1st Gear

Status
    I have 4 litres of Castol Edge 5w30 coming, was £31 after delivery so decent deal. Petronas was slightly cheaper but for a few quid thought I'd stick with that the oil cap has on it even if Audi probably used cheaper stuff :D

Status
    I have 4 litres of Castol Edge 5w30 coming, was £31 after delivery so decent deal. Petronas was slightly cheaper but for a few quid thought I'd stick with that the oil cap has on it even if Audi probably used cheaper stuff :D
    If i'd have known you were going to buy from the internet i could have sent you 5L of Castrol out for £25!!

1st Gear

Status
    Didn't realise that I thought carparts4less plus a 5% discount was going to be my best bet as Halfrauds are selling it for over £40. Good to know for next time I guess

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    If i'd have known you were going to buy from the internet i could have sent you 5L of Castrol out for £25!!
    Can you still do this bud? Need 5 litres of oil! PM ME!