2009 A3 Tdi Sportback Quattro - auxiliary water pump problems.

Tiger-G

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a fault code for my auxiliary water pump and would like to change it myself as I'm a pretty competent mechanic. Problem is I can't find any info on how to do it on the internet. Bought a copy of Elsawin thinking that would help, but I can't find the "how to" on there either ??

Anyroadup...........Please can someone tell me if it's at the front or back of the engine, and what I need to remove to get to it ?? From the bits and bobs of info I've gathered, it's underneath the intake manifold ??

I would have thought there'd be a "how to" on this, but I'm ******** if I can find one ??

Many thanks in advance for any info,
Graeme.

Hi Marshy,

Thanks for the info. I think the one on mine is a bit longer and skinnier, but at least I know which bit of the engine bay to look in, lol !!

It's gonna be a ****** to get to. Looks like an inlet manifold off job :-(

Is your car a 170bhp?
If it is it should be like this.
I've replaced a few of these on various vw/audi and seats and they're all in the same place and easy to do.
Never needed to touch the inlet manifold on any.
If you take your undertray off take a picture of it and post it here.
Cheers

Yeah, it's the 170bhp. I'll whip the undertray off and have a butchers, cause I can't see it from the top ??

Cheers :)

Here's a pic. Is this it ??

Anyone know if Audi are calling the axiliary water pump in Elsawin the: "Pump for exhaust gas recirculation cooler -V400" ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's easily accessable. First thing you notice at the front of the engine underneath. Three main hex bolts on a bracket.

Damn, didn't think to get a get a part number !! From the pic I can make out: 0816 09 T C84 (I think ??)

That's got to be it. I'll get a part no off it tomorrow when it's light. Looks a doddle to change, now I can see it on Elsawin. They're calling it the "Pump for exhaust gas recirculation cooler -V400" which sounds about right.

Thanks Marshy, take the rest of the day off and I've bought you a virtual beer :)

No problem mate.
That beer was great!!
The part number should begin with 5N0
If it's the same as the one I listed save yourself £50 on dealer price and buy from them.
Great service I recieved.

From the pic the part No is 5N0 965 56...... so it might be the one. It's a CBBB

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Glad you enjoyed the beer and thanks again :)

When mine went faulty I done loads of research and it was a pretty common failure on 2009 cars.
Must've been a bad batch I think.

Just an update to this thread:

I fitted the new aux water pump today, and it would have been an almost impossible task to do it the way Audi advise in Elsawin. They say you should take the plastic air hose off that goes from the intercooler to turbo (I think ??), so you can get to the aux water pump bracket bolt behind it. The top torx bolt on the hose is so well hidden and inaccessible, it was impossible to get to it. And you can't get to the aux water pump bracket bolt either.

I could feel the anger and frustration of modern engine bays starting to build. :banghead:

So I had a think.........a cup of coffee and an orange club...........and another think ?? :whistle2:

And it came to me................ :idea:

I decided just to unscrew the three little torx bolts on the aux pump itself and leave the supporting bracket in place. Now this is the tricky bit !! One of the bolt heads is almost on the plastic air pipe itself, so impossible to get a torx bit in to losen it. So I used to a pair of pliers or mole grips to grip the bolt and just turned it like that. It's not on tight and came off relatively easily. Then it's just a case of clamping off the two water hoses, remove the electrical connection and off it comes.

Replacement is just the opposite. You could probably leave the hard to unscrew bolt off and it wouldn't effect operation, or you could just use a pair of pliers again to tighten it. Don't overtighten as the bolts snap easily in the pump (don't ask !!).

And finally, as Marshy said, don't spend a fortune on a dealer supplied pump for £140, get one off Ebay from Germany for £80. Cheers for that one Marshy :thumbsup:

I'll do a proper "How to" for this at some stage with pics to help the next unfortunate one with a duff aux water pump !!

Just an update to this thread:

I fitted the new aux water pump today, and it would have been an almost impossible task to do it the way Audi advise in Elsawin. They say you should take the plastic air hose off that goes from the intercooler to turbo (I think ??), so you can get to the aux water pump bracket bolt behind it. The top torx bolt on the hose is so well hidden and inaccessible, it was impossible to get to it. And you can't get to the aux water pump bracket bolt either.

I could feel the anger and frustration of modern engine bays starting to build. :banghead:

So I had a think.........a cup of coffee and an orange club...........and another think ?? :whistle2:

And it came to me................ :idea:

I decided just to unscrew the three little torx bolts on the aux pump itself and leave the supporting bracket in place. Now this is the tricky bit !! One of the bolt heads is almost on the plastic air pipe itself, so impossible to get a torx bit in to losen it. So I used to a pair of pliers or mole grips to grip the bolt and just turned it like that. It's not on tight and came off relatively easily. Then it's just a case of clamping off the two water hoses, remove the electrical connection and off it comes.

Replacement is just the opposite. You could probably leave the hard to unscrew bolt off and it wouldn't effect operation, or you could just use a pair of pliers again to tighten it. Don't overtighten as the bolts snap easily in the pump (don't ask !!).

And finally, as Marshy said, don't spend a fortune on a dealer supplied pump for £140, get one off Ebay from Germany for £80. Cheers for that one Marshy :thumbsup:

I'll do a proper "How to" for this at some stage with pics to help the next unfortunate one with a duff aux water pump !!

I'm about to do this myself this weekend! I really appreciate your write up on it, any other advice/tips you could lend me? I'm still shopping around for a pump and a water pump wrench which im guessing was needed right? It's AST Tool # VAG1590

From the pic the part No is 5N0 965 56...... so it might be the one. It's a CBBB

nice to see another CBBB engine on here. off topic but have you had any trouble with oil pump hex drive becoming round and not pumping oil properly? some people have had major issues with it so just thought i would bring to your attention.

if you've fixed it, what did you do?

I'm about to do this myself this weekend! I really appreciate your write up on it, any other advice/tips you could lend me? I'm still shopping around for a pump and a water pump wrench which im guessing was needed right? It's AST Tool # VAG1590

Hi,

Just reading back through how I did it, there's nothing really to add. It is an electrically powered water pump though, so no need for a water pump wrench. Might be a different matter if it's your main water pump ??

As it says in my post, two of the little torx bolts are accessable and come out easily. Use a set of mole grips on the inaccessable one to get it turning. I made the mistake of wanting to see how far you could screw the bolts into the pump before I put it back on, and unfortunately snapped one of the bolts in the pump, so be careful how much you torque them up. They are quite low torgue. When you put the new pump on, you would probably get away with securing it with just two of the torx bolts, but there's no reason why you shouldn't have a go at tightening the inaccessable one up to with some grips.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. ;)

Update to this thread for others who may have the problem in the future:-
I had the yellow emissions warning light coming on periodically. The car did not go into "limp" mode. Using the Carista App I was getting code P261A additional cooling pump B control circuit/open.

OE item (dual branded VAG and Pierburg) not in stock at my nearest dealer - £150.74 :sadlike:

Identical Pierburg item via Carparts4less (VAG logo scratched out :redface new:) £101.22 including all their promotion/discount codes. :yahoo:

I've had several differing accounts of what this pump actually does in a TDI, the most likely being that it pumps coolant around the EGR system.

IMG 20170510 155226 IMG 20170512 203431

Last edited: