How good is the DSG box?

cjmcgrath

Reaction score
Really eager to get an A3 3.2 v6 beast but a lot of them have the DSG box. More of a manual kind of guy but with the current choice in the market do I go for it or just wait for the right manual to come up?

Cheers

Only ever heard good things about DSG, never heard anyone say they dislike it.

One way to find out if you prefer it over a manual though, and that's to drive one.

Not driven one yet. Intend of going to look at one this weekend and see what the script is.

yeah I think thats a good idea otherwise you can't be completely sure you are a manual kind of guy :p

Depends on how you drive and how you want to drive, personally I love it.
Its smooth and responsive (after a remap) and makes driving so much easier.

I'm a week in, bought mine last Friday and I LOVE it. Never had an auto before and it's such a breeze. Feel so relaxed whilst driving for once! :) Mine has the paddleshift on the wheel and I'm not sure id like it half as much if it didn't! Get the paddleshift :)

I've driven automatics before for my work but they were slow things to change gear and seemed to be unwilling to change gear when I wanted. I know you can put the DSG into manual so that problem is pretty much solved. I do a lot of driving many miles on country roads and a lot of them are spirited shall we say and want the response

I had a passat cc diesel dsg (ok I know, different engine) but I didn't really like it.

Dont get get me wrong, dsg transmission is a thing of beauty, and flies through gears but when I wasn't on the power, setting off was jerky at times, town driving was annoying because in auto it was indecisive and slow to respond. And unless you were in manual or sport it was always in the wrong gear at the wrong time.

The good thing though is they are supposed to be better on fuel, and in the case of the passat I think they were cheaper to tax but quicker than the manual version. However, I've gone back to manual with my second car. My main work car is a proper torque converter slush box and is much smoother in most situations. I can't say I didn't enjoy the dsg though. When you wanted to drive it hard, it's like no other transmission. None of this clutch business. Just gets up and goes.

On another note, aren't dsg boxes 4 grand a pop? I didn't want to risk it with it being out of warranty...

as above, try one first :)

Reactions: Sevv
one word to sum it up - AWESOME

would want a car with a different transmissions.

DSG learns your driving style and adapts. However, you have to learn to drive a DSG. once mastered, you really wouldnt want to go back to a manual. At first, i found it jerky and un responsive, but you have to take control, now I can lift off the accelerator for it to change gear at higher speeds and keep it revving for longer. you just have to master it.

DSG is a defo. cant imagine life without it and wouldnt go to a manual unless it was a weekend car

*WOULDNT want a car with a different transmission*

one word to sum it up - AWESOME

would want a car with a different transmissions.

DSG learns your driving style and adapts. However, you have to learn to drive a DSG. once mastered, you really wouldnt want to go back to a manual. At first, i found it jerky and un responsive, but you have to take control, now I can lift off the accelerator for it to change gear at higher speeds and keep it revving for longer. you just have to master it.

DSG is a defo. cant imagine life without it and wouldnt go to a manual unless it was a weekend car

Ive had mine for 2 months now, i have an S3 and i love it. Like a few have said it learns how you drive and adapts to it, when i push my foot down all the way to the kick down switch in D (not activating it) it revs right to the redline like it would in sport and changes up, but likewise if i just pinch the throttle to move away at a set of traffic lights it smoothly changes all the way to 6th. It doesn't ever seem jerky, unresponsive or seldom in the wrong gear, if it is it changes down rather quickly, quicker than i could with a clutch!

I've driven one for a day and thought it was very good. Really easy to drive in town, nice and smooth and can be put in "manual" mode if needed.

I've driven automatics before for my work but they were slow things to change gear and seemed to be unwilling to change gear when I wanted. I know you can put the DSG into manual so that problem is pretty much solved. I do a lot of driving many miles on country roads and a lot of them are spirited shall we say and want the response
If you're going to be doing spirited driving on Country Lanes, you might want to reconsider buying a 3.2 as they're nose heavy & more suited to cruising motorways. A 2.0T Quattro would probably serve you better than a 3.2.

Had my 3.2 DSG since October and it's great. Driven (old) BMW and Merc autos before, but the DSG is much, much better. The F1 flappy paddles add a bit of flexibility too.

only one way to tell and thats to drive it and see if you like it its all down to preference !

Did shark map your box? How much was it & what are the differences pal?

I had a passat cc diesel dsg (ok I know, different engine) but I didn't really like it.

Dont get get me wrong, dsg transmission is a thing of beauty, and flies through gears but when I wasn't on the power, setting off was jerky at times, town driving was annoying because in auto it was indecisive and slow to respond. And unless you were in manual or sport it was always in the wrong gear at the wrong time.

The good thing though is they are supposed to be better on fuel, and in the case of the passat I think they were cheaper to tax but quicker than the manual version. However, I've gone back to manual with my second car. My main work car is a proper torque converter slush box and is much smoother in most situations. I can't say I didn't enjoy the dsg though. When you wanted to drive it hard, it's like no other transmission. None of this clutch business. Just gets up and goes.

On another note, aren't dsg boxes 4 grand a pop? I didn't want to risk it with it being out of warranty...

as above, try one first :)

try one mate, not sure but in Australia they are problematic, had a friend drive off in a Golf R out of the dealership (brand new) and the box ****ted itself, besides that as Rrobson said they are really expensive to fix if they go bad, you also need to think of what you want to do to the car i dont think they can handle more then 450hp and the wear and tear becomes great, with sticking clutch plates and the sort.i rather manual as the safer and cheaper option not to mention you can control the car better.. some may agree and some may not.

i know in Oz. VAG car sales have been affected slightly due to the DSG box so we try to steer clear of them nowadays. yes the gear changes are quick but its man vs machine .. and yes in the drags they are probably 1 - 0.5 seconds quicker but is it worth the risk ?

Rule 1 - don't ever drive it in D (or even S) mode as they take control away from you - took me 3 months to adapt but would find it difficult to go back to manual now.

Rule 2 - learn to use the paddles (you might need to use the stick when exiting a tight junction to pop it into second though).

Rule 3 - make sure it's been serviced at the specified intervals.

Rule 4 - make sure it's been serviced at the specified intervals!!!

Rule 1 - don't ever drive it in D (or even S) mode as they take control away from you

Then why buy one? It's the clutch that gives you the 'idea' that you are in 'control'!
You can make it do what you want with the throttle when it's in D or S. Much more skill needed. :yes:

Service required every 40K miles to change the oil and filter. Not cheap so factor that in. Very expensive when they go wrong like most automatic boxes. In years to come people will not be servicing these correctly because of the costs so buying second hand I think will be a minefield. They really have to have the correct oil and it needs to be clean and in good condition.

Karl.

Then why buy one? It's the clutch that gives you the 'idea' that you are in 'control'!
You can make it do what you want with the throttle when it's in D or S. Much more skill needed. :yes:

You have no control or the gear selection in either of these modes - you need to put in in 'M' and it won't hunt for gears (unless you activate kick-down).

In 'D' it will change up far too early and you will be caught off-boost. I only use this mode if I'm stuck in heavy traffic.

You have no control or the gear selection in either of these modes - you need to put in in 'M' and it won't hunt for gears (unless you activate kick-down).

In 'D' it will change up far too early and you will be caught off-boost. I only use this mode if I'm stuck in heavy traffic.
:wtf: are you saying man?

You can use the paddles in D & S to change gear just as well as in M with the same full throttle result, but when you don't use them for a few (maybe 10 or so) seconds it reverts back to full auto mode by itself.