Cigarette lighter/charger problem

Cjt1975

Reaction score
Hi,cigarette lighter in my 2004 a3 has stopped working.have changed fuse and brought a new lighter unit.still not working.light comes on round it when headlights go on.have also checked charger leads in other cars.they work fine.anyone have anymore ideas??

thanks
chris

Broken relay, wire or bad connector connection somewhere.
Or perhaps the ECU has switched off the supply power.

What relay would I need to check? Would the ecu do that if there was a problem?

usually its just the fuse, you say you changed it but there are 2 fuse locations for the cig lighter. have a good look on the panel that covers the fuse box for the other location

usually its just the fuse, you say you changed it but there are 2 fuse locations for the cig lighter. have a good look on the panel that covers the fuse box for the other location

what he said. Make sure u check all the fuses properly.

Make sure you check F24 = 20A in the cabin fuse box. Other than that it may be that the cig lighter contacts inside the cig lighter unit are not making a good contact. They may have been bent.

Have checked 24 fuse in the panel by drivers door(and replaced) where else should I be looking?

You will have to look very closely at the cig lighter itself, even if it is a new unit, to see if the contacts inside are making proper contact with your plug. I have found in the past that there are several mechanical (dimension) standards for cig lighters and sometimes the plugs just don't fit well enough. Had this problem with an LED torch that did not fit in properly, and would not charge. Perhaps you could try a voltmeter, and see if indeed there is any 12 volts showing up inside the cig lighter. If not it would point to a wiring problem (break, bad contact, disconnection etc). All I can think of. Good luck.

Will have a look in the morning see if I can see anything obvious with the lighter itself.thanks all go the replies.