Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By c_w
  • 2 Post By kwistof
  • 1 Post By c_w
  • 1 Post By N8
  • 1 Post By A3Kent

Thread: New Front Rubber Needed

  1. #1
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065

    New Front Rubber Needed

    I'm a little bit clueless when it comes to tyres and what to get.

    At the moment i've got Pirelli PZero Rosso 225/40 R18 92Y XL TL all round and have tended to just get like for like when I need too.

    Looking at Camskill i've been looking at the fuel effieciency rating, wet grip and noise rating and notice that mine aren't that great when it comes to fuel efficiency or noise rating so I thought i'd look and see what else there is.

    So I came across the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 225/40 R18 92W XL FP TL as it was about £7 cheaper per tyre than the Pirelli, and the ratings on all 3 areas are much better than the Pirelli. My only concern is that the Speed Rating is W, as apposed to Y. Is this a problem? Is this tyre any good?

    Thanks
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Kent View Post
    I'm a little bit clueless when it comes to tyres and what to get.

    At the moment i've got Pirelli PZero Rosso 225/40 R18 92Y XL TL all round and have tended to just get like for like when I need too.

    Looking at Camskill i've been looking at the fuel effieciency rating, wet grip and noise rating and notice that mine aren't that great when it comes to fuel efficiency or noise rating so I thought i'd look and see what else there is.

    So I came across the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 225/40 R18 92W XL FP TL as it was about £7 cheaper per tyre than the Pirelli, and the ratings on all 3 areas are much better than the Pirelli. My only concern is that the Speed Rating is W, as apposed to Y. Is this a problem? Is this tyre any good?

    Thanks
    I can't speak exactly for the "Performance" variant but I have the EfficientGrip on mine all round - this tyre is Goodyear's low rolling resistance tyre, it also has softer sidewalls. Its aim is to be long wearing, high fuel efficiency and quieter tyre. PZero Rosso is obviously a more performance tyre.

    They seem to grip quite well in all conditions, but I don't drive the car hard, but dry grip and handling will probably feel softer than say the Rosso, or the Goodyear F1.
    A3Kent likes this.

  4. #3
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Appreciate this, thanks. How long have you been running the EfficientGrip and what's your wear level like in that time?
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

  5. #4
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Anyone got any further thoughts on the EfficientGrips?

    Will having a W speed rated tyre matter when i'm currently running Y's?
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

  6. #5
    kwistof's Avatar
    South East Events Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SE Kent
    Posts
    2,266

    My Social Networking

    Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Kent View Post
    Anyone got any further thoughts on the EfficientGrips?

    Will having a W speed rated tyre matter when i'm currently running Y's?
    Yes, my thoughts are buy these for 65p each more per corner! (no brainer)

    Goodyear Tyres / Car / Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - 225/40 R18 92Y XL FP TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40R18

    I found the Pirelli Pzero Rosso and Nero both shocking tyres after the first mm or 2 had worn down. The F1s Assy 2s will be more than up to the job and as you can see they are XL and 92Y rated

    #closethread
    A3Kent and wuta3 like this.
    2000 S3 APY

    18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

  7. #6
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,061
    I would agree the F1 Assy 1 & 2 are brilliant tyres wet or dry, I have them on my BMW; wear rate is great for a top end tyre, quiet and comfortable too.

    On the A3 I bought it with 2 Efficient Grips fitted, so got another pair to match as I always run matching tyres. I also figured that I wanted to try and reduce the A3s sometimes unusual high tyre noise so went with these. The wear seems pretty good but it's not as good as the wear rating figure on the sidewall suggests (think its 340), where an F1 might be 220 or something (guessing here). You wouldn't get 50% longer life from the EfficientGrip for example. But the EfficientGrips do seem a good tyre for what they are, but it's definintely more comfort orientated.

    I wouldn't get too hung up on the speed rating - a W rating is fine for the A3 (it is 168mph!).

    For their performance the F1 Assy are a bargain. I prefer them over much more expensive competitiors from Michelin, Continentl, Pirelli etc.
    A3Kent likes this.

  8. #7
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by kwistof View Post
    Yes, my thoughts are buy these for 65p each more per corner! (no brainer)

    Goodyear Tyres / Car / Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - 225/40 R18 92Y XL FP TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40R18

    I found the Pirelli Pzero Rosso and Nero both shocking tyres after the first mm or 2 had worn down. The F1s Assy 2s will be more than up to the job and as you can see they are XL and 92Y rated

    #closethread
    That's the kind of decisive post i've been looking for. 2 x Eagle F1's it is! Thanks
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

  9. #8
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    I would agree the F1 Assy 1 & 2 are brilliant tyres wet or dry, I have them on my BMW; wear rate is great for a top end tyre, quiet and comfortable too.

    On the A3 I bought it with 2 Efficient Grips fitted, so got another pair to match as I always run matching tyres. I also figured that I wanted to try and reduce the A3s sometimes unusual high tyre noise so went with these. The wear seems pretty good but it's not as good as the wear rating figure on the sidewall suggests (think its 340), where an F1 might be 220 or something (guessing here). You wouldn't get 50% longer life from the EfficientGrip for example. But the EfficientGrips do seem a good tyre for what they are, but it's definintely more comfort orientated.

    I wouldn't get too hung up on the speed rating - a W rating is fine for the A3 (it is 168mph!).

    For their performance the F1 Assy are a bargain. I prefer them over much more expensive competitiors from Michelin, Continentl, Pirelli etc.
    Thanks c_w, with you backing up Kwistof's post it's going to be the F1's. Thanks
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

  10. #9
    J8TT X's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    337
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

    2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

  11. #10
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    561
    These tyre ratings are crap.

    Eagle F1A2s are very good, can't go wrong.

  12. #11
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,133

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I've just ordered 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1's from lovetyres.com - great price!

  13. #12
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Good spot N8, that'll save me another 8 or so quid. Thanks
    Last edited by A3Kent; 30th November 2013 at 10:50.
    N8 likes this.
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

  14. #13
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Right, a pair of Goodyear F1's have been ordered from lovetyres.com

    What should I expect to pay to get them fitted to the car? (balancing and tyre recycling) £10 per corner?
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

  15. #14
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,133

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Some places may charge £15, but I would aim for £10 a corner.

  16. #15
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Yep, called a fair few tyre fitters and £15 was the going rate, until I tried ATS and they will do it for £12 per corner
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Gtting a new front arb, do i need any other bits?
    By salisbury1985 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th February 2013, 20:00
  2. need a new front offside wing?
    By MR B A3 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th September 2011, 22:42
  3. New rubber needed - but from where...?
    By stevieboy in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th October 2006, 19:01
  4. Want to chip new S3 but need help....
    By imported_ashs3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 30th September 2004, 13:13
  5. New User - help needed
    By markt in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th December 2003, 13:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO