2010 Sportback 1.4TFSI Reverse Judder Problem

glaa3

Reaction score
Been a long time lurker but first post from myself after recently buying my A3. Found the site very useful so far!

Absolutely chuffed with everything about the car apart from every time I try to reverse the car will judder pretty violently. No matter how gentle or careful I am with the clutch this always seems to happen. Once the car has picked up a bit of speed the judder stops - very strange.

Has anyone else experienced similar? Or can anyone offer any ideas/ advice as to what the cause or a solution could be? I'm quite sure this isn't normal. The clutch also seems to bite quite high up in its range of travel.

Car is a 2010 1.4TFSI Sport , Sportback with 31k on the clock. Any help much appreciated.

Manual or auto? Tbh I've come from a diesel to a petrol and noticed that I have to use the accelerator when reversing and not just the clutch like I did on the diesel, diesel would even go uphill in reverse without using the accelerator!

Manual or auto? Tbh I've come from a diesel to a petrol and noticed that I have to use the accelerator when reversing and not just the clutch like I did on the diesel, diesel would even go uphill in reverse without using the accelerator!

Its a Manual. Been driving petrol cars for the past 5 years and never experienced this.

Perhaps clutch plate needs adjusting

Forgive my ignorance but I was under the impression that the clutch was self adjusting? Is there any way of checking/assessing how worn the clutch without dismantling it all?

Was out driving earlier and played around with the car to see if the clutch was slipping at all and got absolutely no indication that it was.

Took the car back to the garage I bought it from (not an Audi dealer unfortunately) the other day demonstrated the judder/ rattle to their mechanic who agreed it didn't sound normal. Garage spent all day looking over the car but were unable to find anything abnormal so said I should "just assume it's a characteristic of the car", not particularly happy with that.

I've since also noticed when driving that when you change up a gear and release the clutch there is a short squeak that definitely isn't coming from the pedal itself.

Does anyone have any ideas what my problems could be? Looking increasingly likely that it'll have to be a trip to the Audi dealer for me that I really could do without.