New 2007 S3 is great but audio connectivity a disappointment. Suggestions welcome?

burtracoon

Reaction score
Having just swapped my wifes Mk1 TT roadster for a 2007 S3. I am delighted with the car in all aspects bar one, the Audis audio connectivity. I am used to latter generation vehicles now which are USB, SD or Ipod compatible and give you access to your whole collection on the move.

The car is well specc'd with RNSE, bluetooth, factory ipod dock and Bose. Unfortunately the RNSE is an early CD/TV that will only except small SD cards and the ipod dock may aswell go in the bin for the use it is.

I have been reading the various posts but have got a little confussed so have few questions.

Will any of the aftermarket adaptors such as connects2, X-caraudio or Dension allow track and artist selection via the RNSE mk1 or are they just controlled by the ipod?

I'd like to find a solution that gives functionality but doesn't break the bank. Recommendations for my setup would be much appreciated.

Not 100% sure if it's possible with the MK1 RNSE but if it is I would just go for a AUX port, cost about £35 iirc and you can fit it yourself.

Or you could sell the MK1 RNSE and buy a MK2, it is a bit of hassle but maybe worth it for the SD slots.

It's definitely an option but would really like some form of Ipod or other storage interface.

I'm in the same boat as u and there is no real solution. There is the alpine kce-425i if u can find it but its kind of old now and with all the lightning stuff coming out theres not much point. MK2 RNS-E is the one to go for with the AMI, otherwise go buy urself a bunch of 4gb SD cards, they can't be SDHC tho.

May aswell just sell up then, or find somebody who is willing to swap + cash.

I've got the rnse mk1 and find 8gb of mp3 more than enough.... plenty of albums on that... but I know what you mean... I have about 70gb of music on my pc... but too much choice would just burst my brain.... but i've also got the 6cd changer in the glove box if all else fails

I have also just bought a 2007 S3 and have the exact same problem. The ipod adapter in the glove box may as well not be there, a 6 CD changer would be more useful. I have just bought 3 x 4gb SD cards and have found filling them with music is more than enough choice. Although the way the rnse organises the track does annoy me but it is definitely a solution for now.

TBH the best solution is mk2 which gives you sdhc slots with 32GB in each, however if you want just to use your apple device for everything for convenience, then mk2 with ami is your best bet.

We do a part ex on mk1's with a mk2 supply/fit if interested.

I have also just bought a 2007 S3 and have the exact same problem. The ipod adapter in the glove box may as well not be there, a 6 CD changer would be more useful. I have just bought 3 x 4gb SD cards and have found filling them with music is more than enough choice. Although the way the rnse organises the track does annoy me but it is definitely a solution for now.

My tracks are aligned fine... think it all depends on what way you number them from the computer... mine however doesnt play some albums, which is strange and there are also some tracks missing from albums that it does

Just ordered 3 sd cards from Amazon so that should cover things for a while. At least 4gb cards are cheap.

My tracks are aligned fine... think it all depends on what way you number them from the computer... mine however doesnt play some albums, which is strange and there are also some tracks missing from albums that it does

Yeah I realised this as soon as I put the card in after spending a while putting the music on them. A lot of the tracks are named with number first so it plays all the 1s then 2s etc. resorted to putting it on shuffle for the time being until I have the time to go through and rename all the tracks. Strange that some of yours are just missing, could this be due to the naming format of those specific tracks maybe.

Yeah I realised this as soon as I put the card in after spending a while putting the music on them. A lot of the tracks are named with number first so it plays all the 1s then 2s etc. resorted to putting it on shuffle for the time being until I have the time to go through and rename all the tracks. Strange that some of yours are just missing, could this be due to the naming format of those specific tracks maybe.

Yeah mate, mine was like that too, then I realised I had to name them 01,02,03 etc, for it to work correctly

Reactions: stetheo