No hot air from heaters at idle.

kyleseo

Reaction score
Car is a 2004 2.0 TDi BKD.

I noticed this on the way home from work this evening; I'm sure it wasn't the case this morning.

At idle or at low speeds the blowers will only give cold air. Once the revs are up it'll start to blow hot. The temp on the dash is sat at 90 degrees.

The radiator is hot although the hose coming from the front of the engine (below dip stick) is cold. I opened the expansion tank a little to see if there was pressure and coolant has nigh-on filled the tank....

Does any one have an idea of what could be the cause? I'll scan it tonight.

Thanks

Have you had any work done on the car of late, could be an airlock.

stat
water pump

does it get to 90 ?

No. But, I cracked the expansion tank open again and it bubbled and sounded like someone up ending a bottle of water - sort of glugging. I've now seen a fair amount of coolant to the left of the engine where it can pool and some on the under tray. It looks as though it has come from around the expansion tank. It no longer does it when I open the expansion tank so I can't get a visual on where its coming from.

Are there any common areas it might go? Would a leak somewhere explain the symptoms?

Thanks for the help.

It sat at 90 quite happily for the commute home yes.

could have been an air lock

Are leaks around the expansion tank common?
Could that have drawn air in after this mornings commute and cause said problems on the way home?

You can see where coolant has run from under the expansion tank and down the engine bay. Damned if I can see where its come from though!

so is the water low ?

did the water come out when you took the lid off ?

The coolant currently stands well above the fill mark, basically at the top. That occured after opening the expansion tank. Potentially due to air in the rest of the system?

Tbh I don't know if it came out when I opened the tank or whether it was doing it the whole way home. Its dark and coolant was pooled further in the bay....

Scratch that - coolant from expansion looks to have come out the overflow on the tank. Must have happened when I opened it.

Would a dodgy stat create too much pressure on one side of the system thus filling the tank when top was removed?

Scratch that - coolant from expansion looks to have come out the overflow on the tank. Must have happened when I opened it.

Would a dodgy stat create too much pressure on one side of the system thus filling the tank when top was removed?

Check the return pipe back to the expansion tank if it's poor it's your water pump especially when you have. Heating at high rpms.

How much should be running from the return pipe into the tank? A constant flow even from cold?

Thanks for the help.

There was flow from the expansion line. I must admit, I don't know how much there should be normally.

Local indy reckoned water pump - replaced and all seems fine. There was damage to the fins of the existing pump.