Ignition coil pack and spark plugs

sliced

Drive safe, stay alive.
Reaction score
Hi guys I had my spark plugs recently replaced, to help solve a misfire, didn't do much.

Now ive done a vcds scan and it says misfire in cyclinder 1,

I've taken out the ignition coil of cylinder one and it has some black oil on it, is this bad? Should i replace the coil? the spark plugs were replaced less than 300 miles ago.

oil is not good clean it up and swap it with cylinder 2 and see if the miss fire moves to cylinder 2

Reactions: sliced
I wouldn't worry just yet, could be residue from someone else, however remove that coil & plug, peer into the hole & check for any residue, if any, then try safely to clean it up with a lint free cloth, clean up the plug, swap coil with other another cylinder & see if the fault moves to another cylinder, if not then check the alternative coil in cylinder 1 & see if its got oil, if yes then needs more research.

oilyplug.png

heres what the coil looks like, the oily stuff on the coil. will give the area down a good clean, and replace it with a new coil pack, hopefully that will get rid of the misfire :D

Wow Sliced, Yuk! :ohmy:

Once you've solved the misfire, let it cool & get some Autoglym Clean Machine, jab it into all nooks & crannies in your engine bay with a brush, then rinse it away with an open-ended garden hose & dab it dry with either kitchen towels or lint-free cloth. In future you'll see where any oil leaks are coming from a lot easier.

It should look similar to this:

IMG 2714

and that's a 40,000+ mile engine.

Reactions: NHN
Wow Sliced, Yuk! :ohmy:

Once you've solved the misfire, let it cool & get some Autoglym Clean Machine, jab it into all nooks & crannies in your engine bay with a brush, then rinse it away with an open-ended garden hose & dab it dry with either kitchen towels or lint-free cloth. In future you'll see where any oil leaks are coming from a lot easier.

It should look similar to this:

View attachment 23790

and that's a 40,000+ mile engine.

thats one prestine engine bay! Didn't even realise how bad mine was until i saw it on my pc screen and thought hope noone comments on how dirty it is lol.
Is that an R8 oil cap?

Reactions: Artimus
Thanks, and it is, I also have the R8 expansion bottle cap - both from a Group Buy a few months ago. I degreased the engine bay when I fitted them and usually do this to all my cars once a year! as I said, it makes spotting leaks a lot easier.

As for your misfire, if you haven't already, check your plug gaps too, as they can increase slightly with tip\electrode wear.

With cyld #1 so close to oil filler, it's the most likely to fill if someone has been clumsy topping up the engine oil.

Sometimes there's a greasy/oily coating from factory to help stop the coil pack seizing in the hole.
Also to help prevent damage, IMHO it's always good practise to pull the coil pack out using lifting loops. Most use a 2 x cable ties looped around each end of the coil's square top body.

With cyld #1 so close to oil filler, it's the most likely to fill if someone has been clumsy topping up the engine oil.

Sometimes there's a greasy/oily coating from factory to help stop the coil pack seizing in the hole.
Also to help prevent damage, IMHO it's always good practise to pull the coil pack out using lifting loops. Most use a 2 x cable ties looped around each end of the coil's square top body.

Cheers for all the help guys,

I have taken out the old coil, cleaned the inside hole bit very carefully where it goes, and fitted the new coil. I have also run the car, cleared the codes, and done a rescan and the error is not there anymore!

Will take it out for a spin later in the day, and probably rescan it sometime next week to see if it comes back. if not, yay problem solved :D

I love vcds, just need to buy my own cable rather than borrowing the neighbours one!

Reactions: NHN and Artimus
VCDS seems expensive, but it's worth every penny when something's not right or you want to make software changes.

oh, and when you get around to cleaning your engine bay, give it a light dusting of Back to Black to protect it from water and finish it off.