S3 brakes?

wuta3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im going for my Stage2+ map shortly, and don't want to neglect the brakes with all that german mass going quicker. Currently got the standard s-line brakes on the 2.0tfsi, is S3 brakes a worthwhile upgrade in terms of stopping power. Don't want to go bonkers with AP or anything.

Cheers

Last edited:
Bigger disc circumference but not by much - personally if I was going to go to the hassle of changing the brakes I would look at TTRS/RS3/R8 - why not just consider a better pad and disc of same size?

Other than that, S3 brakes would be fine if you get a cheap enough set and do the work yourself - I have 350bhp in my S3 on standard brakes and does the car perfectly for my style of driving.

Reactions: wuta3
Hi guys,

Im going for my Stage2+ map shortly, and don't want to neglect the brakes with all that german mass going quicker. Currently got the standard s-line brakes on the 2.0tfsi, is S3 brakes a worthwhile upgrade in terms of stopping power. Don't want to go bonkers with AP or anything.

Cheers

i upgraded to S3 brakes with mine, and the diffrence was WELL WORTH WHILE i cant even say enough.
i bought a full set of 4 for about £550 which i thought was reasonable.

The front ones are very good and make a difference. They are also cheap enough and can be easily found these days. Even so, a good set of disks and pads is required. Otherwise...
When I bought mine I've paid over 1k euros for the whole stuff (cariers, calipers, lines, disks, pads, bolts etc.).

Bigger disc circumference but not by much - personally if I was going to go to the hassle of changing the brakes I would look at TTRS/RS3/R8 - why not just consider a better pad and disc of same size?

Other than that, S3 brakes would be fine if you get a cheap enough set and do the work yourself - I have 350bhp in my S3 on standard brakes and does the car perfectly for my style of driving.

Cheers Boydie, I was reading the brakes thread and I think i'd need to get some 19"s for the TTRS/RS3 setup and deal with the other differences whereas IIRC the S3 brakes should just pop on. Starts adding up to serious ££££, which is fine but want to spend wisely not cheaply.

The front ones are very good and make a difference. They are also cheap enough and can be easily found these days. Even so, a good set of disks and pads is required. Otherwise...
When I bought mine I've paid over 1k euros for the whole stuff (cariers, calipers, lines, disks, pads, bolts etc.).

Cool, the issue is my disks and pads are done, so need changing anyway, so looking for a cost effective upgrade really. 1k euro is a bit much, might do better searching second-hand/low mileage callipers.

You can do fine with the front only. Most likely your rear ones are 280mm. Mine are 255mm and I never felt the need to upgrade them too.
When I'll hit the track (hopefully next year) I'll see if they also need an upgrade.

what power will you be at being stage 2+? I'd imagine S3 brake setup with braided lines and Pagid blue pads would be sufficient. If tracking though I'd rule them out completely.

I have the S3 calipers with USR grooved discs and braided hoses fitted onto my A3 2010 2.0 TDI (following a remap etc..) - the car stops on the dot. These brakes are ridiculously good and I am very happy for the upgrade. I bought the refurbed calipers, discs, pads and braided hoses from a company on eBay called "gbautomotive2010" and I could not recommend them any higher. Dave there looked after me perfectly, sourcing all the parts I needed plus speaking to USR directly in order to get me silver (not gold or black) discs. The cost was around £350 for the calipers, then about another £150 for pads, braided hoses, USR discs and delivery.

S3 fronts are for me very good setup, we only changed to TTRS today for research to see how good they are, not at all because the S3 345m are poor, infact they've saved our bacon number of times with other shxt road users.

So Wuta I have a set of S3 front brakes with discs available if interested, PM for more info.

S3 fronts are for me very good setup, we only changed to TTRS today for research to see how good they are, not at all because the S3 345m are poor, infact they've saved our bacon number of times with other shxt road users.

So Wuta I have a set of S3 front brakes with discs available if interested, PM for more info.

Nige, did you run the ttrs setup on 18's?

Yeap TD's in 18's, 1-2mm clearance, fit fine :)

Reactions: S3_Jacko