Badger5Chris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

intercooler problem

originally my turbo had gone, causing internal damage to my engine. i have now fitted a new engine and turbo but umsure of what to do with my intercooler, as in do i clean it out , or get a new one? can i get away with just cleaning it out

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andy smith View Post
    originally my turbo had gone, causing internal damage to my engine. i have now fitted a new engine and turbo but umsure of what to do with my intercooler, as in do i clean it out , or get a new one? can i get away with just cleaning it out
    We always fit a new one at work. (Landrover) So I should assume its good practice to fit a new one. Good chance to upgrade anyway.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

2nd Gear

Status
    ist good practice to replace but i have just pressure washed them out before and leave to dry on its side for a few days

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    cleaned them out with degreaser and pressure washer etc as above, but it's my own car and i understand the potential issues.

2nd Gear

Status
    When you say your turbo had gone what did it do ?

I cannt see any issues with flushing it , I know dealers do it as its the technically right thing to do along with all the Ic pipes make sure it's gone nothing in but you shouldn't get metal pass through the I'v the fins are that small just wash it out from the engine side and expell the water out the side that leads to the turbo if that makes sense

5th Gear

Status
    Mu turbo blew up 7 mo ths ago and my intercooler still has oil in it so im fitting s3 after winter ive already bought it its in the garage
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI140 View Post
    Mu turbo blew up 7 mo ths ago and my intercooler still has oil in it so im fitting s3 after winter ive already bought it its in the garage
    Just out of interest, how much did you pay for a s3 intercooler? Got someone asking about mine and I haven't a clue what to sell it for.

2nd Gear

Status
    My mate payed £100 for one 3 weeks ago alloy end one as well

3rd Gear

Status
    Lad who wants mine must be desperate. Offered my 180 if it's in good condition! Haha

5th Gear

Status
    I paid 170 with s3 hoses
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

2nd Gear

Status
    They are £360 new so unless it had damage (a fair few of them do as they come from crashed cars) that was too cheap!

5th Gear

Status
    Mines got bottom panel bit bent but minor guy had it on his 2.0t a3 and has upgraded to a bigger cooler than the s3 one